The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6GP01 Government and Politics Unit 1 Exam 01/06/2015

Scroll to see replies

Does any have any examples of places which use Direct Democracy today?
I know Athens used to but didnt know if there was a more update example?
Original post by GodalmingStudier

Switzerland
Original post by GodalmingStudier

Switzerland is currently the country that uses the most direct democracy

"Switzerland is a rare example of a country with instruments of direct democracy (at the level of the towns, cantons and federal state). Citizens have more power than in a representative democracy. At the federal level, citizens can propose changes to the constitution or ask for a referendum to be held on any law voted by the parliement. Between January 1995 and June 2005, Swiss citizens voted 31 times, on 103 questions. "
Isn't it risky learning just two units for Unit 2? Incase Parliament and Constitution come up in the same section?
What do you think will come up in unit 1 for elections and pressure groups?

What do you think will come up for unit 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxvine
Isn't it risky learning just two units for Unit 2? Incase Parliament and Constitution come up in the same section?

Risky but it never has. I doubt they'd break the pattern now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BrendhaUchiha
Risky but it never has. I doubt they'd break the pattern now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL

It would be so deep if they did that....literally what would people who are learning 2 do?
Representative democracy. example will be the UK right and the fact we elect MPs to make decisions and represent us in our constituency on our behalf or am i wrong?
Original post by Prina_R

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last year the 25 marker for PGs was about them undermining democracy, so I'm predicting a 25 marker about factors affecting PG success or if pressure groups have become more/less powerful.

Elections 25 marker will probably be along the lines of should the UK switch to PR.
For the 25 markers do you guys usually write 3 points?

Cause I was just looking at the jan 13 mark scheme for "should direct democracy be more widely used in the UK"

and it says to get in the level 3 threshold for marks you need 4 points in favour???/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Prina_R

Posted from TSR Mobile

Elections has to be something on FPTP being reformed or PR being introduced cause relevant atm
Pressure Groups I'm guessing something to do with success or maybe is power in decline

Unit 2 -
Constitution (probs 40 marker) Codified constitution or adopt bill of rights cause v relevant atm or sovereignty cos EU stuff
Parliament (probs source) maybe sovereignty or something to do with the government dominating power
PM - (either) might be something to do with presedential cos it makes good debate atm or Cabinet power could come up which hasn't in a while

Quick tip: It's so easy to look at the questions when your at your desk before the exam start so do it ahha!! I've planned all my exams 5 mins before it started while i was in the hall so far lmao
Just don't get caught
(edited 8 years ago)
What would you say about the bill of rights? or sovereignty, as in how it's eroded?
Thank you so much for the notes and the help!
How many pages should a 40 marker be? I usually write 4 but I don't know if that's enough

Original post by Bezaleel25
Elections has to be something on FPTP being reformed or PR being introduced cause relevant atm
Pressure Groups I'm guessing something to do with success or maybe is power in decline

Unit 2 -
Constitution (probs 40 marker) Codified constitution or adopt bill of rights cause v relevant atm or sovereignty cos EU stuff
Parliament (probs source) maybe sovereignty or something to do with the government dominating power
PM - (either) might be something to do with presedential cos it makes good debate atm or Cabinet power could come up which hasn't in a while

Quick tip: It's so easy to look at the questions when your at your desk before the exam start so do it ahha!! I've planned all my exams 5 mins before it started while i was in the hall so far lmao
Just don't get caught
Original post by Bezaleel25

Unit 2 -

Just don't get caught

Isnt bill of rights under the judciary topic?
Original post by contradicta
For the 25 markers do you guys usually write 3 points?

Cause I was just looking at the jan 13 mark scheme for "should direct democracy be more widely used in the UK"

and it says to get in the level 3 threshold for marks you need 4 points in favour???/

I usually go for 3 on each side of the argument
Original post by blank101
What would you say about the bill of rights? or sovereignty, as in how it's eroded?
Thank you so much for the notes and the help!
How many pages should a 40 marker be? I usually write 4 but I don't know if that's enough

Bill of Rights would be the same essay as codified constitution but just saying bill of rights instead of constitution

Sovereignty three 3 themes should be EU, Devolution, Judiciary - Sovereignty has eroded to all three institutions
I've just started revising Unit 2 today, will I be okay? Kinda stressing now
I've just started revising Unit 2 today, will I be okay? Kinda stressing now

What other exams do you have? It will be fine we've got over a week and then after unit 1 - three whole days dedicated solely to unit 2
Original post by contradicta
What other exams do you have? It will be fine we've got over a week and then after unit 1 - three whole days dedicated solely to unit 2

Just poltiics! so hopefully it should be okay, but my teacher left and didn't teach us anything so I'm self-teaching from scratch
Just politics! so hopefully it should be okay, but my teacher left and didn't teach us anything so I'm self-teaching from scratch

What are your predicted grades? You can probably do it if you just do intense revision, i'm in the same situation but i'm doing revision such as mind maps and podcasts that our teacher has recorded.
What are your opinions on the electoral system btw ? Just in general, do you think FPTP should be reformed or not, I'm slightly marginal on this not sure what to think, I always go for yes in my essays though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending