The Student Room Group

Gcse Biology Isa Questions HELP?

Don't worry I'm not going to dedicate this thread on cheating.

I am going to school on Wednesday and Monday from 10am -4pm to re sit 3rd time by Biology ISA
We are being taught it by the best person for this Isa.

Yes I have done 2 biology ISAs last year and I only received a E+.

However this time is my last time and I'm going to get a A* or die trying.

Now I was wondering whether you guys and girls could give me tips just on the basic things which my Section 1/2 exam will have to include for example X axis and Y axis.

On Monday I'll write up my method so you can tell me which parts need improving.

I believe that's allowed herr right? But any tips would be amazing thank you.
I'll reply back on Monday
Original post by The Lonely don
Don't worry I'm not going to dedicate this thread on cheating.

I am going to school on Wednesday and Monday from 10am -4pm to re sit 3rd time by Biology ISA
We are being taught it by the best person for this Isa.

Yes I have done 2 biology ISAs last year and I only received a E+.

However this time is my last time and I'm going to get a A* or die trying.

Now I was wondering whether you guys and girls could give me tips just on the basic things which my Section 1/2 exam will have to include for example X axis and Y axis.

On Monday I'll write up my method so you can tell me which parts need improving.

I believe that's allowed herr right? But any tips would be amazing thank you.
I'll reply back on Monday

For section 1

You will most likely need to:

Give your hypothesis

Give an explanation. A scientific one (it's not a pattern u can see by the way, or whether your hypothesis is valid)

You will need to write your method (often 9 marks). Make sure you cover all the points. Which is bullet pointed.

You will most likely have to outline 2 sources and describe their usefulness

And then there's an unknown question as my teacher calls it, it will probably be one of the ones I said below.

For the actual graph, make sure you use a scale.Also make sure you are aware of the independent variables(what you change) this should be on the x axis, with units!

And the dependent variable(what you measure) this should be on the Y axis with units!

You then need to draw a suitable line, like line of best fit or curve of best fit. If there is no correlation at all state it on your graph, and circle any results you think are anomolous.
Make sure you look at past papers

What will probably come up: For section 2

Do you have any anomalous results?

Do your results support your hypothesis?

What is the range of your independent variable? Was this range suitable

would you do any repeats?

What was the biggest area of uncertainty in your results?

How can you use repeated results to get a more accurate reading?

You will need to know how to draw a sketch graph-1 mark for correctly labelled variables on x and y-axis. One for suitable line drawn.

Are your results reproducible? Are they repeatable?

How to work out a mean (and make sure u exclude anomalous results)

Why would someone else do the investigation but get different results?/How can you get more accurate results?

You should learn your different types of errors like:random,systematic,zero

Then the case studies. Often with the case studies there's always one which has an anomalous result. You need to point that out. Or wrong mean calculated(something like that). Or different precision , often there's one, which the case study isn’t relevant as it has a different independent variable. For the graphs you need to say the range the results support given hypothesis or yours (if it asks you)

and you should know about the context. You need to say how your given context relates to your investigation.

Past paper below with mark scheme of common questions

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...-CU1-W-CAT.PDF

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...-W-SCA-CU2.PDF
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...E-GLOSSARY.PDF

What's you ISA On? Message me if you need any further help.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ScienceFantatic
For section 1

Give your hypothesis

Give an explanation. A scientific one (it's not a pattern u can see by the way, or whether your hypothesis is valid)

You will need to write your method (often 9 marks). Make sure you cover all the points. Which is bullet pointed.

And then there's an unknown question as my teacher calls it, it will probably be one of the ones I said below.

For the actual graph, make sure you use a scale.Also make sure you are aware of the independent variables(what you change) this should be on the x axis, with units!

And the dependent variable(what you measure) this should be on the Y axis with units!

You then need to draw a suitable line, like line of best fit or curve of best fit. If there is no correlation at all state it on your graph, and circle any results you think are anomolous.

You will need to know how to draw a sketch graph-1 mark for correctly labelled variables on x and y-axis. One for suitable line drawn.

Why would someone else do the investigation but get different results?/How can you get more accurate results?

Then the case studies. Often with the case studies there's always one which has an anomalous result. You need to point that out. Or wrong mean calculated(something like that). Or different precision , often there's one, which the case study isn’t relevant as it has a different independent variable. For the graphs you need to say the range the results support given hypothesis or yours (if it asks you)

and you should know about the context. You need to say how your given context relates to your investigation.

Thank you soooo much for this
I'll definitely tell you everything on Monday
Thank you soooo much for this
I'll definitely tell you everything on Monday

You're welcome. I'm happy to help :smile:
You're welcome. I'm happy to help :smile:

We did the real section 1 exam today
It's about b3.4ua pollution
Its about how plant gementation is effected by concentration of copper

How did it go?

how was it and what was the 4th question did u research 2 sources or just 1?
Reply 7
For section 1

Give your hypothesis

Hey,would you be able to help me with possible section 2 questions on the isa?
Original post by Am668
Hey,would you be able to help me with possible section 2 questions on the isa?

Sorry no
Original post by ineedhelp22
I got a d in biology coursework but a's in the other two. I think this was coz i found it so difficult. Anyways with this d will i br able to achieve an a or if lucky a* coz i am scared.

You can't achieve A* but you will need A*s in exam for A overall
I got 39 marks in the controlled assesment is that a c or have i just missed a c

AQA?
I got 39 marks in the controlled assesment is that a c or have i just missed a c

If you're on about the AQA ISAs then you're just off an A with 39/50 marks
Ocr

It may be 29 marks but could you please tell me the grades for both 29 marks and 39. I am unable to find anything to give me the information
Reply 13
hi i have a biology isa tomorrow on factors that effect body temperature. my investigation is going to be on how exercise effect body temperature. my hypothesis is if the duration of exercise changes it will change the bodys temperature.

could you please help me with ideas on how to explain my hypothesis and any question you think might come up.

sorry for short notice
thanks
Reply 14
hi
Original post by acky199
hi i have a biology isa tomorrow on factors that effect body temperature. my investigation is going to be on how exercise effect body temperature. my hypothesis is if the duration of exercise changes it will change the bodys temperature.

could you please help me with ideas on how to explain my hypothesis and any question you think might come up.

sorry for short notice
thanks

Hi
I have this isa next week. How did it go? Can you share any help or advice.?
I'm really worried about plotting my graph - I'm sure there won't be much temperature change in my results.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending