Reply 60
Original post by Ozy96
Thats for part two, I was asking about part 1

Oh sorry :/ Im not sure then... Have you looked at the mark scheme
Reply 61
Im feeling a lot better about this exam! I got 66/70 in a mock:cool:
How is everyone's revision going?
Original post by frances98
No it would be CH. In the diagram you can see one carbon bonded to one hydrogen. I was only using ethene as an example.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The C is bonded to 3 other carbons and a H isn't it (what it says in Q)
You know when we're drawing shapes of molecules, for example, let's draw CCl2F2

I know that it's a tetrahedral shape so the carbon will be bonded to 4 of the atoms and no lone pairs,
And I understand that you have to draw a thick line and a dotted line to show the shape,

My question is, does it matter which atom you put on the dotted line or thick line.

For instance, drawing it like this: Carbon bonded to fluorine (dotted line), fluorine (thick line), chlorine (straight line), and chlorine (straight line)
Is it the same as this:

Carbon bonded to chlorine (dotted line), chlorine (thick line), fluorine (straight line), and fluorine (straight line)

Sorry, if this question made no sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've taken a picture to explain my question, thank you
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431117132.174037.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Original post by Bloom77
I've taken a picture to explain my question, thank you
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431117132.174037.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont think it makes a difference. Have you checked a Mark scheme???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frances98
I dont think it makes a difference. Have you checked a Mark scheme???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay,
I'm not sure, I have but it doesn't give any other options.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Original post by Bloom77
Oh okay,
I'm not sure, I have but it doesn't give any other options.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it doesnt matter as the dotted lines etc are used to show 3d in prespective so it depends on the direction you're looking at the molecule. Tbh you dont have to use dotted lines at all and still get the mark
Original post by Hudl
No it doesnt matter as the dotted lines etc are used to show 3d in prespective so it depends on the direction you're looking at the molecule. Tbh you dont have to use dotted lines at all and still get the mark

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

bt to b on the safe side its best that u include the dotted lines!!
:biggrin:
Reply 71
Original post by Itsmonique
I got a C when I first did the exam last year. What I've been doing throughout the year is going over my notes and making sure I have a throughout understanding of each topic. I realised this now in A2, in order to pass chemistry a level you cannot just learn and memorise. simply understand and go over past paper questions. My teacher said that the paper I sat was probably the easiest paper yet.
My advice would be to learn all the equations (PV=nRT etc.). practice as many past papers as you can. Personally I am aiming to do each past paper until I get an A in each of them. Have you used the ''A-Level Chemistry'' website? If not definitely use this, it consists of practice past paper questions relevant to each topic from the specification. If your stuck ask your teacher or watch youtube videos like khan academy or any other video that is following the AQA specification. If you want old past papers I would recommend you to use the ''xtremepapers'' website, which has papers from 2001. Just be careful that some topics in those papers were a part of the old syllabus. My teacher has also made practice papers so if you want I can send them to you. Sorry for the long post!

could u send me ur teacher's practice papers please? out of real papers haha
Reply 72
Not even started revising for this and I'm resitting. This is nothing compared to CHEM5 thats probably why
Reply 73
Original post by Hudl
Not even started revising for this and I'm resitting. This is nothing compared to CHEM5 thats probably why

how do u know when to use enthalpies of formation or combustion
llike they always mention both by saying "using the enthalpies of formation find...."
so how do u know if you are supposed to draw a formation diagram in which arrows go up or a combustion diagram in which arrows go down?

- thanks
Original post by iman.k
how do u know when to use enthalpies of formation or combustion
llike they always mention both by saying "using the enthalpies of formation find...."
so how do u know if you are supposed to draw a formation diagram in which arrows go up or a combustion diagram in which arrows go down?

- thanks

Look at the table
You know they give you the molecules or elements
And the next coloumn, it tells you the enthalpies. It will either say C or F.
Don't read the description read the table to find out whther you have to use combustion or formation.

I don't like using hess's law, but unless they tell you to do hess's law, then you do the arrow thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Resitting this as well. Havent started revising, probably will like 2/3 days before. Chem 1 is a joke compared to chem 5. Make sure you use chemrevise guys. It's a life saver
Reply 76
Original post by Bloom77
Look at the table
You know they give you the molecules or elements
And the next coloumn, it tells you the enthalpies. It will either say C or F.
Don't read the description read the table to find out whther you have to use combustion or formation.

I don't like using hess's law, but unless they tell you to do hess's law, then you do the arrow thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ohh i get it now thankk uu
X = Boron10 Y = Boron11
(10X + 11Y) / (X + Y) = 10.8

10X + 11Y = 10.8(X+Y)
10X + 11Y = 10.8X + 10.8Y
11Y - 10.8Y = 10.8X - 10X
0.2Y = 0.8X
Y = 4X
So there is 4 times as much Boron 11 as Boron 10, this means Boron 10's abundance must be 20%
Original post by MissC123
Resitting this as well. Havent started revising, probably will like 2/3 days before. Chem 1 is a joke compared to chem 5. Make sure you use chemrevise guys. It's a life saver

haha im with you on that, chem 1 seems to be baby talk
A sample of the metal silver has the relative atomic mass of 107.9 and exists astwo isotopes. In this sample, 54.0% of the silver atoms are one isotope with arelative mass of 107.1
Calculate the relative mass of the other silver isotope.

Could someone explain simply how to work this out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending