The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6GP01 Government and Politics Unit 1 Exam 01/06/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by victoria1998
Direct democracy is the opposite to the democracy used in the UK, today. Direct democracy is based on the direct, unmediated and continuous participation of citizens. Direct, meaning that they do not simply choose people to act on behalf of them. Unmediated, meaning that the people ARE the government, and that there is no in between. Finally, continuous meaning that the people engage in politics on a regular basis, and that all decisions are made by the people. An example of direct democracy would be the use of referendums, a popular vote on an issue of public policy.

A brief description and example - this is the structure I have been taught to use for 5 MARKERS! :biggrin:

Thank you :smile:
Original post by GodalmingStudier
Is anyone here doing Democracy and Pressure Groups and want to help me? :smile:

i am and i would be happy to help and test my knowledge
Is anyone here doing Democracy and Pressure Groups and want to help me? :smile:

These are the two questions I am planning on doing. But I'm going to do Elections now, just in case. It will only be brief, but it's just going to be as a back-up...
How would you brief define direct democracy?

A type of democracy whereby the people themselves make important political decisions rather than just leaving it to the elected or appointed representatives.

OR

A type of democracy whereby the people are ATLEAST involved in decision making. They are consulted and their opinions matter.
These are the two questions I am planning on doing. But I'm going to do Elections now, just in case. It will only be brief, but it's just going to be as a back-up...

I am doing, democracy, pressure groups and Elections.
Original post by Jwanaton

Same
Original post by LaurenceJ96
I am doing, democracy, pressure groups and Elections.

What do you think will come up? Or what has your teacher said?
Original post by Jwanaton

Im trying to get definitions of the following as they could be 5 mark questions:
Democracy
Liberal Democracy
Direct Democracy
Representative Democracy
Parliamentary Democracy
Citizenship
Referendums
Legitimacy
Representation
Power and Authority
Sovereignty
The State

And then for Pressure Groups there:
A Pressure Group
Interest Groups
Cause Groups
Insider Groups
Outsider Groups
Pluralism
Pluralist Democracy

But its taking so long
Yeah, guys, try not to stay up too late tonight, aim to get to bed at 10 at the latest - I sound like my mum but seriously, sleep well have a good breakfast tomorrow morning and smash it!

I hate morning exams, some people love them, but my brain isn't fully functioning at 9am, oh well...

Do what you can now, and do a little on your way into school, but we seem to all know lots of information, we just need to apply it to whatever we get asked tomorrow - we can only do what we can. STAY POSITIVE!

See i make mind maps till the late hours, i just rewrite everything. Then i usually forget it. I go to bed. Wake up, i spend 30 mins looking over notes.
One thing I do, is stay away from the exam area until i have to go in, nothing is worse than seeing people panicing, overhearing them revise things you already know or things you dont need to know.

At this point i still cant remember anything, then soon as i get in and see the questions, bam the information comes flooding out. Its strange really, it used to worry me when i couldnt remember anything before an exam..

I was going to but then decided I'm gonna do just two but do them in full depth
Original post by gcarys
how would you even plan this does anyone have a plan that they could help me with

Thuan a quite a tricky one since you need to know all the election systems and their results in the recent years inside out

No- FPTP is said to produce strong and stable single govts
It favours large parties- conservative and labour since post war
Creates a less fair representation
Allegedly drives down turnout as voters feel their votes are being wasted

Yes- in 2010 FPTP produced a coalition govt and AMS in Scotland produced a single SNP govt with a majority of 69

No- AMS used in devolved regions is confusing for voters who select two types of representatives
Appears that losers are compensated on part lists over which the electorate has no choice
Outcome is made more more proportional by its constituency list top up

Yes- all electrol systems in the ukprovide geographical representation to varying degrees

No- closed list systems used to elect mep
Most proportional system
The two main parties collect less than 50% of the vote and the outcome more accurately reflects how people voted
Results are accurate and fair shares are given out
Shows the unfairness of other systems

Yes-,major parties tend to dominate whatever the electoral system

This is a really rough plan
Feel free to correct me or add anything to it
Plus does anyone know what the points could be for STV
What do you think will come up? Or what has your teacher said?

This is the issue, my teacher got sacked after the 1st History exam; he didnt teach something that came up. So we have had no teacher.. Basically having to teach myself.
Original post by gcarys
can someone PLEASE help with electoral systems producing different outcomes? i am SO stuck!

so FPTP usually creates strong and stable governments with a single party having majority. It also distorts representation to favour big parties, especially Labour.
AMS is generally proportional and fair since it uses a differential top up system - helps the conservatives who are disadvantaged.
STV creates coalitions.
Party list is the most proportional and accurate - helps small parties like UKIP

HOWEVER
FPTP doesnt always produce single party govs - 2010 coalition & 1974 minority labour gov
AMS produced single party gov not coaliton
major parties usually dominate or win - general elections, London mayor, etc.
Original post by geothetory
that was last year, so it wont come up

thank god!
Help me for a potential 25 marker, 'How have pressure groups increased in popularity over recent years?'
Original post by Annie.humair
Thuan a quite a tricky one since you need to know all the election systems and their results in the recent years inside out

No- FPTP is said to produce strong and stable single govts
It favours large parties- conservative and labour since post war
Creates a less fair representation
Allegedly drives down turnout as voters feel their votes are being wasted

Yes- in 2010 FPTP produced a coalition govt and AMS in Scotland produced a single SNP govt with a majority of 69

No- AMS used in devolved regions is confusing for voters who select two types of representatives
Appears that losers are compensated on part lists over which the electorate has no choice
Outcome is made more more proportional by its constituency list top up

Yes- all electrol systems in the ukprovide geographical representation to varying degrees

No- closed list systems used to elect mep
Most proportional system
The two main parties collect less than 50% of the vote and the outcome more accurately reflects how people voted
Results are accurate and fair shares are given out
Shows the unfairness of other systems

Yes-,major parties tend to dominate whatever the electoral system

This is a really rough plan
Feel free to correct me or add anything to it
Plus does anyone know what the points could be for STV

What is the question for this?
i find it quite hard to remember how each electoral system work :/ any help??
Sorry guys but it's impossible to predict what's going to be in the politics exam. Only good thing is to take out what came out last year, even then it could be done again but in a diff. question
Example of compulsory voting?
Original post by blank101
Example of compulsory voting?

Australia.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending