The Student Room Group

Are you voting for Ukip?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saahil0987
Simple control, sure I guess nothing too bad about that but what about these:
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-25793358 (Yes, I understand he's now suspended but the ideology was still there)
- http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/19/nigel-farage-next-door-romanians-ukip

The truth of the matter is that when extreme parties like this turn up we need to be careful - you may vote them for simple immigration control but then end up with deportation or maybe even something worse.

If History serves as a reminder the Nazis were actually voted into power with the simple promise of a better life for 'real' germans and we all know how that story developed. By no means am I saying that if UKIP are elected they will turn and cause mass genocide, all I'm saying is that I would be a bit wary about a party whose main policies relate to immigration when in the real sense we probably benefit more from open borders than closed ones

Pure hyperbole, we want to maximise the benefits of immigration while minimising the negative impacts. Letting in people who are highly skilled or that fill skill gaps is the solution, but the numbers, especially at the low end of the wage spectrum, really should be reduced.
Original post by safiaahmed
UKIP are openly racist, sexist and homophobic! I can't quite believe that they're a real party..

Openly the "holy trinity" of the PC-establishment's caricatures? I don't think so. On supposed "racism", we believe it's racist to discriminate against skilled migrants from India and Australia in favour of anyone from a small peninsula of the Eurasian landmass. How about UKIP's policy of purely judging migrants on what they will bring to the country, seems the inverse of racist to me?

On sexism, we have the highest number of female MEPs WITHOUT all-female shortlists. Opposing positive DISCRIMINATION does not equal sexism.

On homophobia (which is a ludicrous term anyway, it means fear of the same), we're the only party which would end the restriction on actively gay men donating blood.

You should get to know a party before you make such accusations; 0.3% of UKIP candidates have made newsworthy comments (the bar for which is far lower than the other parties). We expel members who breach the party constitution of being a non-racist, non-sectarian party. The plural of anecdote is not data. You should not smear a group with misconstrued euphemism because you disagree with them, let's conduct this on an open debate, not mud-slinging based on political prejudice.
Original post by Davij038
So like Nick Griffin then?

Yes. Isaac Newton studied here at Cambridge too.

It is quite a good university. You should apply!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Nickbonista
On supposed "racism", we believe it's racist to discriminate against skilled migrants from India and Australia in favour of anyone from a small peninsula of the Eurasian landmass. How about UKIP's policy of purely judging migrants on what they will bring to the country, seems the inverse of racist to me?

Australia does this scheme in the modern day to allow people to live in there country. Why is the UK a free for all and other developed, rich, countries are allowed to control there borders?

I went to a labour talk last weekend to finally make my decision on where my politic decisions lie.

"We won't allow immigrants to have benefits for 6 months?"
6 months...is that it?
They also admitted.
"Immigration will never be controlled."
If we moved to any other country we would not be allowed to exploit the system like our goverment has allowed.
Our public resources are clearly stretched, unless people have been into inner city areas, and saw suburds that have literally changed into a different country - I don't think they can judge anyone who votes UKIP.
I have walked down the streets were no one has spoken English, shops are in a different language.
People have openly admitted to me they claim benefits here to send the money back home.
The NHS is already struggling and the country wants to try and support more people?

This isn't an argument of racism, this is a plea from some citizens of britian who are worried that the country can not handle anymore a further influx of people.

As said in Australia, you must prove you have enough money to support yourself in the country, have a reference from a job which has employed you in the country or family who will agree to support you.
You have a certian period of time to then get a job or you get booted out.

Now tell me to everyone who deems it 'racist' to wish for that type of border control here in Britian, is that bad to want people to move here and benefit the country rather than exploit it?
Original post by mcgreevy1993
Australia does this scheme in the modern day to allow people to live in there country. Why is the UK a free for all and other developed, rich, countries are allowed to control there borders?

I went to a labour talk last weekend to finally make my decision on where my politic decisions lie.

"We won't allow immigrants to have benefits for 6 months?"
6 months...is that it?
They also admitted.
"Immigration will never be controlled."
If we moved to any other country we would not be allowed to exploit the system like our goverment has allowed.
Our public resources are clearly stretched, unless people have been into inner city areas, and saw suburds that have literally changed into a different country - I don't think they can judge anyone who votes UKIP.
I have walked down the streets were no one has spoken English, shops are in a different language.
People have openly admitted to me they claim benefits here to send the money back home.
The NHS is already struggling and the country wants to try and support more people?

This isn't an argument of racism, this is a plea from some citizens of britian who are worried that the country can not handle anymore a further influx of people.

As said in Australia, you must prove you have enough money to support yourself in the country, have a reference from a job which has employed you in the country or family who will agree to support you.
You have a certian period of time to then get a job or you get booted out.

Now tell me to everyone who deems it 'racist' to wish for that type of border control here in Britian, is that bad to want people to move here and benefit the country rather than exploit it?

If that's aimed at me, I'm a ukip supporter, I was making the case that we have the least racist and most sensible immigration policy.
Original post by comptroller
Yes. Isaac Newton studied here at Cambridge too.

It is quite a good university. You should apply!

Maybe for my Postgraduate, I'm at Kent University now.
If you do not vote for UKIP that is fine.

Please though understand what UKIP immigration policy is.

They want a point-based system similar to Australia, where we decide the numbers and skills.

As mentioned it is actually a much more ethical and fairer playing field.
Original post by comptroller
I will probably vote for UKIP.
I'm a student of the university of Cambridge.

Show off more.
Original post by safiaahmed
UKIP are openly racist, sexist and homophobic! I can't quite believe that they're a real party..

Well isn't it funny that they have councillors, candidates, and other members from different ethnicities, for example, Indian, African-Caribbean, Chinese, etc. They have people from with different religious beliefs: Christianity, Agnosticism, Judaism, Islam, etc. They have a vast number of councillors and MEPs from all genders, and not to mention that the person in charge of creating their manifesto for 2015: Suzanne Evans, is a woman, if you cannot tell by her name. They have an openly gay MEP, as well as many others within the party. So please tell me, how is UKIP racist, sexist, or homophobic, when they have all these people contributing to the party?

Of course, every once in a while, somebody from UKIP makes a discriminatory, offensive comment, and they get kicked out after that. But what about those who make similar comments from other parties? Why doesn't anyone talk about those? UKIP does not allow former members of extremist parties and organizations (e.g. BNP, EDL, National Front) to join UKIP. On the other hand, Labour has many ex-BNP councillors and nobody is complaining about that.

UKIP wants immigration. There are many people from all over the world who can speak English and are happy to integrate into British society that have the skills that the UK needs, and are financially sound, so they do not need to claim benefits. These immigrants are beneficial to the society and the economy. However, what we do not need are immigrants who come to take jobs that the local British population are already fighting for, and we do not need those who simply come here to live off of benefits. We also should not discriminate against the rest of the world just so we can have an open door to people from the EU. We must not have an open door. We need to count the incoming net immigration so we have sufficient resources (e.g. school places, hospital places, transport infrastructure) to welcome these new members of British society, and so that they do not affect the resources of the existing UK population. To be British is not to be ethnically British and have white skin. To be British is to embrace British culture and society, adhere to laws, and to love your country - the United Kingdom.

So please do not call UKIP an anti-immigrant party, or a racist party.
To answer to OP's question, yes, I will be voting UKIP. Of course, there will be those who try to paint UKIP as a racist, sexist, and homophobic party, and there were certainly former UKIP members who have made such comments and have been kicked out, but you cannot apply a blanket statement on a whole group of people simply based on a minority.
I am not sure what I feel about UKIP.

However, the fact they want to leave the EU doesn't appeal to me, as I am looking at possibly emigrating to another European country for work in the near future.
Original post by spurs9393
There is nothing racist or stereotypical about wanting control of our borders

Posted from TSR Mobile

Facism tends to lead to racism. But you are right, the are not the same thing.
Reply 72
Four pages of discussion and I'm yet to see any credible arguments against UKIP's policies. Apart from the obvious petulent namecalling, 'racist', 'uneducated' etc etc...TSR is full of prospective Tory toffs? Who knew...
Yes I am voting UKIP in the next general election and so are some of my friends
Original post by jf1994
Four pages of discussion and I'm yet to see any credible arguments against UKIP's policies. Apart from the obvious petulent namecalling, 'racist', 'uneducated' etc etc...TSR is full of prospective Tory toffs? Who knew...

The majority of TSR members are privileged private school kids who know nothing about the real world
Reply 75
Lulzatpeople. Sorry but there have been many tories and labour who have made racist comments. Remember ten a penny? You cannot make blanket statements like that.

I will vote for them and hope they get around 20 seats.
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
I am not sure what I feel about UKIP.

However, the fact they want to leave the EU doesn't appeal to me, as I am looking at possibly emigrating to another European country for work in the near future.

If you're good enough, they'll take you. Having an open border only benefits low-skilled workers in low-wage jobs. So if you're wanting to work in McDonalds Paris, then vote to stay, but if you suspect that France or Germany would want an investment banker, or an engineer, or
a professor of politics, then there's nothing to fear in leaving the EU.
Original post by Nickbonista
If you're good enough, they'll take you. Having an open border only benefits low-skilled workers in low-wage jobs. So if you're wanting to work in McDonalds Paris, then vote to stay, but if you suspect that France or Germany would want an investment banker, or an engineer, or
a professor of politics, then there's nothing to fear in leaving the EU.

True to a point, but it will be somewhat harder to get in. Visa application processes take a long time, and sponsorship can be a long, expensive, and less desirable process for companies. Unless there is a skills shortage, companies can sometimes be more willing to take onboard local candidates who meet the job requirements.
Original post by Unown Uzer
Well isn't it funny that they have councillors, candidates, and other members from different ethnicities, for example, Indian, African-Caribbean, Chinese, etc. They have people from with different religious beliefs: Christianity, Agnosticism, Judaism, Islam, etc. They have a vast number of councillors and MEPs from all genders, and not to mention that the person in charge of creating their manifesto for 2015: Suzanne Evans, is a woman, if you cannot tell by her name. They have an openly gay MEP, as well as many others within the party. So please tell me, how is UKIP racist, sexist, or homophobic, when they have all these people contributing to the party?

Of course, every once in a while, somebody from UKIP makes a discriminatory, offensive comment, and they get kicked out after that. But what about those who make similar comments from other parties? Why doesn't anyone talk about those? UKIP does not allow former members of extremist parties and organizations (e.g. BNP, EDL, National Front) to join UKIP. On the other hand, Labour has many ex-BNP councillors and nobody is complaining about that.

UKIP wants immigration. There are many people from all over the world who can speak English and are happy to integrate into British society that have the skills that the UK needs, and are financially sound, so they do not need to claim benefits. These immigrants are beneficial to the society and the economy. However, what we do not need are immigrants who come to take jobs that the local British population are already fighting for, and we do not need those who simply come here to live off of benefits. We also should not discriminate against the rest of the world just so we can have an open door to people from the EU. We must not have an open door. We need to count the incoming net immigration so we have sufficient resources (e.g. school places, hospital places, transport infrastructure) to welcome these new members of British society, and so that they do not affect the resources of the existing UK population. To be British is not to be ethnically British and have white skin. To be British is to embrace British culture and society, adhere to laws, and to love your country - the United Kingdom.

So please do not call UKIP an anti-immigrant party, or a racist party.

Very well said, if people actually understood what UKIP stand for, instead of believing the BBC.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending