The Student Room Group

Politics Unit 3c and 4c paper June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saint123456789
What are you aiming for out of interest?

Sounds good. I'm aiming for an A (I think my A2 papers have a good chance of being A*s by themselves but my AS UMS works out to a low A so overall an A* is almost impossible). Yourself?
Original post by Lost_hope
what did people write for the cabinet and Senate 15 mark ones?

For cabinet I did the EGG principle, representing the political spectrum eg Ashton Carter and Eric Holder, replaced by Loretta Lynch, then for my third point I mentioned healing the wounds of the campaign season and Hilary Clinton. I would've done expertise too, but I ran out of time :/

For the Senate one, I did: appointments- Loretta Lynch, life tenure of SC justices, polarisation; foreign policy- treaties, etc. To evaluate I said that this had been circumvented by the President's extra constitutional actions. Lastly, I used the filibuster, mentioned PG focus, the Manchin- Toomey bill, etc.
Hi guys, I know everyone's said that the grade boundaries were 69/90 for an A* last year but given the paper this year, what would everyone predict them to move to?
Original post by James4049
Hi guys, I know everyone's said that the grade boundaries were 69/90 for an A* last year but given the paper this year, what would everyone predict them to move to?

They were exceptionally high last year so my guesstimate would be:
3C - 63
4C - 66
Original post by Piledriver
They were exceptionally high last year so my guesstimate would be:
3C - 63
4C - 66

I hope so, did everyone really find 4c easier? - I didn't to be fair, personally I think that it was a moderately hard paper
Original post by battyboy
Sounds good. I'm aiming for an A (I think my A2 papers have a good chance of being A*s by themselves but my AS UMS works out to a low A so overall an A* is almost impossible). Yourself?

If you got a low A last year and A*'s at A2 then you will get an A*. You only need 320 UMS(same as an A), but you need a 90+ UMS average at A2. And I am aiming for an A*, but think my first paper night let me down so an A might be more realistic.
I hope so, did everyone really find 4c easier? - I didn't to be fair, personally I think that it was a moderately hard paper

Well, at college my class found it hard but on here everyone said it was okay! But then again this is TSR..
My teacher said he thinks the 15 mark questions will have thrown a lot of people off in 4C because of their wording, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was lower than what I've predicted - it definately won't be any higher :smile:
Original post by Piledriver
Well, at college my class found it hard but on here everyone said it was okay! But then again this is TSR..
My teacher said he thinks the 15 mark questions will have thrown a lot of people off in 4C because of their wording, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was lower than what I've predicted - it definately won't be any higher :smile:

So what constitutes and A* because some say you need 90% in both papers or 90% overall in both A2 paper (obviously you need an A at As)
So what constitutes and A* because some say you need 90% in both papers or 90% overall in both A2 paper (obviously you need an A at As)

90% in both :smile:

for an A* in ANY a-level, you need 90% across both A2 units. AS is cancelled out by 90% in the A2 modules - so effectively, you could get a C in AS Politics but if you cab get 90% and 90% in Units 3 and 4 then you get an A*.

With getting A-E grades, thats where your AS comes in. For people who got A's last year, they won't need much to get an A overall in Politics A-Level as thats based on UMS marks rather than percentage. I need something like 67/100 UMS in each of the papers to get an A so thats a C grade each in Unit 4C and Unit 3C - but if was aiming for the A* (which i should be) I'd need to get 90% across both to get it. Hope that helps :smile:

I thought neither of them were 'easy' papers- the wording of some questions was quite difficult especially for the 15s. I personally found the 15s in 3c easier than 4c, but the 45 markers better in 4c. Everyone I know found it difficult though, so fingers crossed for low grade boundaries.
Did anyone answer the 45 marker on foreign policy? I realised half way through I was basically focusing on Congress Vs President for foreign policy and I mentioned a bit about public support, what do you think of my approach to the question? I completely left out gridlock and partisanship :/
Original post by baffledchick
Did anyone answer the 45 marker on foreign policy? I realised half way through I was basically focusing on Congress Vs President for foreign policy and I mentioned a bit about public support, what do you think of my approach to the question? I completely left out gridlock and partisanship :/

It's fine honestly it wouldn't mind either way, as long as you refered to the question which essential ways congress v president you're fine
It's fine honestly it wouldn't mind either way, as long as you refered to the question which essential ways congress v president you're fine

Ahh thank you, puts my mind at ease cos I thought it went really well but then I was panicking that I only focused on Congress Vs President
does anyone have notes or anything related on unit 3C and 4C which is the american option? thanks.
What is the exam structure for the 15 markers?
Original post by romaiseb
What is the exam structure for the 15 markers?

yeah its kinda hazy isn't it? different people are saying different things. what did your teacher say? did you find out the answer? are you doing AS or A2?
Original post by Audrey18
yeah its kinda hazy isn't it? different people are saying different things. what did your teacher say? did you find out the answer? are you doing AS or A2?

I'm in A2! Yep, I ended up asking my teacher and he said the general structure for a 15 marker is to to do a brief introduction, 4 paragraphs, and a concluding sentence. If your question involves arguing (for v against), then you should do 2 paragraphs on one side, and 2 on the other - some students might do 3 paragraphs on one side and 1 on the other but it's best to split them equally in half.
Hope this helped!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending