The Student Room Group

AQA Chem Unit 1 May 22nd 2015 *OFFICIAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by purplecloud
quick question the addition of neutrons means an isotope is created, and i know that chemical properties are to do with electrons, so would a change in neutrons cause any Physical property change ?

the different masses of isotopes means they have different physical properties ie boiling point
Original post by ashiekh
How is this but-1-ene I am confused I thought it was it was just butene

Its asking for a positional isomer of that molecule, so you must say where the double bond is.
Original post by Roshany

3.atoms with the same number of protons but a different number of neutrons

That's an isotope.
Anyone got any tips for balancing complex equations?!! :frown:
Original post by lukejoshjames
That's an isotope.

whoops :P
Original post by Ozy96
C i) Increases because they are bigger molecules so more vdW forces between the molecules requiring more energy to break.

ii) HF has stronger Intermolecular forces (Hydrogen bonding)

make sure to include increase number of electrons :biggrin: as they get bigger
Reply 586
hey has anyone got any tips for balancing equations quickly?? it always takes me so long to do it and I waste all my time on the paper on it :frown: plzzz
looking forward to getting my full UMS tomorrow :colonhash:
Reply 588
Original post by ScienceGuy121
Anyone got any tips for balancing complex equations?!! :frown:

leave till the end then just do one element at a time and keep persisting!!
Original post by AleenaDina8
the different masses of isotopes means they have different physical properties ie boiling point

No, they don't. Just because they have different masses doesn't change their properties. Their electrons are what create their characteristical properties, and as the electron configuration doesn't change, because they are the same element, there is no change in physical properties.
Original post by Nels98
leave till the end then just do one element at a time and keep persisting!!

It is the only thing that just stumps me! :frown:
I don't get this question.
Which of the following shows the numbers of iodine atoms in 0.025g of I2.
The answer was a) 0.025/126.9 * 6.02*10^23

I don't get why you don't multiply the Ar (126.9) by 2 since there are two atoms.
Anyone know the reason??
(edited 8 years ago)
How do you work out molecular formula? My mind is so scrambled for tomorrow :frown:
I am so ****ed for this exam even after revising and unit 2 is even worse why did I do chemistry?!?!?!
Original post by j5994
hey has anyone got any tips for balancing equations quickly?? it always takes me so long to do it and I waste all my time on the paper on it :frown: plzzz

for equations with hydrocarbons in them (e.g burning them) start with balancing 1 atom first e.g. Carbon, then move to hydrogen and then finally to oxygen, dont try balance the whole molecule at once. Sale rule applies to other equations.
Also if you wish you could write out all the atoms on each side of equation and figure out common multiples
Original post by lukejoshjames
1) Weighted mean mass of an atom of an element compared to 1/12 the mass of one C-12 atom.
2) Mass of a formula unit compared to 1/12 the mass of one C-12 atom.
3) Really depends on what isomer you're talking about. Structural? Stereo?

For the first two can you use the division sign which is underlined?

Hydroxide ion is OH-.

Oxygen now has 7 electrons around outer shell. One is being used up with the hydrogen....
Meaning there is 6 electrons left over, hence 3 lone pairs.

:smile:
Original post by Charlie1o5
How do you work out molecular formula? My mind is so scrambled for tomorrow :frown:

Have you got a question I can see to help you out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 598
Original post by Charlie1o5

work out the empirical formula and its Mr then it will tell you the Mr of the molecular formula so just multiply the empirical formula until you get the right Mr
Original post by bat_man
nope, unit 1

is this edexcel?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending