The Student Room Group

Insomnia!

Hi Guys! I'm a 4th year undergraduate but have really been flagging this year. I've always been a moderate sleeper, not really capable of sleeping beyond 9am but over the last couple of months things have got really poor.

My nan was in hospital in January and ever since then my sleeping has got dreadful. Maybe 1 to 2 nights a week where I don't get a wink, the rest perhaps anywhere between 5 and 7.5 hours. I'm trying to find the cause, and in the meantime I intermittently take kalms and chamomile tea prior to bedtime in the hope it'll knock me out. My dad passed away 4 years ago so perhaps subconsciously the hospital environment is bringing back memories? Sleeping has become a chore and instantly panic sets in once you see it is past 4am and you haven't slept, even though I feel tired and relaxed I just can't conk out. Anyone else had this sort of phase; as its pretty dreadful, I feel exhausted, irritable and always worry one sleepless night will lead to another and so on.
I think you're worried bout your nan, you're full of nerves and as a result you can't sleep. I would recommend going to talk to your GP and see if they can do anything about it. Maybe you could go to counselling and getting things out in the open will relieve you. I find working out at the gym in the evenings tires me, maybe something like that will help you? Cut out fizzy drinks and coffee in the evenings if you have them. Things like our phones and laptops can keep us up all night, try and refrain from using these late at night. Drink tea in the evenings, it will relax you, and chat to flatmates or whoever, that too will also help to relax you. :smile:
Reply 2
My nan has passed away, and the rest of my family feel at ease now as she was suffering, yet I feel so on edge I'm worried I won't sleep again tonight. I'll take my chamomile, do some relaxation exercises but surely 2 sleepless nights would be horrible :frown:
Sorry to hear that about your nan. I've been there twice. Think about positive things and do something fun with friends. If you're busy it takes your mind off things and if you're laughing with friends even better. :smile:
Reply 4
Yeah positivity is key I guess. I had a good 6-7 hours sleep on Wednesday evening, followed by another dire sleep last night :frown: Maybe just an hour or so, fairly light sleep too. Im going to the docs today anyway, see if he can fix me up with some ICE sleeping pills if Im not asleep within 3 hours tonight. Do you get many restless nights NotJustAName? The feeling is pretty awful the next day, not sure what 2 on the trot would be like :s-smilie: Can't really concentrate and feel very anxious after ive barely slept. Not good.
Reply 5
Original post by andyrc92
Yeah positivity is key I guess. I had a good 6-7 hours sleep on Wednesday evening, followed by another dire sleep last night :frown: Maybe just an hour or so, fairly light sleep too. Im going to the docs today anyway, see if he can fix me up with some ICE sleeping pills if Im not asleep within 3 hours tonight. Do you get many restless nights NotJustAName? The feeling is pretty awful the next day, not sure what 2 on the trot would be like :s-smilie: Can't really concentrate and feel very anxious after ive barely slept. Not good.

Hey, how are you now? I'm going through a rough patch so interested to heat what worked for you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending