The Student Room Group

AQA A-level History USA: Making of a Superpower (7042/1K) - 24 May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your AQA A-level History Paper 1 exam go today?

AQA A-level History Paper 1
The Making of a Superpower: USA, 1865-1975 (7042/1K)
Wednesday 24th May 2023
[Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck. :yy:

General Information
Date/Time: Wednesday 24th May 2023/ AM
Length: 2h 30m
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone doing this topic for A Level history, this can be the exam chat and thread if there is enough people :smile:
Now its only 2 weeks until the exam how's the revision going for everyone, and does anyone have any predictions for what could come up?
Reply 2
id say, maybe 1890-1920 question on society? what about you?
Reply 3
Hi,

Maybe foreign policy like Vietnam war
Original post by ifif4
Hi,

Maybe foreign policy like Vietnam war

I'm not sure - there has been quite a few post WW2 foreign policy questions
Original post by abigyal
id say, maybe 1890-1920 question on society? what about you?

looking at past questions - that could be a possibility
I was thinking maybe the extract being on foreign policy- not sure though
Reply 7
Original post by c8ssid7mull8n
I was thinking maybe the extract being on foreign policy- not sure though

Yes maybe
Reply 8
What are people revising mostly
Original post by ifif4
What are people revising mostly

I think you just have to try and cover everything because they could throw any question in there to be honest
Does anyone know what was on the AS paper for this option?
Maybe what came up in the AS paper won't come up in ours... but idk, better to revise everything ig
Reply 11
Original post by salihahzaman
Does anyone know what was on the AS paper for this option?
Maybe what came up in the AS paper won't come up in ours... but idk, better to revise everything ig

I think one of the question was on women
Reply 12
cold war may be likely to come up. at this point we should be ready for worst case scenario lmao
Reply 13
Manifest Destiny was the main reason for Westward Expansion
Does anyone have a plan for this question or an exemplar
I know railroads, homestead act and second gold rush were other reasons but i dont know how i would address the manifest destiny bit of the question
Original post by ifif4
Manifest Destiny was the main reason for Westward Expansion
Does anyone have a plan for this question or an exemplar
I know railroads, homestead act and second gold rush were other reasons but i dont know how i would address the manifest destiny bit of the question

From the top of my head i'd separate it into 3 paragraphs:
One on factor in question - manifest destiny - god given right to expand west - then link this to westward expansion and the homestead act - add in how mass immigration helped America expand west, include reasons why people wanted to move west and what it caused such as agricultural boom which helped economy grow etc.
Second para would be on robber barons and resources - Rockefeller - Standard oil created in 1870 - monopolise market - controlled 85% oil in world in 1880s, oil was essential for growth of other industries like railways. Carnegie steel company - production went from 360,000 tones in 1875 to 60 million by 1900 - new Bessemer process - steel helped other industries grow too like manufacturing and railroads. Govt lassiz faire policies also helped economy grow etc. Could also include gold rushes here too.
Third para would be on railroads - railroad massive expansion - out west - union pacific 1867 - helped connect states - grew other industries - helped people migrate for business opportunities - trips were shorter - Vanderbuilt

Overall conclude railways were main reason

Hope this helps
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 15
Original post by nj_anonymous
From the top of my head i'd separate it into 3 paragraphs:
One on factor in question - manifest destiny - god given right to expand west - then link this to westward expansion and the homestead act - add in how mass immigration helped America expand west, include reasons why people wanted to move west and what it caused such as agricultural boom which helped economy grow etc.
Second para would be on robber barons and resources - Rockefeller - Standard oil created in 1870 - monopolise market - controlled 85% oil in world in 1880s, oil was essential for growth of other industries like railways. Carnegie steel company - production went from 360,000 tones in 1875 to 60 million by 1900 - new Bessemer process - steel helped other industries grow too like manufacturing and railroads. Govt lassiz faire policies also helped economy grow etc. Could also include gold rushes here too.
Third para would be on railroads - railroad massive expansion - out west - union pacific 1867 - helped connect states - grew other industries - helped people migrate for business opportunities - trips were shorter - Vanderbuilt

Overall include railways were main reason

Hope this helps

Thank you so much. This is very helpful
What is everyone focusing on for revision at the moment?
Reply 17

FDR and new deals
Society
Cold war
Reply 18

What about u
Original post by ifif4
FDR and new deals
Society
Cold war

I am actually doing quite similar stuff to this, some economy stuff in the early years too and all foreign policy really

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending