The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Using OU Credits To Get Into Uni - November Results

Hi, I started an OU Maths degree back in October then added 3 more modules in Feburary and was studying Full Time 120 credits. I was planning on using these credits to get into Year 1 of a brick uni. However I don't get my results until November. Is there any way I could get into a uni for September start? I got 96% in my first module and averaging over 80% in my other 3 modules. Is there any chance of getting onto a degree through clearing? Or are partial credits worth nothing.
Incomplete modules are not able to be used for anything really.
Have you contacted any universities to ask about using OU study for entry requirements?
Do you have other qualifications to give for their entry requirements?
(edited 2 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Yeah I've contacted a few unis and most of them need 60 or 120 credits. I only have 30 finished credits. My only other qualifications are GCSEs and AS Levels from about 10 years ago.

Considering applying for a foundation year but not sure if I'd be entitled to funding after doing a year at OU.
Original post by NedRyerson
Yeah I've contacted a few unis and most of them need 60 or 120 credits. I only have 30 finished credits. My only other qualifications are GCSEs and AS Levels from about 10 years ago.

Considering applying for a foundation year but not sure if I'd be entitled to funding after doing a year at OU.

OU funding comes under part time funding so you should still be eligible for funding for a foundation year as long as you don’t accept a qualification. I’m not 100% on that but I think that’s how it works.
Just remember that if you gain any qualification at the OU, even a Cert of HE, then it will affect your funding at a brick uni. If you're self-financing, then no issue. Of course, if you study 120 credits at Level 1 and get the Cert of HE, as long as you only studied it over 1 year, then you can use that year of study as your gift year. It's calculated as: duration of degree + gift year - previous years of study. If you don't gain a qualification, then you will be eligible for full funding. Moving from part-time to full-time is really messed up. Luckily it has loopholes. But it really needs updating as it's catching people out. It's sad as a person who studies 120 credits part-time over 1 year only gets 1 year taken off, but a person who studies the exact same modules over 2 years, so 60 credits a year, gets 2 years of previous study taken off. It's a really sad state of affairs
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks very much for the info guys. Im actually kinda leaning towards just doing a foundation year if I can get on one. So if I were to withdraw from my degree now with just 30 finished credits and 90 unfinished i wouldnt lose any entitlenent to SF? I could get funding for a foundation year and full 3 year degree? What if I did foundation year then 4 year degree like a degree with a placement year?
Original post by NedRyerson
Thanks very much for the info guys. Im actually kinda leaning towards just doing a foundation year if I can get on one. So if I were to withdraw from my degree now with just 30 finished credits and 90 unfinished i wouldnt lose any entitlenent to SF? I could get funding for a foundation year and full 3 year degree? What if I did foundation year then 4 year degree like a degree with a placement year?

As long as you gained no qualification at the OU, you will be eligible for full funding. There's a tricky way to use the OU to get into University, which is a loophole: if you studied MST124/125, you could use this as an entry onto a foundation year, or even straight into the degree as MST124/125 pretty much covers A-Level. But if you were also to study 60 credits at Level 2, you will have 120 credits, but not have gained a qualification, as you will only have 60 credits at Level 1 and Level 2, and can definitely use this to get on to a degree at probably a wider variety of Unis.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by NovaeSci
Just remember that if you gain any qualification at the OU, even a Cert of HE, then it will affect your funding at a brick uni. If you're self-financing, then no issue. Of course, if you study 120 credits at Level 1 and get the Cert of HE, as long as you only studied it over 1 year, then you can use that year of study as your gift year. It's calculated as: duration of degree + gift year - previous years of study. If you don't gain a qualification, then you will be eligible for full funding. Moving from part-time to full-time is really messed up. Luckily it has loopholes. But it really needs updating as it's catching people out. It's sad as a person who studies 120 credits part-time over 1 year only gets 1 year taken off, but a person who studies the exact same modules over 2 years, so 60 credits a year, gets 2 years of previous study taken off. It's a really sad state of affairs

Good morning,

I know I’m late to the party here but I’m in a similar situation, at the OU about to sit my second year exams which will be 240 credits completed. Will I be able to transfer to a brick uni for the start of second year. I have no A-Levels and have been studying at a rate of 120 credits a year.

Quick Reply

Latest