The Student Room Group

Does anyone else feel that porridge makes them hungrier sooner?

I know it's a thick, stodgy, comfort food type healthy fibresome thing... And it does fill me up...
But I notice that after an hour of eating it, unlike with other foods, I feel reallllly hungry, like, famished.

I immediately needs something solid like a banana, bread, cake, cereal?

Anyone else get this?
why is this??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The only reason it makes me feel hungrier sooner is because I cant hold it down...
I have no idea what it is (Guessing the texture) But I just cant stomach it..
Reply 2
Try topping it with some nuts or stirring in some plain yoghurt just before it's finished cooking (on the stove, not microwave) - the extra protein will keep you fuller.
Reply 3
Yes! Same goes with cereal...I'm full for about an hour then I feel hungry again!
Reply 4
Porridge is brilliant for filling you up.

That "famished" feeling later? Drink water! Truly!!

It's not the porridge making you feel famished - have you seen how much fluid the oats absorb? - its the need for fluid to break down that stodgy mass and flush it through your system that needs the "feeding" :wink: :smile:
lizfairy
I know it's a thick, stodgy, comfort food type healthy fibresome thing... And it does fill me up...
But I notice that after an hour of eating it, unlike with other foods, I feel reallllly hungry, like, famished.

I immediately needs something solid like a banana, bread, cake, cereal?

Anyone else get this?
why is this??

I can only imagine what you'd be like eating rice!! :biggrin:
Reply 6
No :biggrin:
Reply 7
No, the opposite.
Reply 8
It's low to med gi, it shouldn't do, however I just eat oats uncooked with milk and protein. I woulda thought cooking it into porridge would "make you even more full"
Reply 9
It's supposed to do the opposite because of it's low GI score... I have porriage often but I can't say because I haven't really taken notice whether I feel hungrier on those days or not, sorry.
Yes, the same goes for cereal though. Which is unusual for me in itself because it doesn't take a lot to fill me up for several hours.
Cloven Angel
I can only imagine what you'd be like eating rice!! :biggrin:

rice fills me up quickly, as do vegetables :s-smilie:
Reply 12
lizfairy

Anyone else get this?
why is this??

Oats are high in complex carbohydrates which are broken down more slowly than simple carbohydrates, so they provide a gradual and steady source of energy through the day as opposed to simple carbs where they are broken down quickly and their energy is released and available much quicker.
Reply 13
No, but I do have quite a lot of it (just over 100g).
Cortez
No, but I do have quite a lot of it (just over 100g).

over 100g of porridge or oats that make up the porridge?

I usually have 20-25 g oats, made with water and soya milk and a bit of sugar or honey or syrup or fruit.
It's really cute actually, thinking of porridge, my boyfriend who lives in Italy loves porridge ever since he last visited in July. Everyday in August I was eating italian soya yogurt or biscuits with an espresso (more typically Italian) whilst he was asking me to make him porridge.

His parents and sister thought it looked really funny.
this makes me want really sugary ready brek............. yummy!

op just eat lots of it :biggrin:
Daniella1990
this makes me want really sugary ready brek............. yummy!

op just eat lots of it :biggrin:

what's the difference between porridge and ready brek?
lizfairy
what's the difference between porridge and ready brek?

i think its just more processed and has more sugar in it, and then if you put in even more sugar and it goes all warm and gooey :biggrin::yep:
Do you eat instant porridge by any chance?

If what you're eating is a fine powder it honestly doesn't surprise me.

Buy the whole grain, mix it with some MILK and cook it in a pot. It will take 3-4 minutes and will fill you up. Have a cup of coffee with it as well for extra filling.

I eat like a pig but I never feel hungry after eating real porridge. I've always felt hungry after eating processed instant oat crap. It just doesn't feel you up and has all the texture of water.

Whole grains! I never ate porridge before because dad would always buy ready brek which quite frankly is disgusting but I eat it every morning now I've tried unprocessed oats.

Instant oats is the biggest advertising coup in history. Food that takes, 3-4 minutes a WHOLE MINUTE FASTER OMG!!! please, boycott this nasty, cheap and unsatisfying crap. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest