The Student Room Group

AQA Further Maths FP2 [Exam discussion thread] - Tuesday 16th June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Lau14
Pretty sure the identities are in the formula book/can be found by dividing through by cosh and sinh etc? But it comes out as:
cosh2x - sinh2x = 1 therefore
1 - tanh2x = sech2x
coth2x - 1 = cosech2x therefore
cosh2x = 2cosh2x - 1
cosh2x = 2sinh2x + 1
(hopefully those are actually right!) along with sinh2x = 2sinhxcoshx I can't think of any others?

There's very little that's not in the formula book off the top of my head, other than sinhx = ex - e-x and coshx = ex + e-x...

Lol just realised you can divide by cosh and sinh to get the other ones, thanks. btw, that's supposed to be over 2
Reply 41
Original post by morgan8002
cosh2xsinh2x1\cosh^2 x - \sinh^2 x \equiv 1
sinh(A+B)sinhAcoshB+sinhBcoshA\sinh(A+B) \equiv \sinh A \cosh B + \sinh B \cosh A
cosh(A+B)coshAcoshB+sinhAsinhB\cosh(A+B) \equiv \cosh A\cosh B + \sinh A\sinh B

Use the circular identities and replace cos with cosh and sin with sinh, use Obsborne's rule to get the signs right(where there is a sin2\sin^2, replace with a sinh2-\sinh^2).

Do you have to know the double angle stuff? it's not in the formula book, but yeah you can just use Osborne's rule with the normal trig double identities and derive them
Original post by Lau14
Pretty sure the identities are in the formula book/can be found by dividing through by cosh and sinh etc? But it comes out as:
cosh2x - sinh2x = 1 therefore
1 - tanh2x = sech2x
coth2x - 1 = cosech2x therefore
cosh2x = 2cosh2x - 1
cosh2x = 2sinh2x + 1
(hopefully those are actually right!) along with sinh2x = 2sinhxcoshx I can't think of any others?

There's very little that's not in the formula book off the top of my head, other than sinhx = ex - e-x and coshx = ex + e-x...

Beat me to it. I think the top ones are correct, but don't have time to check. The bolded ones are incorrect.
sinhx=12(exex),coshx=12(ex+ex)\sinh x = \frac{1}{2}(e^{x} - e^{-x}), \cosh x = \frac{1}{2}(e^x + e^{-x})
Original post by ubisoft
Do you have to know the double angle stuff? it's not in the formula book, but yeah you can just use Osborne's rule with the normal trig double identities and derive them

They come in handy a lot in integration, but I think at A-level they always ask you to derive the specific expression required from first principles(using exponentials). Doesn't hurt to know them just in case and I'm not sure. Yep.
Reply 44
Beat me to it. I think the top ones are correct, but don't have time to check. The bolded ones are incorrect.
sinhx=12(exex),coshx=12(ex+ex)\sinh x = \frac{1}{2}(e^{x} - e^{-x}), \cosh x = \frac{1}{2}(e^x + e^{-x})

Original post by ubisoft
Lol just realised you can divide by cosh and sinh to get the other ones, thanks. btw, that's supposed to be over 2

Oops you wouldn't believe how often I forget those halves, thanks!
Reply 45
They come in handy a lot in integration, but I think at A-level they always ask you to derive the specific expression required from first principles(using exponentials). Doesn't hurt to know them just in case and I'm not sure. Yep.

Yeah those long hyperbolic identity integration are killer, especially when they ask you to leave it in a form they want. Takes me ages, need to get faster
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lau14
Oops you wouldn't believe how often I forget those halves, thanks!

Remember the halves when you derive similar expressions for sin and cos in exponentials too.
Reply 47
Remember the halves when you derive similar expressions for sin and cos in exponentials too.

When do you do that?
Original post by Lau14
When do you do that?

Using complex numbers to prove trig identities.
Do z+z1z+z^{-1} and zz1z -z^{-1} ring any bells? Where z=eiθz=e^{i\theta}.
Can someone explain the very last two questions from June 2011 paper? the ones about tan
Reply 50
Using complex numbers to prove trig identities.
Do z+z1z+z^{-1} and zz1z -z^{-1} ring any bells? Where z=eiθz=e^{i\theta}.

Oh yeah I remember now I think :P
Chapter 3...method of differences and proof by induction.

The textbook is pretty darn poor.

I'll just keep practicing but even then what if they give us an induction type we've never done? If that's even possible.
Original post by monfernova
Chapter 3...method of differences and proof by induction.

The textbook is pretty darn poor.

I'll just keep practicing but even then what if they give us an induction type we've never done? If that's even possible.

Agreed.

I don't think they're allowed to set difficult method of differences and induction questions. Method of differences they'll always give you the function and get you to sum the series. For induction they only ask you to sum a series or prove divisibility or de Moivre's theorem.
Agreed.

I don't think they're allowed to set difficult method of differences and induction questions. Method of differences they'll always give you the function and get you to sum the series. For induction they only ask you to sum a series or prove divisibility or de Moivre's theorem.

Okay, at least there is that
Reply 54
Which years had the hardest papers?
Reply 55
Original post by ubisoft
Which years had the hardest papers?

Judging by the grade boundaries (62 for an A*) June 11 was pretty bad
edit Jan 12 as well was only 59 for a A*
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by Lau14
Judging by the grade boundaries (62 for an A*) June 11 was pretty bad
edit Jan 12 as well was only 59 for a A*

Thanks, I'll do them. Have you done any of the old papers, pre-2010? are they worth doing or are they too easy?
Reply 57
Original post by ubisoft
Thanks, I'll do them. Have you done any of the old papers, pre-2010? are they worth doing or are they too easy?

I used Jan 06 - June 09 (the first 8 papers) to teach myself how to do everything, going through them topic by topic, seeing as learning from the textbook mostly just confused me a bit! So I can't really judge on their difficulty because I was doing them with my notes etc. If you've done everything else do them, because any practice is good, but obviously more recent papers are the priority if you don't have time before the exam to get any more done
Reply 58
What is the concluding statement for proof by induction?

I always wrote True for n=1, n=k and n=k+1. Therefore true for all integers.

But my teacher marked this wrong? (he said you don't write n=k) What should you write to give the examiner no complaints at all
Reply 59
Original post by ubisoft
What is the concluding statement for proof by induction?

I always wrote True for n=1, n=k and n=k+1. Therefore true for all integers.

But my teacher marked this wrong? (he said you don't write n=k) What should you write to give the examiner no complaints at all

Excellent question, mark schemes are really unhelpful on this :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending