The Student Room Group

Best way to cook bacon?

Recently got into a debate with my dad over how bacon is best cooked. I LOVE it to be really pale and soft, like JUST about cooked. But he likes it really crispy and dark. Also do you like to make it in the grill, on a frying pan, with lard, oil? I usually do it in the grill or on the pan with some oil but my dad does everything on the pan with lard :indiff:

What's your preferences peeps?

Scroll to see replies

Probably like this :tongue:

bacononaplate.jpg
Reply 2
Original post by Changing Skies
Probably like this :tongue:

Everyone seems to like it like that :nooo: I like it like this:

I like mine soft, too.

Crispy bacon looks like Gollum's toes.
I too am a fan of the softer bacon.
I cook it in the oven on a metal thing with holes in so the fat drains off a bit. I highly recommend it, sure it takes longer than the grill or frying but it's harder to burn/less effort as you just put it in and leave it. I can also recommend beef bacon, fewer calories but still delicious. :smile:

I like to eat it when it's just going crispy but bacon here has quite a lot of fat compared to British bacon so if it's still limp the fat is all gross.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Precious Illusions
Everyone seems to like it like that :nooo: I like it like this:

I don't mind it like that, it still tastes nice, but I just prefer a bit of crisp! :biggrin:
I prefer it somewhere inbetween, grilled with no additives. But then again, I do not particularly like it.
Reply 8
Softer although I have got time for crispy bacon. Make no mistake-n
Reply 9
Original post by Expired Potato
I like mine soft, too.

Crispy bacon looks like Gollum's toes.

Well, safe to say I dislike crispy bacon even more now.
Well, safe to say I dislike crispy bacon even more now.

Yeah, I mean I'm pretty sure the only people who would be remotely fascinated in Gollum's feet would be Tarantino and Dostoevsky.

Crispy bacon also reminds me of a bit of flash fiction I read on feet binding in China, because of how it goes up and down and contorts.
I eat a sausage instead.

sausage > bacon
I was brought up to believe that you microwaved bacon.

When I moved out I learnt two things: 1. My parents were crap in the kitchen; 2. Bacon is not meant to have the texture of an old leather boot.

Fried in a little bit of oil. The bacon fat can then be used to fry eggs.
Throw it in the sky and say "god gimmi some cooked bacon pls."
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I eat a sausage instead.

sausage > bacon

Cheap sausages are horrible. For good quality sausages, I agree with you.
Non-crispy bacon IS and will always be an abomination! Now in all seriousness, I prefer crispy, but I can eat soft bacon; it's just not as good.
In the oven cooked slowly on a baking try. I like it kind of in the middle of what you and your dad like. I would eat soft bacon but the problem is if there's much fat on it, it's gristly when you eat it which is ****.

Frying bacon seems unnecessary to me tbh.
I think the question should be crispy or soft?

And on that note I am heading to the Wawa for a bacon sandwich.
Reply 18
Crispy, sometimes I don't mind it softer but it has to be Danpak otherwise it has a nasty make me wanna puke raw smell. I dont mind in between actually, I cook in a frying pan with no oil usually.
(edited 9 years ago)
Recently got into a debate with my dad over how bacon is best cooked. I LOVE it to be really pale and soft, like JUST about cooked. But he likes it really crispy and dark. Also do you like to make it in the grill, on a frying pan, with lard, oil? I usually do it in the grill or on the pan with some oil but my dad does everything on the pan with lard :indiff:

What's your preferences peeps?

lmao lard, what? I do it under the grill because I don't want heart disease.

I like it cooked but still soft, personally.

Quick Reply

Latest