The Student Room Group

Help me choose Uni and Course !

Hi, i have 4 options currently, and im really stuck on what to do;
1) Compsci at Keele (3 years)
2) Accouting and Finance (w foundation) at Kent
3) Accounting and Finance (w foundation) at Reading
4) Compsci (w foundation) at Royal Holloway
•my main choice wouldve been foundation at leicester for compsci but called too late ffs
•Reading and holloway are more respected universities however royal is my last choice ngl

Im leaning towards Keele, and then doing masters at a RG university or a better university but would the low rank of keele disadvantage me
Accounting and Finance is also much different to compsci but im interested with accounting and analyst roles. I'd also do masters at a better university, and resit my alevel during foundation.
Reply 1
Can any students that do either course give advice about ranking, etc.
Reply 2
By the time you have a first, next to no institution in the country cares about university ranking when assessing your application for a Master's.
Reply 3
Original post by gjd800
By the time you have a first, next to no institution in the country cares about university ranking when assessing your application for a Master's.

hm understood this as, when i apply for masters, the university i previously studied at rank dosent matter? But would this be a smarter idea, to go to a RG etc for masters to have more chance of good connection and grad job after completion?
I'm sure ranking matters more for A+F, esp for IB.
Original post by Anonymous
•my main choice wouldve been foundation at leicester for compsci but called too late ffs
•Reading and holloway are more respected universities however royal is my last choice ngl

Im leaning towards Keele, and then doing masters at a RG university or a better university but would the low rank of keele disadvantage me
Accounting and Finance is also much different to compsci but im interested with accounting and analyst roles. I'd also do masters at a better university, and resit my alevel during foundation.

Hi,

Obviously I am not from either of these universities so I can't give any help on that front. But I would advise you into looking into some things about these universities they may come in useful in your decision.

1. Open days - have you been to any? Open days are a great way of looking around the potential university you will be studying at seeing what the local city or town is like, how the course is, what accommodation is on offer, asking any questions you have and seeing whether you can see yourself being there for an extended amount of time

2. Look at the modules available for the different courses - see what interests you, any modules you wouldn't want to study

3. How are you graded - what assignments will you do are they varied? is it coursework based? exams? 50/50? - which do you best perform in?

4. What student support facilities do they offer?

5. Are there bursaries or scholarships available?

6. What is the employability rate for these courses?

7. What opportunities are available - do they offer industry work for a year? study abroad? what connections do they have to different companies - do they have connections to any you would like to work for in the future? Do they conduct careers fairs? Do they help with finding placement opportunities?

I hope that helps, I found asking myself these questions helped me decide on which one overall would be best for me and my future. :smile:

Rebecca
2nd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
Reply 5
hm understood this as, when i apply for masters, the university i previously studied at rank dosent matter? But would this be a smarter idea, to go to a RG etc for masters to have more chance of good connection and grad job after completion?
I'm sure ranking matters more for A+F, esp for IB.

No, the new institution won't care. They barely care about rankings as it is. Only the marketing teams do.
Reply 6
Original post by EdgeHillStudents
Hi,

Obviously I am not from either of these universities so I can't give any help on that front. But I would advise you into looking into some things about these universities they may come in useful in your decision.

1. Open days - have you been to any? Open days are a great way of looking around the potential university you will be studying at seeing what the local city or town is like, how the course is, what accommodation is on offer, asking any questions you have and seeing whether you can see yourself being there for an extended amount of time

2. Look at the modules available for the different courses - see what interests you, any modules you wouldn't want to study

3. How are you graded - what assignments will you do are they varied? is it coursework based? exams? 50/50? - which do you best perform in?

4. What student support facilities do they offer?

5. Are there bursaries or scholarships available?

6. What is the employability rate for these courses?

7. What opportunities are available - do they offer industry work for a year? study abroad? what connections do they have to different companies - do they have connections to any you would like to work for in the future? Do they conduct careers fairs? Do they help with finding placement opportunities?

I hope that helps, I found asking myself these questions helped me decide on which one overall would be best for me and my future. :smile:

Rebecca
2nd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student

Thank you for these questions, i will be researching further into both courses etc. Deadline is at 5pm today!
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800
No, the new institution won't care. They barely care about rankings as it is. Only the marketing teams do.

Alright noted. Would you say a A+F degree is respectable and worth it for the future? Im seeing Compsci as more future relevant and more negative for Accounting.
Thank you for these questions, i will be researching further into both courses etc. Deadline is at 5pm today!

Great, good luck I hope all goes well!
(edited 8 months ago)

Hi there,

I understand that you're considering studying accounting and finance at Kent. I'm happy to tell you that Kent is a great university with a lot to offer accounting and finance students. :biggrin:

Here are some of the things you can expect from studying accounting and finance at Kent:

Excellent teaching: Kent has a team of experienced and dedicated teaching staff who are passionate about accounting and finance. You will receive the support you need to succeed in your studies. We're a highly respected university with a good reputation for accounting and finance. The university's accounting and finance program is accredited by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA). This means that the program meets the highest standards of quality and is recognized by employers around the world.
Industry-standard facilities: Kent has excellent facilities and resources for accounting and finance students, including a dedicated finance lab (Bloomberg lab) and a range of industry-standard software. We are here to help you to develop the skills and knowledge you need to succeed in your career.
Supportive environment: Kent is a supportive environment where you will be encouraged to succeed. You will have access to a range of support services, including academic support, careers advice, and mental health support.
Beautiful campus: Kent is located in Canterbury, a beautiful city with a rich history and culture. You will have the opportunity to study in a beautiful and inspiring environment.
Vibrant student life: Kent has a vibrant student life with a wide range of clubs and societies. You will have the opportunity to make friends and have fun.

I'm more than confident that you would have a great experience studying accounting and finance at Kent.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me. :smile:

Warm regards,

David :smile:
University of Kent Representative
Reply 10
Alright noted. Would you say a A+F degree is respectable and worth it for the future? Im seeing Compsci as more future relevant and more negative for Accounting.

Well compsci has terrible employment prospects and accounting tends not to, so in that sense...
Reply 11
Original post by gjd800
Well compsci has terrible employment prospects and accounting tends not to, so in that sense...

Thought it is the opposite, ive seen employment rate of compsci much higher than accounting and finance. Please do tell more if you know
Reply 12
Thought it is the opposite, ive seen employment rate of compsci much higher than accounting and finance. Please do tell more if you know

Compsci employment is so bad there was a govt enquiry into it. Things haven't improved much in the 6 years since.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending