The Student Room Group

Were you formula fed?

As a baby? lol. There is all this research out about adults who were formula fed not being as healthy as they would have been if they had been breast fed, higher rates of heart disease etc. Also they say that people who were formula fed have abnormal development:confused: I was formula fed and don't have any illnesses whatsoever (apart from a few mental ones like ocd) so in what way would I have been healthier?? Obviously breast milk provides immunity but only temporary. Would you say all this research is true or going too far? Were you formula fed and are you bothered lol?

Scroll to see replies

I was breast fed for about a week....then started biting....so my mum switched to formula!lol, I don't think it's had any effect on me! How long are you meant to breast feed though? As I wasn't breast fed straight away, so it might count I suppose.
Reply 2
tinkerbellejess
I was breast fed for about a week....then started biting....so my mum switched to formula!lol, I don't think it's had any effect on me! How long are you meant to breast feed though? As I wasn't breast fed straight away, so it might count I suppose.

It is recommended 6 months but there is also research that people who were breast fed have stiffer arteries expecially past 4 months. I believe breast feeding is better though but im not sure about all the 'formula fed people would have been healthier' stuff.
A lot of this research turned out to be social - at the time the subjects were babies, the people aware of the benefits of breast screening tended to be the wealthier, more middle class mothers who had the time and education to investigate what was best...as class correlates to better health and lower risk of heart disease, and in those days to some extent to intelligence, a lot of the 'benefits' were just manifestations of the class differences.
Reply 4
I was breast fed and I intend to breast feed my children if possible. While some of the research has been disproved on the grounds of it the causation for better health being social class as opposed to breast feeding there is still some good research which shows benefits.
Ok, I thought I was one of a very few who was totally formula fed. In what way would I have been healthier though? I have no illnesses so perhaps I would have had lower bp or something?
Based on this website demographic you're still probably quite young?
Lots of people tend to become more ill as they age (combination of genetic/predisposition and triggers) rather than having congenital conditions... so worry not, there's still scope for you to be less healthy! :wink:

Or just try & lead a healthy lifestyle and don't worry about something you can't change, or whether or not as an individual you fit in with broad population level trends. :smile:
Anonymous
Based on this website demographic you're still probably quite young?
Lots of people tend to become more ill as they age (combination of genetic/predisposition and triggers) rather than having congenital conditions... so worry not, there's still scope for you to be less healthy! :wink:

Or just try & lead a healthy lifestyle and don't worry about something you can't change, or whether or not as an individual you fit in with broad population level trends. :smile:

Im not worried just curious lol (and a bit annoyed). Im just wondering how I would have been more healthy if I am healthy now:confused: I know I sound stupid but im tired:p:
Reply 8
Sorry about the anon lol no idea why I keep clicking it
Reply 9
I was breast fed. I always get ill though lol.
I was formula fed; i cant see how ive been any worse off than anyone else.
i think the benefits are probably more obvious when you are a baby...ie the breast fed baby has better immunity in its early months then a formula fed baby as immunity is passed through the breast milk

i intend to breast feed as i dont think there is anything better for the baby (evolution would have stropped the breast milk that didnt do anything to help survival), the milks designed for them...plus you dont have to carry around load of bottles and sterilising equipment..plus it must be an amazing feeling emotionally and i can imagien it does a lot to help you bond with your baby

my mum was a midwife and shes preached to me since i was 16 about how breast is best.
Reply 12
But there's still some taboos about just whipping your breast out in public to feed it. That would be problematic I imagine.

Also the sag factor isn't very appealing.
Reply 13
I was breast fed and am always ill. always.

i do think however that there is truth in the smoking whilst pregnant harms your baby. stunts growth etc.

I'm 18 and 5'2. my mum smoked all throughout her pregnancy with me. My sister is 14 and about 5'8 or 9. She didn't smoke whilst pregnant with her.
Azzle
I was breast fed and am always ill. always.

i do think however that there is truth in the smoking whilst pregnant harms your baby. stunts growth etc.

I'm 18 and 5'2. my mum smoked all throughout her pregnancy with me. My sister is 14 and about 5'8 or 9. She didn't smoke whilst pregnant with her.

Oh not this again, what were your birth weights as babies that might help, have you mentioned it to her? I also worry about this im 5ft 10 and questioned my mum about smoking, she said that it was better for her to continue throughout pregnancy because withdrawal symptoms could have done more harm to her and the baby..or something.
Reply 15
Yeah right! There are no physical withdrawal symptoms from smoking other than psychological cravings...

(oh, and the odd cold etc..but I'm sure it's better to have a cold while pregnant than carry on smoking?)
Reply 16
That would be rather like telling someone not to give up crack cos of the withdrawal symptoms. But not as drastic.

My sister was heavier at birth.

But hey, I make up for it in other ways, so I'm not that arsed. Just can't help thinkin there's a correlation there
Fleece
Yeah right! There are no physical withdrawal symptoms from smoking other than psychological cravings...

No way, its really hard if you suddenly stop you are put under a lot of stress, depends on the person I suppose though.
Reply 18
Azzle
That would be rather like telling someone not to give up crack cos of the withdrawal symptoms. But not as drastic.

My sister was heavier at birth.

But hey, I make up for it in other ways, so I'm not that arsed. Just can't help thinkin there's a correlation there

So what if there is? 5 ft 2 is a nice height for a girl.
Reply 19
Sunofnight
No way, its really hard if you suddenly stop you are put under a lot of stress, depends on the person I suppose though.

Yeah, but that's all psychological. It's not hard in terms of you'd go through anything bad physically that would harm a baby, unless your mum was smoking crack.

Latest

Trending

Trending