The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6GP01 Government and Politics Unit 1 Exam 01/06/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by apsjohnson
Guys find attached some plans for electoral systems and democracy and participation i put together 10+25 markers:smile:

I don't know you, but I love you for attaching those files. :goofy::goofy::goofy:
Original post by Prina_R
Same here! Oh I've learnt elections and PG..but I thought the exam was In the afternoon so I haven't finished PG yet, need to wake up early now 😭 good luck! :smile:

Ahhh same!im doing everything last minute,elections is a horrible topic for me!i know it would be so much better if it was in the afternoon,i am going to wake up early too.I cant sleep,im so scared :/ going to try and make up for it on unit 2 much prefer that one.Good luck to you too ,im sure youll be fine!
Here we are night before the exam then! Whats everyone hoping for in regards to Democracy and Electoral system questions? Also am I the only one whose took the slightly risky route and thoroughly revised 2 topics while just completely ditching the other 2?
Original post by contradicta
Yes the question would be To what extend is the UK a liberal democracy?

If it is I will be so happy! I've literally just written an essay on this

Could you please send me the essay you wrote? I'm really struggling with that question as I don't know it in detail.
Original post by zzinah
I don't know you, but I love you for attaching those files. :goofy::goofy::goofy:

Me too!thank you so much for those files!
Original post by SkippyJay97
Here we are night before the exam then! Whats everyone hoping for in regards to Democracy and Electoral system questions? Also am I the only one whose took the slightly risky route and thoroughly revised 2 topics while just completely ditching the other 2?

Nope you are not the only one!i have only revised democracy and the parties i am going to briefly go over pressure groups in the morning.
Can someone email me them files? They won't open for me :frown:

My email address is [email protected]

ive done exactly that and now I am completely bricking it
Original post by Prina_R
Can someone email me them files? They won't open for me :frown:

My email address is [email protected]

I have emailed them to you
Original post by leoltltiieee
ive done exactly that and now I am completely bricking it

I'm sure you'll be alright, at the end of the day those are the 2 topics in my mind they're least likely to throw in a random question.

Personally i'm quite confident with electoral systems i'm just worried they may ask about referendums for the democracy question which is a bit tough for me and I reckon they may ask it purely because of the Scottish independence 2014 referendum + the potentially upcoming EU referendum. Hopefully not though
Reply 1790

Don't worry, I've done exactly the same as you!
Original post by sarahmayy98
I have emailed them to you

Thank you
Original post by sarahmayy98
Nope you are not the only one!i have only revised democracy and the parties i am going to briefly go over pressure groups in the morning.

Might just do the same and go over PGs a lil bit since they are quite easy imo, having looked at the last few questions on them feels like they may ask about how they can be deemed successful or whether they are elitist or pluralist
Has anyone else revised parties and policies?
Reply 1794
Also, just in case people didn't actually pay attention to the General Election in May (unlikely I know since we're all doing politics), I've attached a document with key info about the results of it so people have recent examples if they need it.
I'm sure you'll be alright, at the end of the day those are the 2 topics in my mind they're least likely to throw in a random question.

Personally i'm quite confident with electoral systems i'm just worried they may ask about referendums for the democracy question which is a bit tough for me and I reckon they may ask it purely because of the Scottish independence 2014 referendum + the potentially upcoming EU referendum. Hopefully not though

Everything else with democracy seems to flow quite easily except the referendums part. You're right I dont see much of a curve ball coming with electoral systems
I am going to spend one more hour revising then try and get some sleep
Who has politics in the morning and biology in the afternoon tomorrow? I DO :/
Original post by Hannah--17
ACCOUNTABILITY-
----Is liberal, as parliament forces government to be accountable requiring ministers to explain and justify actions, recent example would be Malcolm rifkind.
You can also refer to PMQ, committee stages scrutinise legislation, pressure groups etc.
---- isn't as parliament doesn't have enough time to undertake this task effectively, departmental business is becoming increasingly more complex, and doesn't have expertise to make govt accountable. Could also refer to inquiries how they are slow, eg Iraq report findings?

FREE AND FAIR ELECTIONS
---- they are free from corruption, one person one vote, (ballot act) the independent electoral commission oversees elections to ensure they are honestly conducted.
Refer to North Korea, how it's corrupt, as we'll refer to Scottish referendum how it was conducted free and fair, contrary to Syria referendum on intro of new constitution.

----- voting fraud, Darlington City, how the ukip member was not on. 89 ballot papers, the voting system isn't an actual representation of what the British people want.

RIGHTS AND LIBERTIES
---- human rights act of. 2000 incorporates ECHR, INTO British law, therefore protects people's rights, including minority sections of society. Excerpted through the rule of law, Christ huhne, sentenced to. 8 months in jail after got wife to take points on her licence.

----- British parliament is sovereign so retains control over rights and freedoms can set these aside, in the interst of law and order or national security ,abu qatada case. Prisoners right to vote?

hope this helps!

Surely you'll need 5 points for a 25 marker?

Democracy
referendums, direct democracy and participation

elections
compulsory voting, proportional representation, FPTP

anything else i am screwed mate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending