The Student Room Group

Trig addition formula help

simplify:

cos75sin45+sin75cos45

Already I am stuck. If it were sin (a+b) then the equation would be in the form sinAcosB-cosAsinB

but we have cos as the leading term.

I thought that perhaps it would be cos(A-B)=but we have Cos then Sin on both sides.

Therefore in such a situation, would I be required to rewrite the equation to fit an appropiate formula, then calculate the values as normal?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Well since 75-45=30 you can work back to the a-b form and then you just need to state a very simple cos

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by apronedsamurai
simplify:

cos75sin45+sin75cos45

Already I am stuck. If it were sin (a+b) then the equation would be in the form sinAcosB-cosAsinB

I thought that perhaps it would be cos(A-B)=but we have Cos then Sin on both sides.

Sin(A+B)= sinAcosB+cosAsinB not minus you have got the equation wrong. Try again see if that helps. You can always change it to the way Sin(A+B) to make it easier to solve.
Reply 3
Oh yes, well the fact that 75+45 = 120 gives you a simple sin to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by ThatGuyRik
Sin(A+B)= sinAcosB+cosAsinB not minus you have got the equation wrong. Try again see if that helps. You can always change it to the way Sin(A+B) to make it easier to solve.

So...I simplified the equation...to give me cos30+sin30

=

Is that correct?
simplify:

cos75sin45+sin75cos45

Therefore in such a situation, would I be required to rewrite the equation to fit an appropiate formula, then calculate the values as normal?

ab = ba
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem
ab = ba

Having a problem with my casio scientific calculator fx-991IES; its not simplifying surds....

is displayed as

do I have it in the wrong mode or something?
(edited 9 years ago)
Having a problem with my casio scientific calculator fx-991IES; its not simplifying surds....

is displayed as

What answer do you want it to give?
Reply 8
What answer do you want it to give?

ab = ba

is displayed as

So, I want it to show

is displayed as

So, I want it to show

You seem to be confused ... It is showing what it should ... What do you think is wrong?
Ah right ok.

I just didnt want to be losing marks for not fully simplifying the answer.

Like for example, 3y-10=x+5 would become 3y=x+15
So...I simplified the equation...to give me cos30+sin30

=

Is that correct?

indeed root3 over 2 is correct from what i know.
Ah right ok.

I just didnt want to be losing marks for not fully simplifying the answer.

Like for example, 3y-10=x+5 would become 3y=x+15

What do you want to simplify the surd to?
(edited 9 years ago)
What do you want to simplify the surd too?

Err, as it low as it can go? Or put another way, to the standard wanted/desired by the marking scheme.
Err, as it low as it can go? Or put another way, to the standard wanted/desired by the marking scheme.

That is what you have

Quick Reply

Latest