The Student Room Group

The Proof is 'not-so' Trivial - Physics Edition

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Phichi
Check now, I just edited the post, might be an error, I didn't do it from scratch.

Yeah that's what I got :smile: I'll probably post another question later
Reply 41
Original post by langlitz
Yeah that's what I got :smile: I'll probably post another question later

:smile: I'll post something as well. My last question will take a year to type out, but worth a try.
Reply 42
Original post by lerjj

Would you like an A2 based problem here for you :P? I'm thinking something like Astro, perhaps around luminosity.

Edit: What level are you at? I'm not sure, I want to find a suitable question.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Phichi
Would you like an A2 based problem here for you :P? I'm thinking something like Astro, perhaps around luminosity.

Edit: What level are you at? I'm not sure, I want to find a suitable question.

Technically I'm at As, but I know quite a bit of the A2 syllabus. It's just that I haven't had enough exposure to some of the maths. An astrophysics question would be interesting, thanks.

I'll post a question in a little bit. Just need to check that my solution is correct.
Reply 44
Problem 9- Difficulty *

a)
Consider a regular prism with a cross section that is an n-sided polygon (for a six sided example, you could take an ordinary pencil). The prism is placed on an inclined plane such that it rests on one of it's faces. If the co-efficient of static friction between the face and the plane is μ\mu, determine what condition μ\mu must satisfy so that the polygon will not slide down the plane.

b)
The plane is covered in two layers of spheres, diameter d. Calculate the separation between the layers hh which is the shortest distance between planes that go through the centres of all spheres in a layer.

c) A spherical particle is displaced and lands on the slope such that it drops symmetrically between four other particles, as in Figure 4.3, at a speed v. On impact it loses 50% of its KE. Calculate the smallest value of v so that it continues to bounce down the slope.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by lerjj
Technically I'm at As, but I know quite a bit of the A2 syllabus. It's just that I haven't had enough exposure to some of the maths. An astrophysics question would be interesting, thanks.

I'll post a question in a little bit. Just need to check that my solution is correct.

Are you content with the Stefan-Boltzmann equation for luminosity?
Reply 46
Original post by Phichi
Are you content with the Stefan-Boltzmann equation for luminosity?

I think so. I'll give it a shot anyway. :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by lerjj
Problem 9- Difficulty *

Consider a regular prism with a cross section that is an n-sided polygon (for a six sided example, you could take an ordinary pencil). The prism is placed on an inclined plane such that it rests on one of it's faces. If the co-efficient of static friction between the face and the plane is μ\mu, determine what condition μ\mu must satisfy so that the polygon will not slide down the plane.

I did this via inspection, so I'm hoping there is more. Is the answer:

μtan(90(n2)n)\mu \geq tan\left(\dfrac{90(n-2)}{n}\right)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by Phichi
I did this via inspection, so I'm hoping there is more. Is the answer:

μ>tan(90(n2)n)\mu > tan\left(\dfrac{90(n-2)}{n}\right)

I think you've given the wrong angle in the triangle. I don't have the answers for the question but I can post the second part if you want (really not sure whether my solution to that part is correct though).
Reply 49
Original post by lerjj
I think you've given the wrong angle in the triangle. I don't have the answers for the question but I can post the second part if you want (really not sure whether my solution to that part is correct though).

I've been silly, this:

μtan(180n)\mu \geq tan\left(\dfrac{180}{n}\right)
Reply 50
Original post by Phichi
I've been silly, this:

μtan(180n)\mu \geq tan\left(\dfrac{180}{n}\right)

yep. I'll edit in part 2, but I'm not 100% sure how to solve it.
Reply 51
Original post by lerjj
yep. I'll edit in part 2, but I'm not 100% sure how to solve it.

Go for it. I'll post my solution shortly, after I do the second part.
Problem 10 (Posted Earlier)

Consider a two state system with an orthonormal basis |1> and |2>. These two vectors are eigenvectors of the flavour operator, with |1> representing an electron neutrino and |2> representing a muon neutrino.

If neutrinos are massless, the Hamiltonian for a system like this would have been:
H = E|1><1| + E |2><2|

where E is a positive real constant. If the neutrino originally started in the state ψ(t=0)> | \psi(t=0)> = |1> what is the state of the system at later times t?

Difficulty: *** (But this is the first part to a longer question I will ask, this should be very simple to anyone with a little knowledge of quantum mechanics)
Problem 11**

A wheel of diameter D is rolling along a muddy road at speed v. Particles of mud attached to the wheel are continuously thrown off from all points.

(a) If v2>Dg2 v^2 > \frac{Dg}{2} show that the maximum height above the road attained by flying mud, Hmax H_{max} , is given by:

Hmax=D2+v22g+D2g8v2 H_{max} = \frac{D}{2} + \frac{v^2}{2g} + \frac{D^2 g}{8 v^2}

(b) Show that the range of mud released at this angle is given by:

Unparseable latex formula:

x = -\frac{D}{2} \bigg{[} 1 + \frac{Dg}{2 v^2} + \sqrt{\bigg{(}1-\frac{Dg}{2v^2} \bigg{)} \bigg{(}1+ \frac{Dg}{2v^2} \bigg{)} } \bigg{]}

Original post by WishingChaff
Problem 11**

A wheel of diameter D is rolling along a muddy road at speed v. Particles of mud attached to the wheel are continuously thrown off from all points.

(a) If v2>Dg2 v^2 > \frac{Dg}{2} show that the maximum height above the road attained by flying mud, Hmax H_{max} , is given by:

Hmax=D2+v22g+D2g8v2 H_{max} = \frac{D}{2} + \frac{v^2}{2g} + \frac{D^2 g}{8 v^2}

x = -\frac{D}{2} \bigg{[} 1 + \frac{Dg}{2 v^2} + \sqrt{\bigg{(}1-\frac{Dg}{2v^2} \bigg{)} \bigg{(}1+ \frac{Dg}{2v^2} \bigg{)} } \bigg{]}

Got the first bit, not been able to do b) yet...
Problem 12*

The Lorentz force law for a particle of charge q and mass m in an electric field E \vec{E} and a magnetic field B\vec{B} is: F=q(E+v×B) \vec{F} = q(\vec{E}+\vec{v}\times \vec{B})

a) In a uniform magnetic field in the k^\hat{k} direction the particle moves with a trajectory:
r=bsinθti^bcosθtj^\vec{r}=bsin\theta t\hat{i}-bcos\theta t\hat{j}
Determine the velocity and acceleration, and find θ\theta in terms of B|\vec{B}|
b) Adding in a uniform electric field in the j^\hat{j} direction the trajectory becomes:
r^=(aθt+bsinθt)i^bcosθtj^\hat{r}=(a\theta t+bsin\theta t )\hat{i}-bcos\theta t \hat{j}
Determine the velocity and acceleration, and find a and b in terms of the initial velocity u,θ,E|\vec{u}|,\theta,|\vec{E}| and B|\vec{B}|
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 56
Problem 10 (Posted Earlier)

Consider a two state system with an orthonormal basis |1> and |2>. These two vectors are eigenvectors of the flavour operator, with |1> representing an electron neutrino and |2> representing a muon neutrino.

If neutrinos are massless, the Hamiltonian for a system like this would have been:
H = E|1><1| + E |2><2|

where E is a positive real constant. If the neutrino originally started in the state ψ(t=0)> | \psi(t=0)> = |1> what is the state of the system at later times t?

Difficulty: *** (But this is the first part to a longer question I will ask, this should be very simple to anyone with a little knowledge of quantum mechanics)

Solution 10

I'll add here if I manage to do the others parts.

Using the statement that initially Ψ(t=0)=1|\Psi(t=0)\rangle = |1\rangle, it's equal to one of the eigenvectors.

Ψ(t)=eiEt1|\Psi (t) \rangle = e^{\frac{-iEt}{\hbar}}|1\rangle
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 57
Problem 11**

The LaTeX in part b is just evil.
Question 10 (The interesting stuff)

Now, given your initial conditions, what is the probability that you will measure your neutrino to be a muon neutrino at a time t=T?

If instead the neutrinos have mass, the Hamiltonian would be given by:

H=E1><1+E2><2+ϵ1><2+ϵ2><1 H = E |1><1| + E|2><2| + \epsilon |1><2| + \epsilon |2><1|

where ϵ \epsilon is some positive real value that is dependent on the two masses of the neutrinos. What are the energy eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian?

Finally, if we use the previous Hamiltonian but, the same initial conditions we had, what is the probability that you will measure your neutrino to be a muon neutrino at a time t=T?

(I think this is a great way to show undergraduates a simple model for neutrino oscillations)

Original post by Phichi
Solution 10

I'll add here if I manage to do the others parts.

Using the statement that initially Ψ(t=0)=1|\Psi(t=0)\rangle = |1\rangle, it's equal to one of the eigenvectors.

Ψ(t)=eiEt1|\Psi (t) \rangle = e^{\frac{-iEt}{\hbar}}|1\rangle
Reply 59
Original post by langlitz
Got the first bit, not been able to do b) yet...

Can you give me a hint? I got this somehow:

Spoiler

I get the impression the second part is going to be harder...
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest