The Student Room Group

Lancaster University or University of Nottingham

I have offers from both Lancaster and Nottingham for Bsc management degree. As I am an international student I am not able to visit the university in-person. Both are nearly equal in world ranking wise as well as in my subject ranking. But Lancaster University's location is not as good as Nottingham's though I am not a partying type of person I want to find a part time job. Lancaster is not in russell group either but I have heard that Nottingham's support is bad.I t's ranking fell from 72 to 114 until this year where it went up. I have seen from couple of websites including Google reviews that racism at Lancaster seems to be more than Nottingham's. Please help me in choosing the right University.Thank you for your response 😊
Reply 1
Please help me
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Theghostman
I have offers from both Lancaster and Nottingham for Bsc management degree. As I am an international student I am not able to visit the university in-person. Both are nearly equal in world ranking wise as well as in my subject ranking. But Lancaster University's location is not as good as Nottingham's though I am not a partying type of person I want to find a part time job. Lancaster is not in russell group either but I have heard that Nottingham's support is bad.I t's ranking fell from 72 to 114 until this year where it went up. I have seen from couple of websites including Google reviews that racism at Lancaster seems to be more than Nottingham's. Please help me in choosing the right University.Thank you for your response 😊

Hi Ghostman, ghostlady here.
I live in nottingham and my daughter studies at Lancaster. I can tell you the differences socially between the two. Russel group does not make much of a difference really. Lancaster is in the top ten in the complete uni guide, so its pretty high up. Although there will be people that will also say ignore the guides too.
Daughter does physics but prior to that we use to watch a vlogger that did management and business at Lancaster uni and she loved it. And also they have this brand new swanky building which is gorgeous. Please do not read into racism at Lancaster. there was like 1 incident in halls which got some press due to the person making it public and the uni did put a statement out but that was a couple of years back. Please see post number 424 here abour diversity:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6560708&p=93727784&page=22#post93727784

lancaster has got international university of the year and there are a lot of students from a lot of different cultures. The city is smaller, so its going to be less diverse as a bigger city like nottingham, but ive not heard of any issues since. I often keep an eye out on the student ran website just incase something pops up.
So what you have is lancaster city being smaller than nottingham. she found it less overwhelming to live in the city and would much prefer it to notts or ither big cities. It still has all that you need shops wise, and numerous bars and 3 clubs. From walking from the south of the city to the north takes about 15 mins. Nottingham is around a 1/3 of a size bigger id say.
one think i love is the woodland walk around campus. its lovely. you dont have to do all of it you can do some, but its great for students who need to chill and de-stress.
Busses run every 10 mins or so and they take 15 mins to get into the city, plus futher on to the morecambe coastline which is great.
You tubers international at Lancaster worth watching are:
https://www.youtube.com/@FrancesChuks/videos
https://www.youtube.com/@louisebikeri/videos
I have done like a blog on here as well you may find useful https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6904136

So thats lancaster.
Nottingham uni where I live has got good transport links. if you are talking about the university of Nottingham (not nottingham trent uni) then its about 10-15 mins to the city on the tram from campus. So, your travelling time for both cities is around the same. I know the campus is pretty big, just as big as lancasters and both also boast a lake as well. Ive been round both and they are very nice. Nottingham city centre is bigger and you have the cornerhouse which is popular for students and it has more clubs. Jobs wise its tricky to say. I would think demographically you would be better at nottingham with it being bigger, but wehn daughter searched for one she got hers in lancaster in a space of 3 weeks of searching. She works in a clothes shop in the city. Plus with both unis, you get older students leaving and graduating and that leaves jobs for new comers coming in. Nottingham is diverse, I know that when I go into town I see lots of students of different cultures like with Lancaster as well.
Nottingham has trams as well as buses.

im sure theres bound to be some you tubers for nottingham uni that are international students.

you do have 2 great choices of uni. I would consider in terms of support as well. i know for lancaster you can chat to students here : https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/
Reply 3
Not a party person? Then choose Lancaster.
Its a much smaller. cosier Uni and in a pretty historical town.
Reply 4
Hi! I'm a history student ambassador at Lancaster University and thought I might be able to help you here.

Lancaster is definitely not a party town, although there is enough nightlife for people to take part in if they want to. It's a pretty small town but it is 100% possible to get a part time job - I had one in my third year (this year) and know plenty of people that had them all three years. There are on-campus jobs, which are pretty high in-demand, and jobs in the town which is only a short bus-ride away and accessible by bus throughout the night if your job runs late (it is also a very safe city from my experience). Lancaster also has a very large international student-community, and has previously won the international university of the year award.

While I can't say anything about Nottingham, I would definitely recommend Lancaster.
Hope this helps, please reach out if you have any more questions.
~ Georgia
Original post by Theghostman

My name is Emmanuel and I'm a 3rd Year student of History & Politics at Lancaster University. First of all, I'll address the specific queries you have. Because Lancaster University is not within the city, it's a pretty calm place from my experience and you don't end up with too much noise in your face. Of course, students of all interests are part of our community but if you would like a quieter spot on campus, it is possible to apply for accommodation in a collegiate further away from the center of the campus if you think that suits your preferences. It's an academically rigorous institution that has returned into the Top 10 University Guide but also has support from Office Hours of seminar tutors and lecturers, faculty librarians and Academic Tutors to help your learning. I have gained 4 part time jobs with the University in my time as a Departmental Ambasador for 2 departments, Research Intern and General Student Ambassador. Vacancies are always updating and available on the website for our Employment & Recruitment Service (ERS): https://temps.lancaster-university.co.uk/vacancies/vacancy-search-results.aspx and the number of facilities on campus mean a wide variety of posts are filled by students. 10% of Lancaster's population is university students so you also find quite a few jobs in shops, pubs and bars around the city center to name a few places.

Finally, I can comment quite personally about racism and antiracist work at Lancaster so I'm dedicating a separate paragraph to that. Racism is a problem at many HE institutions, but it is not easy to tell accurately how many incidents take place and what exactly is happening to challenge problems because so much information is not easily accessible. However, Lancaster has been a place where I have met and been involved with many like minded people to tackle racial inequalities. The University is currently pursuing the Bronze Award for the Race Equality Charter and Internships including mine own have been created to allow students to share experiences with staff and help students of South Asian, Muslim and Black backgrounds to enter and thrive in the Higher Education sector. I would definitely recommend getting in touch with any staff and reading reports/blogs you can find to see how well Universities are addressing these issues.

And to finish off this response, I'll just add a few thoughts about my experiences as a student at LancasterUniversity in more general terms:

I've really enjoyed my time as an Undergraduate student. It is a University with a collegiate system: each student is part of one of the 8 Undergraduate colleges that each has study and social spaces, welfare spaces, accommodation, and multiple sports clubs. You can get involved as much or as little as you want with the college but it is often a big part of students' experiences at Lancaster and its support is always present whether you're on-site or off-campus (like most of the returning students are). Another big part of the student experience is the campus orientation of Lancaster: halls of residence, academic facilities, convenience stores, sports grounds, etc. are all on the same site. That means students can settle into a safe environment where everything they need is in one place. We have nearly 250 student societies, many green spaces in the city center, and many other forms of entertainment. The city center is only 3 and a half miles away, easily commutable by bus and the train station has direct connections to many big cities across the UK. Those are some main points of information about student experiences but I would recommend an Open Day Visit if you want to get a personal feel for the University.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending