The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

mu123 or mst124

Hi all, im 55 with no academic qualifications but a few years ago whilst helping my son with his maths homework and reading the textbook I got hooked on maths. Iam retired now due to ill health so have lots of tine.

I would say im a gcse A* and am working my way through exam solutions ALevel videos and while some are challenging I love the wrestling, so in nutshell I think whilst just of average intelligence I have a real zeal for understanding and a healthy work ethic.

Looking at the ou q31 maths degree I see I can choose the gentle mu123 or standard mst124 route. With the time and enthusiasm I have I'm considering the standard choice. But I noticed on ebay you can buy the old mst121 course textbooks. So assuming this is the close equivalent of the now mst124 course I could spend nearly 6 months getting ready. Any thought's on this idea.

A general question, why was the mst121, mu120, mu123 mst124 etc replaced and are these old and new courses very similar?

Thanks for any help offered...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
If you continue studying A-level videos, and maybe some textbooks - there are plenty available on Amazon and other websites - then you should be quite capable of studying Essential Maths 1 by October. The standard start expects you to have mathematical skills equivalent to someone who has studied at least AS level successfully and therefore even reasonable skill at A-level should be enough.

Studying at the level of the course could certainly make it easier but may also make it somewhat redundant for you, as you'll already understand many of its concepts at the same level they're being taught at. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, and should ensure you get a good grade, but may make it feel like you're doing the same thing twice over.

The previous maths courses were most likely replaced in order to keep their presentation and content up to date, in addition to merging some of them together. They also added the Introducing Statistics course recently which may be related to this. Many courses are replaced with newer versions every little while - you'll notice this in the prospectuses, especially the Computing & IT one.

I'd recommend getting a prospectus from the OU website. You can have them emailed as a PDF or sent to you by post, and I'd recommend getting the one on Maths(or any other subject you're certain you want to study) by post as it is far easier to read and check that way.

If you don't feel confident to study Essential Maths 1 by the time you choose your modules then don't worry about it. The gentle start still includes all of the Maths modules you need: Essential Maths 1 & 2 and Introducing Statistics. You'll cover everything you need to be capable of level 2 Maths regardless of the route you take - the main difference is whether you study Discovering Maths or a 30 credit module in another subject.

Good luck with your studies!
(edited 9 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Urist
If you continue studying A-level videos, and maybe some textbooks - there are plenty available on Amazon and other websites - then you should be quite capable of studying Essential Maths 1 by October. The standard start expects you to have mathematical skills equivalent to someone who has studied at least AS level successfully and therefore even reasonable skill at A-level should be enough.

Studying at the level of the course could certainly make it easier but may also make it somewhat redundant for you, as you'll already understand many of its concepts at the same level they're being taught at. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, and should ensure you get a good grade, but may make it feel like you're doing the same thing twice over.

The previous maths courses were most likely replaced in order to keep their presentation and content up to date, in addition to merging some of them together. They also added the Introducing Statistics course recently which may be related to this. Many courses are replaced with newer versions every little while - you'll notice this in the prospectuses, especially the Computing & IT one.

I'd recommend getting a prospectus from the OU website. You can have them emailed as a PDF or sent to you by post, and I'd recommend getting the one on Maths(or any other subject you're certain you want to study) by post as it is far easier to read and check that way.

If you don't feel confident to study Essential Maths 1 by the time you choose your modules then don't worry about it. The gentle start still includes all of the Maths modules you need: Essential Maths 1 & 2 and Introducing Statistics. You'll cover everything you need to be capable of level 2 Maths regardless of the route you take - the main difference is whether you study Discovering Maths or a 30 credit module in another subject.

Good luck with your studies!

Thanks for this info all very helpful and informative. Do you know if this mst124 course still uses the mathcad software. I've never used this but I see it given a bad press by some who have completed the old mst121 course.
Reply 3
Original post by silverpuma
Thanks for this info all very helpful and informative. Do you know if this mst124 course still uses the mathcad software. I've never used this but I see it given a bad press by some who have completed the old mst121 course.

I can't find any specific information about what maths software is used on the course, sorry. It definitely does involve using mathematical software, but I can't see any specific details about what it is. There are no complaints about it in the reviews, so that's a good sign.

Check it out for yourself, see what you think: If you go on the OU website - Courses - Mathematics and Statistics - Scroll Down to 'Modules' - Click 'Modules' - You'll find a list of all the maths modules. If you click on Essential Maths 1 then it'll take you to the page for mst124 where you can read an in-depth description and look at the student reviews by clicking 'Read more' below either of the snippets of reviews shown.

The student reviews for the module are generally very positive, anyway, so it seems to come highly recommended.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by silverpuma

The only software I've used on the course is called Maxima, specifically wxMaxima. It's just a computer algebra software. It's a little fiddly but quite powerful.

If you're at a GCSE A* standard now, then do not even bother with mu123 as it is mostly GCSE level. MST124 is A level standard so you should be able to start that even now. Given that you have so much more time, I recommend you get the MSt 121 stuff. I think there is another course, something like MST221 or whatever, which is similar to MST125 so you might consider that too.

The stats module I have no clue about, but from what I hear it is easier than 124 and is also more boring.

The remaining module would be your choice.
Reply 5
This is all great info folks, thanks. I'll buy the mst121 on ebay and add this to my A Level studies, yum yum
Reply 6
Hi, I am just finishing the MU123 course having chosen to start on a gentle pathway. I have enjoyed the module but it has been more 'gentle' than I thought it might be. It has been a good introduction to studying maths in particular the mathematical communication side of things and completing assignments. The fact it doesn't have an exam at the end is also good. It has given me a good foundation to go on to MST124 and MST125. The fact you have a lot of time to study you might find it too gentle. What about looking at starting MU123 in October and registering to start MST124 in January?

Quick Reply

Latest