The Student Room Group

What can I add to or do to make marmite edible?

So I used to like marmite when I was little but now as an adult I think it's nasty but I brough some to try it but it's so disgusting, so salty and the other taste I can't describe is just foul. I can't possibly have anymore to finish the jar, it's just not edible. I don't like wasting things and it was really expensive so want to finish it but can't as it is. Is there anything I can add to it or a recipe where you can't taste it that I could try. Otherwise I'll have to bin it and throw my money down the drain
Have you got friends/neighbours who like marmite? Shove the jar towards them, I'd say. I agree marmite is foul lol
I think there was a marmite bread roll recipe I've tried from my school, kind of like cinnamon roll but with marmite. It borders on tolerable.
Reply 3
Original post by Bookworm524
Have you got friends/neighbours who like marmite? Shove the jar towards them, I'd say. I agree marmite is foul lol

No unfortunately no one in my family likes it and I don't associate with any neighbours to know if they like it.

I did actually see some different flavoured marmite in Tesco ages ago not sure if they still have them, there was a peanut butter one and I can't remember the others. I didn't try them so don't know if they were any good.

It really is foul even a tiny bit goes a long way lol, I don't know how I liked it as a kid or how other people love it 🤮
Reply 4
Original post by Bookworm524
I think there was a marmite bread roll recipe I've tried from my school, kind of like cinnamon roll but with marmite. It borders on tolerable.

Sounds interesting but time consuming, I don't think I'd have the time to bake 🍞
Reply 5
mmm I love marmite :tongue:

try putting a spoonful into a cottage pie (the mince/lentil or whatever component) or other stews/sauces
marmite pasta
marmite and cheese puff pastry pinwheels/twists/cheese straws
marmite and peanut butter on toast/bread is also very nice. as is marmite + peanut butter + jam + banana if you're feeling a little rogue hehe
Reply 6
Toasted crumpets with marmite and cheese are pretty nice. You could probably replace the crumpets with bread too.
Reply 7
It's good for you.
You're not supposed to like it. :smile:
I love the stuff but i second putting it in to cottage pie or shepherd's pie it adds a nice richness to the sauce also try it with cheddar it’s something different i personally like it on toast bread with lots of butter but that’s just me.

Quick Reply

Latest