The Student Room Group

What should I aim for?

In my final year of studying Accounting and Finance at a 2nd tier university (think Bristol/Nottingham etc) and planning on doing a master's in Finance or something similar for the year 2015-16.

I feel the thing that really lets me down are my grades. Got a 2.2 in years 1 and 2, just got my results from first semester this year and got a 2.1. Still need a mid-2.1 next (this) semester to get a 2.1 overall but I can definitely do it and am predicted a 2.1 by my tutor. Also might be worth mentioning that I had extenuating circumstances in my first two years of university which are signed and vetted by my tutor and counsellors, however I don't really want to blame this on my failure to do well enough.

However, I feel my strong point is my extra-curricular’s. I have been heavily involved with a few societies on campus, a couple with committee positions. Have done a few internships/work experiences in consulting/banking in the past with a couple of decent names with one of them leading to a job offer. And doing an investment banking internship in London this summer with a boutique (but still well known) bank. I’m also in the process of starting my own business.

Also would probably prefer not to do the GRE/GMAT if possible. I'm an international student, if that makes any difference.

Firstly is it too late to apply to top unis? Secondly what unis should I am for given my profile? Thirdly are there any courses in particular that would like my profile?
Reply 1
Anyone please?
No harm trying for the best, right? If you get a 2:1, then you can try for LSE and Warwick - MSc A&F. Go check online for their deadlines. In this day and age, it is not that difficult to get those info.
Damn unlucky bro
Reply 4
I know you said that you would like to avoid taking the GMAT or GRE, but it might be a good way to demonstrate your abilities, especially considering that there were extenuating circumstances for your grades. It might be beneficial to take practice tests in each and see how well you do. You can get free ones from the test makers. You might do better than you think, especially since you are still in school. If you score well, then you can just do that extra bit of studying and it would be a big plus on your app.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending