The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Part time intensive language MA at SOAS-Advice

Hey! I have an offer for the intensive language MA at SOAS, for arabic. I work 4 days a week and I am worries about managing the MA while I work. Has anyone else attended this course? How intense is it?

Thank you!
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey! I have an offer for the intensive language MA at SOAS, for arabic. I work 4 days a week and I am worries about managing the MA while I work. Has anyone else attended this course? How intense is it?

Thank you!

Hi, congratulations on your offer!
I am doing my MA in Iranian Studies and Intensive Persian, though full-time, and I am also working four days a week, so, I completely understood the worry about it.
For part-time course, I believe in the first year, it will be just the 60 credits Arabic 1 and 2 modules. This will have you doing Arabic about 10 hours a week, divided between lectures and smaller group seminars led by a tutor. This is quite an intensive course but very rewarding, as by the time you start your second year you will be able to tackle original texts in your target language.
Doing part-time work on the side is manageable and I know several people who do this, including myself. I'd suggest building your work schedule around your classes, instead of the other way round, to the extent it is possible. And it will be quite demanding during the term time to tackle both work and study, but the term is just ten weeks, with the reading week as a breather in between. I am certain it is doable, many do it, including myself but it can be quite demanding and I shall not sugarcoat it.
However, don't let your busy schedule during the term time compromise your health, diet and sleep. Only, the first year is this demanding and once through it, from the second year onwards, your workload will decrease as you will be in a much more comfortable zone with your target language by then.

With best wishes!
Do let me know if you need to know anything else.

-A
MA Iranian Studies and Intensive Persian
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Original post by SOAS Student Rep
Hi, congratulations on your offer!
I am doing my MA in Iranian Studies and Intensive Persian, though full-time, and I am also working four days a week, so, I completely understood the worry about it.
For part-time course, I believe in the first year, it will be just the 60 credits Arabic 1 and 2 modules. This will have you doing Arabic about 10 hours a week, divided between lectures and smaller group seminars led by a tutor. This is quite an intensive course but very rewarding, as by the time you start your second year you will be able to tackle original texts in your target language.
Doing part-time work on the side is manageable and I know several people who do this, including myself. I'd suggest building your work schedule around your classes, instead of the other way round, to the extent it is possible. And it will be quite demanding during the term time to tackle both work and study, but the term is just ten weeks, with the reading week as a breather in between. I am certain it is doable, many do it, including myself but it can be quite demanding and I shall not sugarcoat it.
However, don't let your busy schedule during the term time compromise your health, diet and sleep. Only, the first year is this demanding and once through it, from the second year onwards, your workload will decrease as you will be in a much more comfortable zone with your target language by then.

With best wishes!
Do let me know if you need to know anything else.

-A
MA Iranian Studies and Intensive Persian

Thanks A! Do you know how many days a week on average would a part time student have to go to campus? I understand that would change from course to course but generally speaking
Original post by Idontknowi
Thanks A! Do you know how many days a week on average would a part time student have to go to campus? I understand that would change from course to course but generally speaking

Hi,

As you say yourself, that will depend on the course and the modules you are taking.

In first year of your intensive arabic, you'd have 10 hrs of language instruction and it can spread over 3-5 days. But from the second year onwards you'd have four hours of language and one more module, which will have you likely 2-3 days a week.

Hope this helps! But it will vary largely depending on the course you are taking.

Best,
A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending