The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6GP01 Government and Politics Unit 1 Exam 01/06/2015

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone do a plan for the strengths and weaknesses of representative democracy in the UK with examples please, really struggling with it
It's normally 25 marks
Democracy Questions:

Assess the advantages of direct democracy.
Assess the advantages of representative democracy.
To what extent is the UK political system democratic?
Why has democracy in the UK been criticised?
To what extent does the UK suffer from a "participation crisis"?
How could the UK system be made more democratic?
What would be the most effective ways of improving political participation in the UK?
Should referendums be more widely used in the UK?

Elections Questions:

To what extent do different electoral systems affect party representation and government?
To what extent has the use of more proportional electoral systems affected the political process in the UK?
Should proportional representation be used for UK government?
Make a case against reforming the electoral system used for UK general elections.
"A link still exists between class and voting". Discuss the extent to which class still influences voting behaviour in the UK.
To what extent have voting patterns in the UK become more volatile and less predictable?
Assess the impact of issue voting on the outcome of recent UK general elections.
Should "FPTP" be used for election to the House of Commons?

Pressure Groups Questions:

To what extent have pressure groups become more powerful in recent years?
Are the largest pressure groups the most powerful ones?
Why are some pressure groups more successful than others?
To what extent is the UK a pluralist democracy?
Have pressure groups replaced political parties as the main vehicle for political participation?
Do pressure groups widen the distribution of political power or concentrate it?
Assess the view that pressure groups strengthen democracy.

RIGHT! All of these questions have appeared in the last 6 years, some exactly as I have written, and others reworded, but meaning the same. These are all 25 markers! Plan some of these, the bolded ones are ones that HAVE come up in the last 3 years, so are unlikely to come up again.

My school did not teach the Political Parties topic, so I'm just going to cram, and plan as many of these essays as possible, before Monday.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 982
Does anyone know any tips on making sure you get full marks in the 5 markers and 10 markers? Like structure, or how many examples or something?
Thankyou!
Other than the AV referendum, what reforms could be considered insignificant since 1997? To me they all look significant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BrendhaUchiha
Other than the AV referendum, what reforms could be considered insignificant since 1997? To me they all look significant

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could argue that the HOL reforms are insignificant as they they did not go far enough and it remains unelected and unaccountable.
Original post by Annie.humair
Can anyone do a plan for the strengths and weaknesses of representative democracy in the UK with examples please, really struggling with it
It's normally 25 marks

Representative Democracy:

+

It produces a strong and stable government, stability in contrast to unreliability in a direct democracy.
E.g. Since WWII, only 2 governments have been minority ones.

Professional, well educated politicians can make decisions on the citizens behalf.
E.g. Through the use of FPTP, there are 650 Members of Parliament, that represent each constituency.

Political diversity, means that there are numerous ways to participate.
E.g. The use of pressure groups means that people can oppose, and there is room for debate/also the increase in female members of Parliament.

-

Turnout in elections is low, creating problems for legitimacy.
E.g. 2001 = 59% / 2015 = 66% - not a high increase, only increased by 1% since the 2010 General Election

First Past the Post is not a proportional system - two-party-system, not democratic.
E.g. The House of Common's is dominated by the same politicians.

Imbalance of equality within pressure groups, wealth...size... etc. means that the use of other democratic methods of participating, are flawed.
E.g. The differences in priveleges between insider and outsider groups.

Hope this helps...
Reply 986
Original post by contradicta
You could argue that the HOL reforms are insignificant as they they did not go far enough and it remains unelected and unaccountable.

You know the question why has democracy in the UK been critercised
is this a one sided argument question?
Original post by 3mmz
You know the question why has democracy in the UK been critercised
is this a one sided argument question?

is it a 10 or 25 marker?
A 10 marker can be one sided
A 25 marker always requires both sides even if it's "assess the advantages of..." because you need to show balance

So if that was a 25 marker you would mention democratic deficits but to counter with attempts at reform
Original post by NimaOP
I made a short revision document on democracy and political participation. Anyone want a copy?

going to make a pressure groups one too, which should be ready soon

Can I have a copy?
Okay, so would anyone agree with me when I say that there is a good chance of: referendums and the "participation crisis" coming up?
Original post by victoria1998
democracy questions:

assess the advantages of direct democracy.
assess the advantages of representative democracy.
to what extent is the uk political system democratic?
Why has democracy in the uk been criticised?
To what extent does the uk suffer from a "participation crisis"?
how could the uk system be made more democratic?
what would be the most effective ways of improving political participation in the uk?
Should referendums be more widely used in the uk?

elections questions:

to what extent do different electoral systems affect party representation and government?
To what extent has the use of more proportional electoral systems affected the political process in the uk?
should proportional representation be used for uk government?
make a case against reforming the electoral system used for uk general elections.
"a link still exists between class and voting". Discuss the extent to which class still influences voting behaviour in the uk.
To what extent have voting patterns in the uk become more volatile and less predictable?
Assess the impact of issue voting on the outcome of recent uk general elections.
should "fptp" be used for election to the house of commons?

pressure groups questions:

to what extent have pressure groups become more powerful in recent years?
are the largest pressure groups the most powerful ones?
why are some pressure groups more successful than others?
to what extent is the uk a pluralist democracy?
Have pressure groups replaced political parties as the main vehicle for political participation?
Do pressure groups widen the distribution of political power or concentrate it?
assess the view that pressure groups strengthen democracy.

right! All of these questions have appeared in the last 6 years, some exactly as i have written, and others reworded, but meaning the same. These are all 25 markers! Plan some of these, the bolded ones are ones that have come up in the last 3 years, so are unlikely to come up again.

My school did not teach the political parties topic, so i'm just going to cram, and plan as many of these essays as possible, before monday.

thankyou :smile::smile::smile::smile:
Original post by emash25
Can anyone help??
I have been looking at the edexcel work book (one with the model man on the front).
Is it just me or does there seem to be a mistake when it talks about the AV system on page 108.
It seems to be describing SV??
:frown:

You using the Heywood book?
Does anyone know how you would answer the question:

Is the UK suffering from a participation crisis?

I don't understand how you'd answer this...
How would i answer elitism vs pluralism
Reply 994
Okay, so would anyone agree with me when I say that there is a good chance of: referendums and the "participation crisis" coming up?

I really hope they do!!

Ok so this question would be a typical 25 marker
You would need to talk about birth sides of the argument

But if someone could outline what point would need to be made on each side

So far I have low turnouts in general elections which questions legitimacy

But pressure group membership growing
Increase in the use of online petitions
People engage in referendums most recent example Scottish independence referendum 2014, 97% registered to vote and the turn out was 85%

Does anyone have anymore points for yes it is in crisis plus some examples
Original post by Annie.humair
Ok so this question would be a typical 25 marker
You would need to talk about birth sides of the argument

But if someone could outline what point would need to be made on each side

So far I have low turnouts in general elections which questions legitimacy

But pressure group membership growing
Increase in the use of online petitions
People engage in referendums most recent example Scottish independence referendum 2014, 97% registered to vote and the turn out was 85%

Does anyone have anymore points for yes it is in crisis plus some examples

You could also say how only 1% of the public are members of a political party and that poltical activism has reduced
Reply 997

You would do 2vs3 however i can only think of 2 for each side, but I hope this helps!

- yes it is because there has been extremely low turnout in recent elections, 65% and 66%in the last two, and in the last whole UK referendum on AV the turnout was only 42%- this shows participation crisis as years before there has been greater turnout e.g 1992- 77% and 1996- 71%
-yes it is because political party membership as fallen in recent years- in the 1970's labour had 1.4 million members, now only just 190,000- fewer than 1% of the population of members of political parties compared to 3.8% in 1983

However
-No it is not because the 2015 GE turnout was the highest since 1997- this shows that if there once was a participation crisis it is now heading out of the crisis as we have gone up every year since 1997- also referendums such as Scottish 2014 turnout was 85%
-No because there has been an increase membership in pressure groups, people are participating in politics else where to voting and elections- 40-50% of UK citizens are members of pressure groups, although membership of parties has gone down it has been compensated by the high membership of pressure groups- RSPB has over 1million and National Trust has 3.4 million- it is the largest voluntary organisation in Europe

I hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 998
I have some Democracy notes if anyone would like to see them!
Original post by ec240
I have some Democracy notes if anyone would like to see them!

Yes please!!!!:smile::smile::smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending