The Student Room Group

Where to start!?

Hi I'm currently doing a social work degree but finding myself drawn to nursing. I originally was interested in nursing but had no experience and was unsure which branch so went for social work as it's more general and seemed more holistic.
I'm coming to the end of the degree now and fond I've got some frustrations in that it's not very factual and you don't really get work with people from start to finish till really feeling that I want to do nursing, it seems more hands on and you get to spend more time with the person you're working with.
Obviously I need to be sure before I so it so I'm wondering where the best place is to start trying to get some experience to see if it is for me and help me see which branch may suit?
I've done some care work in my summers off but not 6 months which NHS seems to ask for for healthcare jobs, so any types of job/volunteering agencies to look out to help me would be really helpful :smile:
Reply 1
Finish your social work degree then look into doing a masters or PgDip in nursing.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Thanks I am going to finish my degree, just looking at getting prepared and trying to work out which branch to apply for :smile:
Try and do done volunteering in after school clubs and schemes etc and then try to get a job or volunteer with adults in any adult setting etc and then look at learning disabilities and see which you feel.you ate drawn to more. If you want to do nursing, get experience and see which branch you feel positive about as it's that which you will be asked about in interview.
Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending