The Student Room Group

How do I actually study (help please)

Hi I'm doing nat 5 dance,history,re,business and English. I was just told today is the last day in which we should have completed our study planers (I have no idea how to efficiently do this)
How do I actually study like what methods do I use apart from just writing my notes out again because that's what I did for my prelims and some of them didn't go so well.
Also how do I set up the study planners in regards to topics like how many topics do I cover in one sitting and should I do multiple subjects a day or just one.
Sorry if that's just a ramble and thanks to anyone who took the time to read and respond to this.
Reply 1
Heyy,
It all really depends on how you learn whether that’s by listening, writing, flashcards, textbooks. What i do and recommend is set yourself a goal each day of breaking courses into units and then topics for a topic each day of one of two subjects. For example, on monday one business topic and one history topic, i like to re write my notes and then watch a video explaining the context and then doing some past papers that i time myself on. It is all up to you to use your time efficiently and how it works for you. But, definitely start with topics you least understand and leave the easy ones till last so you get a understanding of the whole course. Good luck and don’t overthink or overwork yourself either stressing too much about it! Find what works best for yourself
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous 543
Hi I'm doing nat 5 dance,history,re,business and English. I was just told today is the last day in which we should have completed our study planers (I have no idea how to efficiently do this)
How do I actually study like what methods do I use apart from just writing my notes out again because that's what I did for my prelims and some of them didn't go so well.
Also how do I set up the study planners in regards to topics like how many topics do I cover in one sitting and should I do multiple subjects a day or just one.
Sorry if that's just a ramble and thanks to anyone who took the time to read and respond to this.

What I would recommend is doing some active recall. This will look different for each subject but for example if you’re trying to learn an English essay, I would

Either write a model essay using your notes, or take one you’ve already written in class.

Read one paragraph aloud. Read it in your head, reread parts you’re more likely to forget, and then put the essay away.

Take a clean page and write as much as you can remember from memory.

Take your model essay back out and check it against what you’ve just written. Write anything you forgot/structure corrections in a different colour (I usually use red)

Repeat for each paragraph (and intro and conclusion if you want)

Once yoube done that process for each paragraph, look over your notes, where the things you’ve previously forgotten are in bright red and very obvious - read it aloud read it in your head etc.

write out the entire essay. Write anything you’ve forgotten in red again.

Repeat until you are confident in the essay!

This works for lots of your subjects - for non essay subjects just do it answer by answer and that should help!

Try timed past papers with a similar approach - write corrections and answers in a different colour to make it clear what you know and what you still need to look over!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending