The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Dmu vs uni of roehampton/london

Hey guys,

Can anyone help me choose between these two unis I’m having a hard time deciding.

Has anyone been/know about these unis of course London as in the city would be better for day to day in terms of social scene.

Any advice and guidance would be much appreciated and useful :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Manip01
Hey guys,

Can anyone help me choose between these two unis I’m having a hard time deciding.

Has anyone been/know about these unis of course London as in the city would be better for day to day in terms of social scene.

Hi there @Manip01 - I hope you're okay! I can't speak as a student of DMU, or of London, but generally about finding a University that fits you - and what factors you should consider - I can help with!:biggrin:

Choosing which University or City that you could spend the next few years in is definitely a pretty big decision - it felt like that to me. It's generally said that the best city you choose to study in for you is different for everyone! It's not a one size fits all and most major cities do have a plethora of activities, food, and amenities for your spare time and life outside of Uni:hippie:

Personally I'm from Leicester, born and bred, so I know the city pretty well and it does have great food options for basically any diet! I'm a foodie so this was a big factor for me. Having the options out there, also the cultural and general diversity that this usually brings, was something I wanted when I was looking at where to study. Leicester also has night life and has come a long way with social activities such as Fosse Park & Everards Meadows (for walks and shopping), in the city: Social Climbing (rock climbing) and Caddyshackers (mini-golf), as well as a continued big cultural presence with the Curve and Athena with live bands and performers (Leicester Comedy fest!) at various other independent venues around the city too! :thrasher:

The social scene isn't as large as London - mostly as the city is a lot smaller and easier to navigate!- but it does have some great options and is not too expensive either:colondollar:

I would say that your gut feeling when you're in these cities should guide you. And definitely consider, if you can squeeze them in, Open Days! Sometimes a place or city feels like it just fits! Also, which one you feel has more of the activities and amenities that you would prefer to enjoy your time outside of your studies. Cost can also be a factor, it was for me, and this may be something to compare between the two cities - accommodation and transport wise (especially travelling home for the holidays or elsewhere if you need a little retreat).:cool:

Everyone's different! As I knew I wanted to move away, for the experience and independence, I personally didn't really consider Leicester to study. Again, that's dependent on the person! One of my best friends was born and bred here and went to University here (lived in halls for the first two years, then back at home for the final year, to save money) and they had an amazing experience! Whichever you choose I'm sure you'll have a blast yourself:elefant:

- Rose:rose:, De Montfort University Rep.
(edited 8 months ago)
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by Manip01
Hey guys,

Hi there!

I am a current student at DMU and I have been for 4 years now! I will be doing my masters here at DMU this year making my total time here 5 years! As a student I love it at DMU! Picking a university is such a personal choice and there are so many factors to think of when deciding! Take your time and maybe visit the universities to get a feel of what it would be like to be a student there. I am originally from Birmingham and I love Leicetser so much I have moved here permanently!

Socially, Leicester is amazing! There are so many thing to do from pubs and clubs to mini golf to bowling. The social scene here is amazing. There are always so many events, especially around culture, and always so much to do regardless of your tastes! Leicester is such a cultural city and there are so many different food places also. I have made so many friends here and definitely friends for life.

DMU is a city based university so there are so many things just a short walk away. In town there is Lane 7 where you can do bowling and karaoke, there is Treetop Golf and Caddyshackers for mini golf, and so many bars and pubs to visit with friends. My personal favourite is just on the edge of campus called Soar Point. Here they do bingo on a Thursday and a Pub Quiz on a Sunday where you can win fun prizes. You can also play games whilst you eat and watch sports!

There is so much to do in Leicester, but the choice is completely yours! It is a personal choice that no one other than you can decide! I would definitely recommend visiting and seeing for yourself how you feel there!

Best of luck!
Hannah:bear:, Psychology Student!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending