The Student Room Group

BP loses another court case in bid to cut Gulf of Mexico oil spill fine

Poll

Are the fines given to BP too high?

BP asked the court to set a compensation limit of $3000 on each barrel of oil spilt during the disaster.

Claims have been made that BP is being unfairly targeted by US authorities for their part in the oil spill.

Is BP being unfairly targeted with high fines?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31545697

jimjam22
x

Do you feel a British company is being unfairly targeted?

Sena5
x

Will you defend the actions of U.S. authorities?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Botswana feels the fines are justifiable, the other parties involved should also be punished, the world is slowly rotting and oil spills accelerate the pace, with the world procrastinating the issue (my country included) this is a big step forward in showing that MNC's can't just trample on the environment for their own greedy interests. If only oil companies like Shell can be held accountable for the pollution of the Niger delta.
Reply 2
Original post by Nigel Farage MEP
BP asked the court to set a compensation limit of $3000 on each barrel of oil spilt during the disaster.

Claims have been made that BP is being unfairly targeted by US authorities for their part in the oil spill.

Is BP being unfairly targeted with high fines?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31545697

Do you feel a British company is being unfairly targeted?

Will you defend the actions of U.S. authorities?

If it is the U.S oil spilled then they have to wait to get the oil again as taught in science. It takes yeas or even decades. Oil spilled is waste for US if it is oil from the US. If it is this way, I would agree to BP paying and in this case US authorities targeting them is not false and BP is fairly targeted with high fines.

If vice-versa, that is if the oil isn't US then I will defend the US authorities and mention BP being unfairly targeted with high fines.
Ireland believes BP needs to take responsibility for its actions and the damage caused and as such should pay the fine imposed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending