The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Uni of York vs. Uni of Nottingham

Hello! I would appreciate any and all advice/information that anyone could give on these two universities. Thank you!

I have recently gotten accepted into both the University of York and the University of Nottingham for my postgraduate studies. At York, I’ve been accepted into the Digital Media and Culture MA and at Nottingham, I’ve been accepted into the International Media and Communications MA. Somewhat similar, somewhat different. I am currently now conflicted on which university to choose between.

At the University of York, I’ve felt like the faculty has been very responsive with my questions thus far (especially within this programme). I love the city and I also have a friend who is also already at York in her undergraduate studies. Does anyone know anything about this specific programme or uni in general?

Based on what I’ve found, York is safer than Nottingham and doesn’t have a very “party city” feel (which is fine for me!). However, York seems to be more expensive to travel to and from—compared to Nottingham which is so central in the UK.

Furthermore, I really like that Nottingham’s programme includes a language learning element built into the course (this isn’t a priority for me in my future career goals, but it’s an interesting and welcoming addition). I have also found that people believe Nottingham is more “prestigious” than York, eventhough they’re both in the Russel Group. Although, Nottingham is not as safe as York.

Overall, I would just like to go somewhere I can get a great education and a career post graduation. I would love to work in the creative and culture industries sector someday, whether that be through editing/publishing/writing, in a cultural heritage site, in media, etc. I’m sure both courses can get me to where I want to be, but I would like to see if anyone has any advice, information, or experiences they’d like to share!! Thank you so much!
nottingham is way better its not even comparable
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
Hello! I would appreciate any and all advice/information that anyone could give on these two universities. Thank you!
I have recently gotten accepted into both the University of York and the University of Nottingham for my postgraduate studies. At York, I’ve been accepted into the Digital Media and Culture MA and at Nottingham, I’ve been accepted into the International Media and Communications MA. Somewhat similar, somewhat different. I am currently now conflicted on which university to choose between.
At the University of York, I’ve felt like the faculty has been very responsive with my questions thus far (especially within this programme). I love the city and I also have a friend who is also already at York in her undergraduate studies. Does anyone know anything about this specific programme or uni in general?
Based on what I’ve found, York is safer than Nottingham and doesn’t have a very “party city” feel (which is fine for me!). However, York seems to be more expensive to travel to and from—compared to Nottingham which is so central in the UK.
Furthermore, I really like that Nottingham’s programme includes a language learning element built into the course (this isn’t a priority for me in my future career goals, but it’s an interesting and welcoming addition). I have also found that people believe Nottingham is more “prestigious” than York, eventhough they’re both in the Russel Group. Although, Nottingham is not as safe as York.
Overall, I would just like to go somewhere I can get a great education and a career post graduation. I would love to work in the creative and culture industries sector someday, whether that be through editing/publishing/writing, in a cultural heritage site, in media, etc. I’m sure both courses can get me to where I want to be, but I would like to see if anyone has any advice, information, or experiences they’d like to share!! Thank you so much!

One is not more prestigious over the other, so go where ever you would like to go as you will likely have the same or similar opportunities (p.s. ignore the trolls that tell you they aren't comparable, it is simply biased people who went to one over the other, or got rejected by one and feel the need to try to downplay it, go to The Complete University Guide and York is ranked 11 places higher than Nottingham but ask someone on TSR and depending on their bias they might tell you differently, or agree with the table)
One is not more prestigious over the other, so go where ever you would like to go as you will likely have the same or similar opportunities (p.s. ignore the trolls that tell you they aren't comparable, it is simply biased people who went to one over the other, or got rejected by one and feel the need to try to downplay it, go to The Complete University Guide and York is ranked 11 places higher than Nottingham but ask someone on TSR and depending on their bias they might tell you differently, or agree with the table)
The complete university guide is based on student satisfaction. York shouldn't even be a russel group if we're being honest. Nottingham is better in rvery academic subject range as well as their employment. They are known to be a top 100 uni for most of their courses. Whilst York is In the 200 range. I don't go nottingham neither have I applied but I can say for certain it's much better. ( the social life as well)
Original post by Vlone3213413312
The complete university guide is based on student satisfaction. York shouldn't even be a russel group if we're being honest. Nottingham is better in rvery academic subject range as well as their employment. They are known to be a top 100 uni for most of their courses. Whilst York is In the 200 range. I don't go nottingham neither have I applied but I can say for certain it's much better. ( the social life as well)

I am going to have to heavily disagree with everything you have just said. I would go to york over nottingham 10/10 times and claiming York out of all russel group unis should not be a russel group is quite a statement
I am going to have to heavily disagree with everything you have just said. I would go to york over nottingham 10/10 times and claiming York out of all russel group unis should not be a russel group is quite a statement

It's not my opinion it's a fact. Nottingham is better in nearly every subject range from Medicine all the way to engineering. Check the QS ranking and any global leaderboard. More International students go to Nottingham more because of its renowned popularity and its strong academics.
It's not my opinion it's a fact. Nottingham is better in nearly every subject range from Medicine all the way to engineering. Check the QS ranking and any global leaderboard. More International students go to Nottingham more because of its renowned popularity and its strong academics.

It is times like this where i question the need for the student room to exist which simply provides a platform for unqualified individuals like yourself to talk about subjects like this.
It is times like this where i question the need for the student room to exist which simply provides a platform for unqualified individuals like yourself to talk about subjects like this.

Seemingly as you insulted me and not try to disprove any of my facts shows that im right. I gave you sources to each statement I said, so it shows that your acting solely based on your emotions. I didn't say york is a bad uni I just said nottingham is much more prestigious. Your actually the "unqualified" one as you dont want to hear the truth. Your opinion and facts are not the same so deal with it.

According to The Guardian university league tables for 2024, York is ranked 19th overall and Nottingham is ranked 59th. From a UK perspective, world rankings aren't as significant here, as most highly ranked institutions in the world are focused in research and reputation. For OP's specific course, York is ranked 27th in media and film studies and Nottingham is ranked 64th.The Guardian measures a range of factors other than student satisfaction, so this is a more reliable source if you want to check out league tables. I agree that Nottingham has a better reputation, but it's inaccurate to say that your opinion is a fact. If OP is concerned about rankings, it is their specific course rankings and overall rankings that they should be looking at, not irrelevant subjects such as medicine and engineering. OP also mentioned the student environment, cost and location, which are equally important factors.
Original post by bibachu
According to The Guardian university league tables for 2024, York is ranked 19th overall and Nottingham is ranked 59th. From a UK perspective, world rankings aren't as significant here, as most highly ranked institutions in the world are focused in research and reputation. For OP's specific course, York is ranked 27th in media and film studies and Nottingham is ranked 64th.The Guardian measures a range of factors other than student satisfaction, so this is a more reliable source if you want to check out league tables. I agree that Nottingham has a better reputation, but it's inaccurate to say that your opinion is a fact. If OP is concerned about rankings, it is their specific course rankings and overall rankings that they should be looking at, not irrelevant subjects such as medicine and engineering. OP also mentioned the student environment, cost and location, which are equally important factors.

The fact you referred to the guardian ranking says it all really.. its the most biased ranking system out there. Everyone knows this and thats the reason employers don't use it. They is QS rankings and other global rankings. Guardian is solely based on student satisfaction. It's hilarious how your using it 🤣. Did you just say medicine and engineering a irrelevant? They're the most competitive and popular course. Qs world ranking for media studies shows Nottinghams better.
The fact you referred to the guardian ranking says it all really.. its the most biased ranking system out there. Everyone knows this and thats the reason employers don't use it. They is QS rankings and other global rankings. Guardian is solely based on student satisfaction. It's hilarious how your using it 🤣. Did you just say medicine and engineering a irrelevant? They're the most competitive and popular course. Qs world ranking for media studies shows Nottinghams better.

I said that it is irrelevant for the OP. Being ranked highly in competitive courses doesn’t mean it’s ranked highly in their course.

“Qs world ranking for media studies showsNottinghams better”

Hence why I said that from a UK perspective, when considering rankings, you should be looking more so at UK league tables because QS rankings are focused on research and reputation when it comes to academic institutions. As stated above, The Complete University Guide is also a useful tool when looking at UK rankings. Since all these guides are not sufficient evidence for you to see that York is capable of ranking higher, what UK rankings do you suggest OP should use? Also The Guardian looks at things like student to staff ratio and employment after graduation, so no, it’s not all about student satisfaction. The same goes for The Complete University Guide.
Original post by bibachu
I said that it is irrelevant for the OP. Being ranked highly in competitive courses doesn’t mean it’s ranked highly in their course.
“Qs world ranking for media studies showsNottinghams better”
Hence why I said that from a UK perspective, when considering rankings, you should be looking more so at UK league tables because QS rankings are focused on research and reputation when it comes to academic institutions. As stated above, The Complete University Guide is also a useful tool when looking at UK rankings. Since all these guides are not sufficient evidence for you to see that York is capable of ranking higher, what UK rankings do you suggest OP should use? Also The Guardian looks at things like student to staff ratio and employment after graduation, so no, it’s not all about student satisfaction. The same goes for The Complete University Guide.

It is a UK RANKING. You have to categorise to your respective country. If you knew how QS works you would know that it does it off each country. The Guardian says employment rate but its not as accurate every person who knows a decent amount of leauge tables
It is a UK RANKING. You have to categorise to your respective country. If you knew how QS works you would know that it does it off each country. The Guardian says employment rate but its not as accurate every person who knows a decent amount of leauge tables

“They is QS rankings andother global rankings.“

If you were referring to UK rankings then why did you mention global rankings originally? Surely now you can understand my confusion. I’m not trying to start an argument, which is why I have also suggested other UK league tables for OP and others to use. Aside from that, like OP stated, there are other factors to consider than just rankings. Fixating on solely on league tables isn’t a helpful solution to the issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending