The Student Room Group

A-level choices

I chose
Maths
Further Maths
Chemistry
Biology
Many people say that is too much and I feel doubtful of myself cuz I don't really know what career I want to do
Especially Further Maths and Maths... Should I just change FM and replace it with Spanish? The thing is that I like FM more then Maths but Maths is needed for Further Maths
Reply 1
Maths and FM taken together alongside two science subjects is very common, and is a good combination of subjects that could lead to a hundred different degree subjects. And its much more manageable than taking a totally different 4th subject like a language.
Original post by koolkhad
I chose
Maths
Further Maths
Chemistry
Biology
Many people say that is too much and I feel doubtful of myself cuz I don't really know what career I want to do
Especially Further Maths and Maths... Should I just change FM and replace it with Spanish? The thing is that I like FM more then Maths but Maths is needed for Further Maths

I fully agree with the post by McGinger.

I’d say your selection of A levels gives you a lot of options for uni/equivalent in terms of the courses you can access. I’d recommend sticking with the A level combination you have initially picked and avoid swapping FM out for Spanish.

This is largely due to the fact that the workload should be more manageable, but also you have stated you have an interest in the content covered in FM, which is generally a sign you’ll find the motivation to work for the higher grades.

When you get to sixth form/college, if the workload does turn out to be too great, you can always ask if it is possible to drop one of your subjects (which I would recommend doing at least before you start to make your application on UCAS - applying with four or more subjects listed on your submitted application and then dropping down to three can cause issues in some instances, but afaik these generally are only really when the applicant has received an offer from Cambridge).
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 3
The only thing I'm worried about is that everyone says apparently Language is a good thing to have in applications and all sorts.
Is there any way to continue a language outside of school?
When applying for a job would they still look at GCSE results?
Reply 4
Original post by koolkhad
The only thing I'm worried about is that everyone says apparently Language is a good thing to have in applications and all sorts.
Is there any way to continue a language outside of school?
When applying for a job would they still look at GCSE results?

Its only 'a good thing to have' if you plan to do a degree course or a job where you need a language A level.
Unis state clearly what A level etc subjects they want, and nebulous 'that might impress them' extras are actually fairly pointless, especially if it waste time that you should be spending on your main A levels.

At most Unis you can do extra language classes outside of your degree - or there are online facilities like Duolingo

For job applications straight from school they will look at your GCSEs, after a Uni degree your GCSEs become irrelevant.

Quick Reply

Latest