The Student Room Group

Random Walk Distance question

I know that s=xNs=x \sqrt {N} gives the distance moved by the particle after N number of collision of intervals xm between collisions.

1. Why is it the square root of N?

2. My revision guide says that it will take 10,000,000 steps to travel 1m from the starting point, assuming collisions take 1x10-7m.
however, s=(1×107)×10,000,0001ms=(1\times 10^-7) \times \sqrt {10,000,000} \not= 1m
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Mutleybm1996
I know that s=xNs=x \sqrt {N} gives the distance moved by the particle after N number of collision of intervals xm between collisions.

1. Why is it the square root of N?

2. My revision guide says that it will take 10,000,000 steps to travel 1m from the starting point, assuming collisions take 1x10-7m.
however, s=(1×107)×10,000,0001ms=(1\times 10^-7) \times \sqrt {10,000,000} \not= 1m

The average displacement you expect to be is zero, because the positive and negative displacements cancel out. However, the square of your displacement should increase with N. How much?

The average displacement (squared) after one step is always 1. You can then prove that the difference in the squares between D2N and D2N-1 is equal to 1. Induction gets you the rest of the way.
Original post by lerjj
The average displacement you expect to be is zero, because the positive and negative displacements cancel out. However, the square of your displacement should increase with N. How much?

The average displacement (squared) after one step is always 1. You can then prove that the difference in the squares between D2N and D2N-1 is equal to 1. Induction gets you the rest of the way.

That seems a little complicated for sixth form level :/
But thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Mutleybm1996
That seems a little complicated for sixth form level :/
But thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

The whole business dealing with squares is just to get rid of the fact that otherwise you get zero for average displacement, it's very similar to why you take a root mean square with alternating voltages.

I don't think I explained how you actually get there very well TBH. Just know that if you want to prove it, the simplest way is probably to prove that after N steps, the average of your squared distance away ought to be N as well.
Original post by lerjj
The whole business dealing with squares is just to get rid of the fact that otherwise you get zero for average displacement, it's very similar to why you take a root mean square with alternating voltages.

I don't think I explained how you actually get there very well TBH. Just know that if you want to prove it, the simplest way is probably to prove that after N steps, the average of your squared distance away ought to be N as well.

Thank you :smile:

Okay, could you possibly explain how the revision guide suggests that that results in 1m?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lerjj

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1420319568.350552.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

umm.. they appear to have just ignored that whole N\sqrt{N} thing entirely there. You would need 10e7 steps to travel 1m if each step went 10e-7 only if they were all in the same direction. If they were random then you'd have to go 10e14 steps.

Quick Reply

Latest