The Student Room Group

Picky eating

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheTechN1304
I'm quite picky when it comes to meat...I might as well be vegetarian, as I only eat chicken breast (completely avoid leg, thigh, wings), don't like bacon unless it has no fat, usually don't like pork (because of fat), only like beef prepared in certain ways, don't like lamb and every other type of meat is a no-go.

If you have never eaten it, how do you know that you won't like it?
I used to be very picky as a child (but then who wasn't :P ) but now I can eat pretty much anything. I still can't bring myself to eat aubergine or okra though; I also dislike green pepper but I can eat it if necessary.

Also I don't think picky eaters are a result of poor parenting. My mum tried everything from starvation to literally forcing food into my mouth but I didn't cave in. I think it's rather because some people have extra sensitive tastebuds which is aggravated by the fact that children naturally develop an aversion to bitter tasting food (e.g. most vegetables).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mommie Dearest
Anybody who hasn't surmounted their picky eating habits by adulthood is someone I'd rather avoid. Its rather philistine and unsophisticated too. I usually write it off as the direct result of poor parenting.

It's not always poor parenting. Some of us do have sensory issues.

I wet through a phase where I wouldn't eat chips. There's a lot of things I won't eat. My dad thinks I'm weird because when I was in Bournemouth, I ate eel. Which I should add, is blooming tasty.

There are a lot of things I won't eat because the texture is just horrible. I will try most new things though.
I've never been picky. I believe it's very much down to my parents getting me to try new things from a very young age. I'd sit in a highchair as a baby and eat smoked salmon, olives, anchovies, tuna pâté and bread sticks. Can't be dealing with "cheap and nasty" food though, I've definitely been taught to have expensive tastes.
Reply 24
I used to be a picky eater which I guess most children are tbh, but I grew out of it and now I'll try pretty much anything.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by OU Student
It's not always poor parenting. Some of us do have sensory issues.

I wet through a phase where I wouldn't eat chips. There's a lot of things I won't eat. My dad thinks I'm weird because when I was in Bournemouth, I ate eel. Which I should add, is blooming tasty.

There are a lot of things I won't eat because the texture is just horrible. I will try most new things though.

"Sensory issues", that's a rather vague reason. Care to elaborate? Don't like it's taste is not a valid answer.
"Sensory issues", that's a rather vague reason. Care to elaborate? Don't like it's taste is not a valid answer.

http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/picky-eaters.html
Reply 27
I'm a picky eater, it is quite horrendous, I hate it, and I am 18! I - I just can't bring myself to eat things!
Reply 28
I used to only eat glacier mints for a long while. I note recently, a child who has only ever ate glacier mints. That's hardcore... or.. 'mint'

GET IT!! I MADE A FUNNY!

That's hogwash tbh and everything on that page confirms what my previous post said that parents need to be more stern with their kids and instilling a stronger sense of discipline so that they don't become weird people when they finally grow up, if they grow up.
Reply 30
I hate cheese. I hate tomatoes. But I like pizza. Go figure.
That's hogwash tbh and everything on that page confirms what my previous post said that parents need to be more stern with their kids and instilling a stronger sense of discipline so that they don't become weird people when they finally grow up, if they grow up.

It is a genuine medical problem. Can I please suggest you educate yourself. Do you seriously think I actually enjoy having to say "sorry, can't eat that" all the time? No, of course I don't. Add to that I'm wheat intolerant too. A lot of textures (and not just foods) do make me want to throw up.

And if it's a parenting issue, why am I the only one out of three children with it?

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/sensory-processing-disorder

Have to ask - why is being a vegetarian / vegan more acceptable than being a picky eater?
(edited 9 years ago)

How about this then?

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/aurt/2011/541926/abs/

http://www.andjrnl.org/article/S0002-8223(09)01808-2/abstract?cc=y
It is a genuine medical problem. Can I please suggest you educate yourself. Do you seriously think I actually enjoy having to say "sorry, can't eat that" all the time? No, of course I don't. Add to that I'm wheat intolerant too. A lot of textures (and not just foods) do make me want to throw up.

And if it's a parenting issue, why am I the only one out of three children with it?

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/sensory-processing-disorder

Have to ask - why is being a vegetarian / vegan more acceptable than being a picky eater?

From your own link "That's because sensory processing disorder isn't a recognized medical diagnosis"

debunked
From your own link "That's because sensory processing disorder isn't a recognized medical diagnosis"

debunked

It's usually part of a diagnosis, such as Autism.

It's usually part of a diagnosis, such as Autism.

DFTT :biggrin:
I had a short phase of being picky when I was about 8 or 9, but my mum soon got me out of that phase. She wouldn't allow me to waste food or be a little brat about stuff. I thank her for it.
Original post by b0undb0nes
I went through a phase of only eating plain pasta for tea from the ages of 7 to 10 whilst watching Tracy Beaker episodes..

That actually sounds like my idea of a dream, haha.

--

I wasn't picky in the slightest as a child. As I've got older and I have learned more about where food comes from I have become a little more picky, but not to the extent where it's ever a problem. I can always find something on a menu, for example.
There are some foods I'm not fond of but I don't really make a fuss about it or outright refuse to eat it if someone cooks it for me or whatever I suppose. That's probably true of most people.
Original post by DiddyDec
If you have never eaten it, how do you know that you won't like it?

I have eaten it before. That's how I came to the conclusion that I only like certain meats...

Quick Reply

Latest