The Student Room Group

languages workload... worried

just wondering if anyone doing one or two languages at uni could tell me how much work there really is... i have heard that languages have an heavier workload than some other subjects. my friend doing first honours joint honours german and history says most of the work she has been given is from german and there is almost nothing from history in comparison... just panicking a bit about how people cope with doing 2 languages at degree level and if there is anytime for a life... i have also heard that doing joint honours is more like doing 75:75 amount of the work, not 50:50. :confused:
I'm in my first year doing joint honours French and Spanish (at Exeter, if it makes any difference) and it is a fair amount of work, but you still take 120 credits, 60 for each language, so it's technically equivalent to any other degree. I think the reason it feels like more is because languages students have more contact time than other arts/humanities/social sciences students, but we still have a lot of work to do outside of lessons. Also, most of the work comes from the core language module, which all students have to do; the only difference is that combined honours students take fewer optional modules. As I said, the workload is fairly intense, but it's certainly manageable. I still find time to go out with the debating society twice a week, go to a pre-teacher training lecture/seminar once a week, see my boyfriend at least once a week and go to quite a few other events as they come up. I'd have even more time if I didn't procrastinate so much on TSR, Facebook, MySpace and watching the OC! :redface:
Reply 2
I did French and German post A-Level and Spanish from beginner level in my first year... now in my second and I've picked up Dutch as well. It's perfectly do-able (although I'm finding there's *a lot* of work this year, but again nothing which can't be handled). The main thing to consider is whether you'll be doing the languages from A Level of as a beginner. Any beginner language will automatically mean a greatly increased workload. Most people on my course are doing at least 2 languages, and it's nothing at all to be worried about.
Reply 3
Eep. Sounds scary, even with one language after A Level.
Reply 4
Yeah, what Kelly said. Langauges students at Durham will have around 12-14 contact hours a week, but a lot more homework than other arts students. Scientists have about 20 hours a week but no homework, so it balances, and with Langauges you'll have fewer essays to do and more small things like worksheets and translations.

I did 3 languages last year and it's not too bad. Got a high 2:1 overall. If I can cope and still have loads of extracurricular activities, anyone can!! :biggrin:
thanks that's reassuring! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending