The Student Room Group

My A Levels are kinda ****ty, Yet I'm brilliant at one subject.

Ok, So this year I'm doing my A2s in Maths , Physics and General studies.

I'm also doing a computing AS resit, since I got a nice U last year.

From here I will go to University in September to do a foundation degree in computing and re-build the AS failure.

The question is: Will higher level universities take foundation degree students?

Here is my expected offer for when I have all 3 qualifications:

A-Level maths: A/B
A-Level physics: B/C
Foundation computing: Merit/B

What universities would accept me?, Could I apply to some right now?

(I applied to Leicester with no luck)

Also, Feel free to question my mathematical ability.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you looking to apply for entry into September 2015 or September 2016?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What subject are you brilliant at?
Original post by r-t
Are you looking to apply for entry into September 2015 or September 2016?

Posted from TSR Mobile

September 2016
Original post by SarcasticMel
What subject are you brilliant at?

While I thought it was obvious, it's mathematics
Original post by XI Ki11JoY IX

Why not just study Maths, Further Maths and Physics and then study Maths as an undergrad? Do you not find it interesting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
your a level estimated grade for maths is not brilliant. Most of the top maths unis want A*AA as a minimum. Many insist on Further Maths and Step as well. As the previous poster said you would be better off doing further maths a level than doing the foundation course if you want to study maths. Just to give you some idea of what is required Imperial Cambridge Oxford and Warwick require A*A*A with maths further maths and step Durham want minimum A*AA with A* in maths or further maths but don't require step. All these unis are looking at an ums figure in excess of 93. Bath offer A*AB with further maths and step Exeter require A*AA as do I believe Bristol but both make lower contextual offers of AAB. Lancaster offer AAA or AAB with further Maths so as you can see it is very difficult to get into the top unis. I would certainly re do your a levels next year doing Maths and Further Maths to try and get these grades if you are looking to study Maths at top unis.

You aren't taking FM...
Original post by OllieGCSEs
Why not just study Maths, Further Maths and Physics and then study Maths as an undergrad? Do you not find it interesting?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I take further maths, but it's not an entire A level, hell by the end of this year i'll be lucky to get FP1 done.
to be honest here you are highly unlikely to get into a top uni for maths unless you wait another year in school/college and do maths and further maths at a level and possibly step as well
I take further maths, but it's not an entire A level, hell by the end of this year i'll be lucky to get FP1 done.

If you're brilliant at Maths then it shouldn't be too difficult to self teach the rest of the modules

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're brilliant at Maths then it shouldn't be too difficult to self teach the rest of the modules

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure, Maybe in university (doing the foundation year) i'll self teach the rest of further pure + mechanics.
Sure, Maybe in university (doing the foundation year) i'll self teach the rest of further pure + mechanics.

Why bother? Wouldn't taking the whole FM A level this year save a year of your life spent on the foundation degree?

EDIT: It's probably too late to enter you into more modules, never mind, sorry.
Get over yourself. A/B borderline doesn't make you brilliant. Hell, with maths even an A* is common enough that it doesn't make you brilliant.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Get over yourself. A/B borderline doesn't make you brilliant. Hell, with maths even an A* is common enough that it doesn't make you brilliant.

You say I'm not brilliant yet you don't know the full extent of my mathematical knowledge, I'm simply being modest.

Besides, if there are a lot of students with A* 's in A level mathematics, why aren't they solving the unsolved mathematical problems of our time right now?
Why bother? Wouldn't taking the whole FM A level this year save a year of your life spent on the foundation degree?

EDIT: It's probably too late to enter you into more modules, never mind, sorry.

That's cool.

The foundation degree is necessary, I failed computing last year so if I want a computing degree I kinda need it.

However, since I expect my workload to light, I wanted to up my game by taking a few extra math modules.

By September 2016, my goal is to have the qualifications to get into a high end university no problem.
I've got A Levels to do and need to get 3 As so i can get into my first choice uni !

its hard work!
You say I'm not brilliant yet you don't know the full extent of my mathematical knowledge, I'm simply being modest.

Besides, if there are a lot of students with A* 's in A level mathematics, why aren't they solving the unsolved mathematical problems of our time right now?

I apologise on their behalf for doubting that you are the next Einstein, while barely being predicted an A in maths.
Assuming you're not a troll, your results and attitude tell us that, contrary to your opinion, you're not brilliant at maths. Are you hoping to study computing or maths? Some unis won't take general studies so you'd better check.
That's cool.

The foundation degree is necessary, I failed computing last year so if I want a computing degree I kinda need it.

However, since I expect my workload to light, I wanted to up my game by taking a few extra math modules.

By September 2016, my goal is to have the qualifications to get into a high end university no problem.

Not true.

If you are referring to the more respected Computer Science course (including Computing at Imperial) then you would most certainly NOT need computing as a subject. The only subject requirement is a strong command of Maths (evidenced by a good Maths A-level) - generally Comp Sci is very mathematical in nature.

A foundation year for maths would be a better idea if you end up bombing your A-level.

Tbh, just work now to get top grades. If you are actually committed I don't see why you can't achieve at least AAB (AAA would be better though).

EDIT: Scratch that. If you achieve the grades you've stated I highly question your supposed 'brilliance' at Maths - it does have the highest share of A*s so if you can't even reach that, you are just making a blunder of yourself.

In addition, just get onto a foundation year at a good uni (RG/1994) and take it from there. That, or take a gap year to do another A-level or two.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending