The Student Room Group

Advice on a few car niggles

Hi,

My car is due for its MOT very soon and it has got a few niggles which I would like some advice on so I can sound more knowledgeable than I actually am when I speak to the mechanic. Perhaps some of the issues below will get sorted after its full service (done 12k recently since having the Toyota Avensis since 2019) but any pointers would be appreciated.

1. During the summer, I noticed that the main air vents weren't giving out as much cool air as it should but as it was that time of year, I didn't pay much attention to it. Now winter has arrived, I've noticed the air vents to unsteam the front and back windows are fine as the windows clear up but it's all cold air. It normally would help heat the car up but it doesn't. The main air vents don't give out any air or if they do, it's cold. What could be the reason?

2. Also, I've noticed when driving up really steep hills that my car loses power so I have to drop down a gear to get it moving better. I thought it could be because I sometimes go up in a higher gear so I tried to make sure I dropped to first but it still persists. I've heard it could be a case of cleaning the oil filter? There's no oil leaks although I've had issues of my dashboard alerting me to top up oil which I do.

3. I had an advisory to change my registration lamp light and one of my handbrake lights has died, are these easy to replace? My manual is helpful to guide me and if it's one less thing I can ask the arsey mechanic to do that would be great.

4. Related to question 1 but as it has been really freezing I have been able to clear my windows in the morning, plus I use de-icer and windscreen covers however I've noticed my windows have condensation from inside and besides using a cloth, I don't know how to clear it using the air con or heating buttons. Maybe it's a natural thing during these cold times but it annoys me.

Any help for this useless driver on the road would be much appreciated

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending