The Student Room Group

A level Russian

Hello I will take russian a level and I would like to ask people who took the test . What did you get for russian a level and how hard is it in the scale from 1 to 10 to get A*. P.s: I'm native speaker and I prepared for paper 1, read the book queen of spades, watched the film Leviafan and prepared for speaking . The only thing that i am scared of is paper 2 where I have to write 2 essays since I didn't write too much essays. If it is hard could you please send me some resources or give me some tips on how should I prepare for this paper
Original post by Hamguy22
Hello I will take russian a level and I would like to ask people who took the test . What did you get for russian a level and how hard is it in the scale from 1 to 10 to get A*. P.s: I'm native speaker and I prepared for paper 1, read the book queen of spades, watched the film Leviafan and prepared for speaking . The only thing that i am scared of is paper 2 where I have to write 2 essays since I didn't write too much essays. If it is hard could you please send me some resources or give me some tips on how should I prepare for this paper

Shouldn't be too difficult provided you nail the essays.
Don't know much about preparation, but this should help: https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/russian-2017.html
Reply 2
Have you taken this exam?
Reply 3
Original post by justlearning1469
Shouldn't be too difficult provided you nail the essays.
Don't know much about preparation, but this should help: https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/russian-2017.html

I have already checked it and I am a bit worried how hard is it to get A*
I have already checked it and I am a bit worried how hard is it to get A*

Won't be too difficult as a native speaker. Just worry about the essays and other exam technique, and you should get A*
Reply 5
Won't be too difficult as a native speaker. Just worry about the essays and other exam technique, and you should get A*

Have you taken this exam and if yes could you tell me please how much did you get and how much should I get to get an A*
Have you taken this exam and if yes could you tell me please how much did you get and how much should I get to get an A*

Haven't taken the exam, but shouldn't be too hard for you
Reply 7
Haven't taken the exam, but shouldn't be too hard for you

Ok, many thanks for your response 😊

Nah, A-level MFL can be difficult even for native speakers.
Original post by Talkative Toad

fair
Reply 10

Have you taken this exam ?
Have you taken this exam ?

Nope but did A-level French
Reply 12
Nope but did A-level French

Ohh, did you have an essay there and could I ask you what did you get for the exam
Ohh, did you have an essay there and could I ask you what did you get for the exam

Yeah, had to analyse a book and film (or you could analyse 2 books).
Reply 14

Im taking the exam this year and basically it’s a simple gsce essay tbh. Make sure you memorise quotes and use the PowerPoints provided by the exam board aswell. You should have an intro and at least 3 good points relating to the questions. Make sure u revise some Russian connectives because even as a native speaker it’s hard because personally I don’t use these words on day to day basis.
Reply 15
Original post by K4m1lk4
Im taking the exam this year and basically it’s a simple gsce essay tbh. Make sure you memorise quotes and use the PowerPoints provided by the exam board aswell. You should have an intro and at least 3 good points relating to the questions. Make sure u revise some Russian connectives because even as a native speaker it’s hard because personally I don’t use these words on day to day basis.

Hey, I just finished my year 13 and I would like to do russian A-level next year, but if its possible to do it this year, what days are you doing your exams?
Reply 16
Original post by Sifaa
Hey, I just finished my year 13 and I would like to do russian A-level next year, but if its possible to do it this year, what days are you doing your exams?

The day have already passed , the only way to take is to wait until the March next year . And you need to sign up for the exam with special exam centers
Reply 17

Hey, I did Russian A Level and got A*. I must say that they increased grade boundaries a lot this year, but if you're native speaker, getting A will be easy for you. As for Paper 2, I studied Pikovaya Dama and Revizor (imo writing about books is easier than about movies). The most important tip in writing is to read Examiner's reports as they have examplary answers and comments on how to improve. Also, focus on literary elements like metaphors, emotional vocabulary and main themes (e.g theme of madness in Pikovaya Dama). Also, try to score maximum in Paper 1 as it gives greatest boost in total score. Also look for ppts about some books and movies on official Pearson website because they contain brief ideas that you may use in your essays. Good luck:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest