The Student Room Group

no one wants to hire me

ive been jobless for 3 years since i finished a levels at 18
i just dk what to do
i got 779 and abb at school thinking it will easily get me a job
but im struggling harder than my sister who doesn't even have a levels or equivalent
what should i apply as? everything requires a drivers licence and experience T_T
im so sad
Reply 1
Jobs seem to want experience more than anything, if there's any way you can do something voluntary to get some experience that would be great but obviously not feasible for everyone (and you shouldn't have to work for free). Organisations & charities like Endorphins are a good place to look for a paid role that will give you experience but the downside of this is it's unreliable hours and only part-time but could be ideal for a younger person living at home. Other than that, I would say work on your CV and if it's a bit bare it would really help to write a brief cover letter as it gives the employers more of a sense of who you are & why you want to work with them allowing them to overlook a lack of experience (depends on the role but lack of experience is not an immediate no). Also don't be afraid to drop your CV in places you'd like to work, even if they don't have a current opening because they'll keep it on file and notify you if any positions open up & lots of places (especially cafes etc) still put help wanted signs in the window.
Original post by anonymoussse
i just dk what to do
but im struggling harder than my sister who doesn't even have a levels or equivalent
what should i apply as? everything requires a drivers licence and experience T_T
im so sad

Get a driver's license?
Reply 3
3 years is a long time

do you have a job centre (or similar) nearby?

unfortunately as you may have found a good job application is much more than just your school grades and knowing what to apply for and how is just the beginning and it will help to go over your situation with someone who knows what they're doing
Reply 4
Original post by HoldThisL
3 years is a long time

do you have a job centre (or similar) nearby?

unfortunately as you may have found a good job application is much more than just your school grades and knowing what to apply for and how is just the beginning and it will help to go over your situation with someone who knows what they're doing

I just wasted so much time on studying. Studying all the time since year 10 and basically threw my life away for it. Had major exam anxiety for the next 4 years
It just doesn't make sense how none of it MATTERS. Why do we get so scared into revising...
At a level all I did was memorise a textbook and barely learnt anything
I'm so sad I didn't make friends or dance more or do anything with my life
Reply 5
i just dk what to do
im so sad

Same issue with me I am working as digital marketing at least 3 years but no one hire me I am applying most time in companies with my portfolio but no answer any one what can I do .If anybody give you any choice kindly share with me
I just wasted so much time on studying. Studying all the time since year 10 and basically threw my life away for it. Had major exam anxiety for the next 4 years
It just doesn't make sense how none of it MATTERS. Why do we get so scared into revising...
At a level all I did was memorise a textbook and barely learnt anything
I'm so sad I didn't make friends or dance more or do anything with my life

People want smart, capable people, but culture & personality fit are as important.

And tbh a moderate set of GCSEs & A-levels isn’t a great sales pitch (there are millions of people in the UK with this).
Your better off selling commitment, hard work, mouldable & will follow guidance + then add btw i also have these qualifications.

Having 3 years of holes on your cv doesn’t look great so id also look to get some volunteering or charity experience.
(edited 6 months ago)
Go the job centre now.
Reply 8
Original post by mnot
People want smart, capable people, but culture & personality fit are as important.

And tbh a moderate set of GCSEs & A-levels isn’t a great sales pitch (there are millions of people in the UK with this).
Your better off selling commitment, hard work, mouldable & will follow guidance + then add btw i also have these qualifications.

Having 3 years of holes on your cv doesn’t look great so id also look to get some volunteering or charity experience.

really we waste our most time in studying If we learn any skill now I am earn some money and don't worry about our life at this time
Original post by jossol
really we waste our most time in studying If we learn any skill now I am earn some money and don't worry about our life at this time

Not sure I agree that any time studying is wasted, what I would say is general education can be used as a key to build specific expertise, specific expertise is very very valuable.

However you are not at that point yet, A-levels & GCSE are very broad-general standard.

when it comes to job its skills & expertise + fit & culture.
Original post by jossol

Kinda sounds like you're looking at this all wrong. Saying learning skills is a waste of time us really just frustrated petulance.
Reply 11
Original post by mnot

Agreed with this, I realised there's not much point having general knowledge if I can't apply it and the right behaviours to the job I'm applying for. Definitely should find some experience from volunteering or entry-level roles that don't need experience, like bar/restaurant/fast food work. Job centres can also help with this and give extra tips on what to do to help set you on a good path

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending