The Student Room Group

Question on enzymes--please help!!!

Hi, I recently did an experiment to see the how varying the effect of calcium ions (cofactors) affects the time for milk to coagulate. I know that if u increase conc of calcium ions less time is taken for milk to coagulate. However, when i did the experiment, the milk still coagulated when the conc of calcium ions was 0. how does this work. please suggest why this occurs?

many thanks
somebody please................
Reply 2
The concentration of the calcium ions in the milk is never 0.
Milk already naturally contains calcium resulting in it eventually coagulating.
Original post by kiran_m
The concentration of the calcium ions in the milk is never 0.
Milk already naturally contains calcium resulting in it eventually coagulating.

oh thank u so much.....im so grateful to u. one more question, in this experiment i had to judge when milk coagulates-i times this- what would u say is a limitation to this, i know it is subjective but how can this be overcome?

many thanks
Reply 4
Limitation: it is subjective
Solution: Drop something into the solution and time how long it takes for it to reach the bottom. This is a good indicator of consistency, i.e. the coagulation of the milk.
Limitation: The temperature of the milk is not kept constant.
Solution: Keep the milk in the water bath for the duration of the experiment.
Original post by kiran_m
Limitation: it is subjective
Solution: Drop something into the solution and time how long it takes for it to reach the bottom. This is a good indicator of consistency, i.e. the coagulation of the milk.
Limitation: The temperature of the milk is not kept constant.
Solution: Keep the milk in the water bath for the duration of the experiment.

omg u are a genuis thanks!!!!!
Reply 6
I have to do the experiment on tuesday and i don't quite understand this, can someone please explain me what you have to do?

Please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending