The Student Room Group

How much culture can you fit in one year? A TSR Experiment Returns.

Scroll to see replies

Ah, this seems interesting.
Ill sign up and do TV and video games (since those are the ones which has a lower chance of burning through my 16 year old jobless wallet).
I aim to watch around 30 new (enough) TV series and stuff that seems interesting.
I also want to at least play 20 new games although if i can't afford them, ill have 2 games watched (as in seeing someone play them on youtube) equal 1 new game.
I'm in.
Original post by Arkasia
I'm in.

What are your categories? :yum:
Original post by Aria Enoshima
Ah, this seems interesting.
Ill sign up and do TV and video games (since those are the ones which has a lower chance of burning through my 16 year old jobless wallet).
I aim to watch around 30 new (enough) TV series and stuff that seems interesting.
I also want to at least play 20 new games although if i can't afford them, ill have 2 games watched (as in seeing someone play them on youtube) equal 1 new game.

Awesome! :awesome: Ahaha, gaming videos on Youtube are my demise... I once watched Two Friends Play Mario Party for like three hours... :getmecoat: That was a sad afternoon.
Original post by SirMasterKey
Me and a friend both said we would finish it before each other back when we were doing A-levels. He at least started it whereas I haven't yet. However he didn't finish it. I can still win 5 years later :lol:

I'm not convinced that book was ever meant to be read.... :ninja:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
What are your categories? :yum:

Awesome! :awesome: Ahaha, gaming videos on Youtube are my demise... I once watched Two Friends Play Mario Party for like three hours... :getmecoat: That was a sad afternoon.

All of them :colone:
Original post by Arkasia
All of them :colone:

I wouldn't expect anything else from you. :wink: :tongue:

Go make a blog then :smile:

Will do :smile:
I'm not convinced that book was ever meant to be read.... :ninja:

I will do it :fuhrer:
I'd decided to watch a new film a week for a year anyway, might as well do it with you guys :mmm:
Set a challenge for myself to read 40 books for this year. :smile:

Also catch up on all those films everyone else has seen except me.
Awesome! Welcome aboard to both of you!

Original post by CatnipGlows
I'd decided to watch a new film a week for a year anyway, might as well do it with you guys :mmm:

At the cinema or just films you've never seen before? For example, on my list to watch is 12 Angry Men (1957) and Metropolis (1927). Whilst there are not "new" I have never watched them. Found them both it is just setting time aside to watch them now.

Original post by NikolaT
Set a challenge for myself to read 40 books for this year. :smile:

Also catch up on all those films everyone else has seen except me.

Oooh which films? I have loads that loads of people have seen but I haven't, e.g. Avengers Assemble. Although that does not really appeal to me.
Original post by SirMasterKey
Awesome! Welcome aboard to both of you!

At the cinema or just films you've never seen before? For example, on my list to watch is 12 Angry Men (1957) and Metropolis (1927). Whilst there are not "new" I have never watched them. Found them both it is just setting time aside to watch them now.

Oooh which films? I have loads that loads of people have seen but I haven't, e.g. Avengers Assemble. Although that does not really appeal to me.

Just films I've never seen before.
A mixture of films that I want to see, classic films that I should see and some random wildcards.

So far I've watched Bad Milo, Fight Club, Star Wars 4 and Star Wars 5 :biggrin:
How's your little challenge coming along?
Original post by Evening
That I haven't read for this year?

The Hobbit - J.R.R Tolkien
Orlando - Virginia Woolf
The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
The Psychedelic Experience - Timothy Leary
Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami
The War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells
Voss - Patrick White
Remembering Babylon - David Malouf
For Wholm The Bells Toll - Ernest Hemingway
Down and Out in Paris and London - George Orwell
Burmese Days - George Orwell
Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
Farenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
The Beautiful and the Damned - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Lord of the Flies - William Golding
Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
The Outsider - Albert Camus
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
Frankenstein - Mary Shelly
Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
Metamorphosis - Frank Kavka
Moby Dick - Herman Melville
Mrs Dalloway - Orlando Bloom
Ulysses - James Joyce
War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
Pride and the Prejudice - Jane Austen
To Have and to Have Not - Ernest Hemingway
Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe
Junky - William Boroughs
Les Miserables - Victor Hugo

Ulysses, War and Peace AND Les Miserables? That's brave :tongue:
I'm in!
Original post by CatnipGlows
Just films I've never seen before.
A mixture of films that I want to see, classic films that I should see and some random wildcards.

So far I've watched Bad Milo, Fight Club, Star Wars 4 and Star Wars 5 :biggrin:
How's your little challenge coming along?

Just the one film that I've never seen before so but it's only day 9/365. There is plenty of time to fix that. :wink:

Still on book 1/52 and should hopefully finish that one soon. Then I'll change series and read some books that are slightly shorter to keep myself motivated. As good as A Song of Ice and Fire is it is heavy going and the books start getting bigger and bigger. Music wise, not listened to anyone new yet just what is already on my laptop.
I'm in :h: my two main objectives are going to be film related;
*See at least 52 movies at the cinema, maybe try and hit 100- Maximum Cineworld Unlimited Value :ahee: my friend and I go at least once a week as we both have Unlimited cards, so turning those trips into double bills is doable.
*Work my way through the IMDB top 100, in order. I've seen a small chunk but I'll probably start at the top and work down. Godfather trilogy this weekend I think!

I'll also be trying to cram in as much quality TV as I can, as well as attempt to start working through my Steam Library of games that have never been touched. I'm not making any specific reading objectives but I'd quite like to re-read A Song of Ice and Fire and the companion works before the end of the year. Between this and my photography resolutions it's gonna be a busy year!

Thread here :smile:

I'm also stealing your thread format :ahee:
I'll give it a go :biggrin: I'm quite busy atm, but I'll do my best!
Original post by CongressTart
I'll give it a go :biggrin: I'm quite busy atm, but I'll do my best!

:woo:

Doesn't have to be excessive! :lol: Reasonable goals :tongue:
:woo:

Doesn't have to be excessive! :lol: Reasonable goals :tongue:

Haha, that's why I'm not setting any specific numbers. I know that I'll overestimate and end up disappointed later :lol:

At the moment, my goals for this challenge are simple:

- Watch as many films as possible
- Read as many books as possible (that aren't a requirement for my course)
- Write more Goodreads reviews

My accounts are here if you're interested:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/profiles/congresstart/ (As you can see, my taste in movies is pretty awful) https://www.goodreads.com/CongressTart20

Otherwise, I'll keep you posted :wink:

Original post by Evening
That I haven't read for this year?

Metamorphosis - Frank Kavka

Keep an eye out for this getting repeated (and R4 do repeat things:biggrin:): http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007d9kj

I don't really do books anymore (most of my free time is travelling and I get travel sick if I read) :o: but I adore radio/audio books I need to get round to listening to http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04knt4h this month.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending