The Student Room Group

Stanford University or University of Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

programmer<3

Not necessarily. MIT and Stanford are fairly on par with the amount of silicon valley engineers they produce, no tech company will discriminate between them. I would even go further and say a lot of tech companies are willing to fly out to MIT in order to capture talent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
programmer<3

Not necessarily. MIT and Stanford are fairly on par with the amount of silicon valley engineers they produce, no tech company will discriminate between them. I would even go further and say a lot of tech companies are willing to fly out to MIT in order to capture talent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't get you. Why would employers in valley show any preference for MIT grads over Cambridge ones? Preference for stanford ones is still understandable.
[QUOTE="programmer&lt;3;54808399"]

I don't get you. Why would employers in valley show any preference for MIT grads over Cambridge ones? Preference for stanford ones is still understandable.

Hmm, maybe because MIT is in the US? I can personally attest (after being at MIT for a sizeable amount of time) that employers from all over the US are drawn there. They can vouch for the credibility of MIT grads because it's a talent stream they know of and are comfortable with.

Hiring overseas from Cambridge could pose a few more logistical issues and/or additional uncertainty. It's quite simple really, you won't be exposed to the same opportunities in the US if you were to attend Cambridge - although you wouldn't be hindered if you were to give it a shot.

You did hint at being more interested in research opportunities; with that in mind I'd go with Cambridge and make use of the Cambridge-MIT links.
[QUOTE="Princepieman;54808781"]
Original post by programmer<3

Hmm, maybe because MIT is in the US? I can personally attest (after being at MIT for a sizeable amount of time) that employers from all over the US are drawn there. They can vouch for the credibility of MIT grads because it's a talent stream they know of and are comfortable with.

Hiring overseas from Cambridge could pose a few more logistical issues and/or additional uncertainty. It's quite simple really, you won't be exposed to the same opportunities in the US if you were to attend Cambridge - although you wouldn't be hindered if you were to give it a shot.

You did hint at being more interested in research opportunities; with that in mind I'd go with Cambridge and make use of the Cambridge-MIT links.

Yeah. I do understand the "MIT is in the US" point. However, as I said, I can always go to MIT for grad. And I won't work until after my grad studies. So my current focus is to get myself the best undergraduate education which will prepare me for a strong grad.
Ask an MIT prof in the department you want. They will see products of both places, and may have some guidance for the person they'll be admitting in four years.
Reply 185

Yeah. I do understand the "MIT is in the US" point. However, as I said, I can always go to MIT for grad. And I won't work until after my grad studies. So my current focus is to get myself the best undergraduate education which will prepare me for a strong grad.

Don't think it's that easy to go to MIT, even from Cambridge. You'll be in competition with HYP graduates.

Original post by Camilli
Ask an MIT prof in the department you want. They will see products of both places, and may have some guidance for the person they'll be admitting in four years.

I hope that a MIT prof has better things to do than answering questions from an 18yo applicant. He would look very pretentious.

MIT has perhaps a dedicated service for this sort of question.
Original post by Josb
Don't think it's that easy to go to MIT, even from Cambridge. You'll be in competition with HYP graduates.

I hope that a MIT prof has better things to do than answering questions from an 18yo applicant. He would look very pretentious.

MIT has perhaps a dedicated service for this sort of question.

Cambridge is held in much higher regard for sciences at least than Harvard and specially Yale. I think only Princeton holds a candle to the strong science departments of Cambridge.
Cambridge is held in much higher regard for sciences at least than Harvard and specially Yale. I think only Princeton holds a candle to the strong science departments of Cambridge.

Um i'm pretty sure Princeton is known for arts rather than sciences. Harvard has a stronger science program than both Yale and Princeton though.
Original post by Okorange
Um i'm pretty sure Princeton is known for arts rather than sciences. Harvard has a stronger science program than both Yale and Princeton though.

Heh? Princeton has a much stronger array of hard science programs (granted, not post grad) than the other two. Namely: Maths, Physics, Computer Science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Heh? Princeton has a much stronger array of hard science programs (granted, not post grad) than the other two. Namely: Maths, Physics, Computer Science.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Princeton has a liberal arts education. At the undergrad level esp in the US most teaching is going to be the same, and good across all small private rich unis like HYPSM.

For graduate science where research is conducted Harvard definitely is tops followed by Yale then Princeton. Princeton does not have a big grad school, no med school, small town, no law, no business school. Its grad program is mainly strong in History, Arts and Public Policy etc.
Reply 190

Surely you mean MIT, not Princeton?
Don't know if this has been mentioned already but SBS is also a solid place to be at, incase if you choose to go down that route.
What a lovely problem to have! Congratulations on your offers, it's amazing! :smile:
NYU is the #1 in the world for philosophy?? Are you sure? How was your GPA? That seems a lot more competitive than I would have thought.
Reply 194

I mean that you won't be the only one to have a degree from a top school.
Reply 195
Original post by Okorange
NYU is the #1 in the world for philosophy?? Are you sure? How was your GPA? That seems a lot more competitive than I would have thought.

Isn't he speaking of Chicago?
Although there appears to be an, ahem, philosophical debate about the rankings:

http://philosophyrankings.com
(edited 9 years ago)
The debate is about the validity of philosophical gourmet, not QS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If both QS and Philosophy Gourmet put NYU first in the world/first in the US its enough for me to know that NYU is very good at philosophy. Never knew that at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending