The Student Room Group

Does ranking/reputation of your University affect your opportunities in the future?

I have chosen my local university (Keele) over Surrey, as for me the distance is too far, and I would be at a financial disadvantage if I lived in halls (as I don't receive enough finance to cover accommodation, but my parents cannot help me financially). Also, I believe I would miss home too much, and would not cope with the homesickness.

I am worried that this decision would affect my chances of getting a job in the future. Would this be the case?

I thought employers would chose an applicant at a higher ranking university, over on at a lower ranked university? I would be applying for biochemistry related jobs.

Sorry my question isn't very coherent. Basically, are you more likely to get a job if you went to a higher ranked Uni? :smile:
Short answer: Yes it will help your job prospects
Slightly longer answer: There's not enough difference between Surrey and Keele for chemistry that it'll have a significant effect.
Original post by BringOnTheSummer
I have chosen my local university (Keele) over Surrey, as for me the distance is too far, and I would be at a financial disadvantage if I lived in halls (as I don't receive enough finance to cover accommodation, but my parents cannot help me financially). Also, I believe I would miss home too much, and would not cope with the homesickness.

I am worried that this decision would affect my chances of getting a job in the future. Would this be the case?

I thought employers would chose an applicant at a higher ranking university, over on at a lower ranked university? I would be applying for biochemistry related jobs.

Sorry my question isn't very coherent. Basically, are you more likely to get a job if you went to a higher ranked Uni? :smile:

A lot depends on the subject you study and the university's individual reputation for that subject, rather than overall rankings.

For some professions, the uni where you study your undergrad degree is seen as pretty important (e.g. law) whereas for others, where you do any post-grad study matters more (e.g. biological/biomedical sciences). For some, e.g. psychology, where most courses contain standard modules/content, where you study matters less.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the vast majority of employers will look at your degree grade (most graduate jobs need a 2.1 or above) and your work experience, before they consider things like the university where you went to. Going to Keele and getting a first would give you more opportunities than going to Surrey and getting a 2.2.

Later in life, relevant experience will matter much much more than where you did your degree.
Reply 3
I'd say SlowlorisIncognito's reply is pretty much spot on. It can be an advantage to have a university with a good reputation on your side, but I wouldn't say that you'd be discriminated against for attending a 'lesser ranked' university. Focus on extracurriculars, such as work experience and other projects, and that should speak more to an employer than the name of the university you attended.

Spoiler

Original post by k3ro
x

Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
x.

Original post by Helloworld_95
x

Thank you all. You have given me confidence in my decision!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending