The Student Room Group

Help with Russian

Me being stupid decided to take a language module this year, I am in the 3rd year of my degree and got fed up with doing science. I really enjoyed french and german at school so decided to take Russian to make up my credits this year.

I am regretting it a bit now - I am struggling with it and wondered if anyone had got any advice. I have just about grasped the printed alphabet (I can write the handwritten script but can't read it,) but..... I really struggle with reading anything. I end up sounding out each letter and trying to say the whole word like that, which is ok for one word, but doesn't really work with a sentence! Also, how to people remember the spellings of words, I can vagely recognise words, but havn't got a clue how to spell anything!

Has anyone got any advice they can give me please!?!? I'm just felling a bit stupid at the moment, none of it seems to be 'clicking' however much time I put into it. It was probably pretty stupid of me starting it in my third year really I just felt like trying it.
Reply 1
Well, when reading it, the best thing to do is to try and just say the whole word, regardless of how you think it sounds. There are often 5 consonants together and if you try and pronounce it letter by letter, you're not going to be able to ever say it.
And spelling is a nightmare, especially when you come to pluralising words and have the ы or и pain. All you can do is just practise writing them over and over...

Latest

Trending

Trending