The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Introduction - Argument!
Including other factors for example how did Stalin rise to power?
1) His position of General Secretary
2)Personality
3) Weakness of other oppnents.

Then talk about each of the factors if needed them support each factor with an view of historians and then maybe another view that doesnt support it.

Conclusion - Sum up of introduction
MAKE SURE YOU KEEP YOUR ARGUMENT THE SAME!

Also make sure you plan it well that can really help with the structure of your essays.

Try to link it all together dont just jump from one point to the next.

I hope this helps. I found that once i had had quite a bit of practise i just got better at writing them :biggrin: So just practise. You could also try and get other people to read your essay... parents, brother or sister to give you some suggestions. :smile:

Hope this helps.. dont really know if it will but hopefully it does :biggrin:
Reply 2
You can do them by themes, e.g. if its over a long period of time it may make more sense to use that. Or you could have the standard yes but and conclusion. But if its a-level kind of history you should also include historiography in your points.
Reply 3
I would also strongly advise you not to make an essay based upon the lines of arguments for and against (i.e. the old fashioned GCSE, everyone's view must be considered pap).

After having looked at the historical question in general, both at previous historian's opinions and also the recognised facts, I come up with a general answer that I personally believe in. Sometimes it is unique, sometimes it is simply to agree with a previous historian.

Then based upon that I start to structure different answers about the same topic. Sometimes its nice and essay, for instance on the role of the individual in an event. Individual's influence vs. circumstance. Or sometimes it can be more complex, so for instance 'Assess Bismarck's role in the unification of Germany' (Oxford submitted work, and thereby the one in which I've found the most ways of perfecting, all in the one week post submittion itself).
I argued that for every circumstance that was critical to German unifcation, Bismarck made use of the relevant circumstance, and that resulted in the actual event itself.

So essentially, summarise your argument in the introduction and declare what it is that you intend to prove. Then in each paragraph cover a different factor, and at the end of each paragraph conclude on how it helps to answer your question. In the conclusion you should be able to draw upon each mini-conclusion made at the end of each paragraph to make your overall answer to the question.

At least, thats how I do it. Or, at least, thats my general aim of how to do it. It rarely actually happens, but hey.
Reply 4
Thanks to triplet1 benighted88 & darkowl really helped me alot.

I am doing a-level history, atm the revolt in the Netherlands.
Reply 5
In the introduction I just set the scene, and describe the current circumstances, with the last sentence subtlely expressing what i will be arguing.

I always argue against what i believe first, so say the title was " How far was Bismarck respinsible for the unification of Germany", i would start by arguing why Bismarck was responsible (I personall believe this untrue), so economic factors etc but after each factor "knock it down", by counter arguing it. Then the second part of the essay argue what you believe. By knocking the arguments against your opinion the examiner will see a clearly formed argument and will be fully able to analyse what you interpretation of the situation is.

BTW Darkowl I did the same Oxford essay as you. Which college have you applied to?

Latest

Trending

Trending