The Student Room Group

Is my my mum being fair?

I am 14 now and my mum is making me start cooking dinner for the family twice a week to improve my cooking skills. None of my friends have to do it so why should I. How can I tell her she is being unfair?
Original post by Anonymous
I am 14 now and my mum is making me start cooking dinner for the family twice a week to improve my cooking skills. None of my friends have to do it so why should I. How can I tell her she is being unfair?

Funny how the title of your thread and the last sentence of your post contradict one another.

It’s good to have some basic cooking skills. At the very least you can try. You might find that you enjoy cooking.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
You should be able to cook at 14. And do the washing-up afterwards!

Seriously, it's your friends who are missing out by not learning a basic life skill. If you haven't already, also get laundry, ironing, sewing and the basics of finances under your belt, too.

Maybe invite your friends round and impress them with a home-cooked meal. But they wash the pots afterwards.
If you're in a family of three (or more if you're the oldest sibling) that's fair because one person can do 2/3 days, another person can do 2/3 days and you can do 2/3 days. If you're in a family of more than three and you're not the oldest sibling, then try compromise and say everyone should do the same amount of cooking.
Reply 4
Your mum is being a good mum by teaching basic life skills.
Your definitely at an age to be expected to to take on some household tasks and learn to cook.
Reply 6

I don't even think this is a bad thing. And your friends not doing it not a issue. I used to bang on how my parents didn't let me play on the PlayStation for more than 2 hours and stay up during night playing games whilst my friends did. When your older you will realise this was the correct decision. Respect your mum, she is the best.

If you cannot do the cooking maybe because of work or upcoming exams, then let your parents know in advance and I am sure they will understand. Again this isn't a bad thing.
Reply 7

I don't think what your friends are doing is relevant. Why would you expect your mum ask your friends to cook for you? She's your mum not theirs!

Personally I think it'll teach you some skills you'll enjoy later in life, though you might hate it now.
Reply 8
Original post by NickH77
I don't think what your friends are doing is relevant. Why would you expect your mum ask your friends to cook for you? She's your mum not theirs!

Personally I think it'll teach you some skills you'll enjoy later in life, though you might hate it now.

I am not saying I expect my mum to ask my friends to cook for me, I meant they don't have to at their house.
you'll be grateful to ur mum for this in the future.
I am not saying I expect my mum to ask my friends to cook for me, I meant they don't have to at their house.

Probably their loss.

Generally, people do need taught how to cook acceptably one way or another, and there can be a lot of pleasure in making a meal for others. You can't really talk about 'fair' when you expect the same service from others despite being of an age able to cook yourself.
Having a mum like yours should be a gift. I think that you feel too pressured by needing to cook for her twice a week even when you don't want to-but take the positives of the situation and leave the negatives. You're going to be a great cook who can provide when you have a family of your own. Tell her calmly how you feel about being pressured to cook twice a week and try to have a rational discussion about it, don't argue and just try to reach an understanding with her.

I mean I’m older and personally don’t cook for anyone.
Original post by Surnia
You should be able to cook at 14. And do the washing-up afterwards!

Seriously, it's your friends who are missing out by not learning a basic life skill. If you haven't already, also get laundry, ironing, sewing and the basics of finances under your belt, too.

Maybe invite your friends round and impress them with a home-cooked meal. But they wash the pots afterwards.

excellent idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending