The Student Room Group

Am I good enough for Harvard?

I'm currently getting straight 9s in 11 GCSEs (I'm in Year 10 so this could change, though hopefully not) and I'll list my extra-curricular. I'm concerned about whether I'm doing enough or not because I had my career interview with my school and they said I'm doing as much as I can clearly so Harvard (+ some other schools) could well be an option, so at least my application would be good.

Basically, I play volleyball local-league level and am hoping to do regional and maybe even national in the next 2-3 years. I volunteer weekly at a charity, I do ballet weekly, and I have been part of a religious and ethnic community where I have done community work regularly for the past 10 years, and I do Rangers.

I'm currently working on a local maths competition result, but I'm also waiting on a national language competition's result as well and we'll see how that goes. I plan on participating in the SMC in future years and the BPhO too hopefully. I'm getting in some work experience in research soon and hope to in upcoming holidays. I'm also planning on applying to PROMYS Europe next year and right now at least, I'm starting to study for the ACT as I'm taking it in Year 11, rather than Year 12, as I'll be quite busy with schoolwork+ecs then so it seems better as GCSEs are pretty lightwork anyway.

For A-levels, I was talking to my advisor and she said I could take 5 A-levels though whether the school will allow me depends on how well they think I could cope. Though it's likely they'll let me at least try and I'm free to drop the subject if it becomes too much, though I don't want my lack of an A-level to be the reason I'm not as good as other applicants.

Anyway, if anyone has advice or feedback it would be very much appreciated :smile:
Nobody can tell you but harvard
Reply 2
Original post by physicschemgal
I'm currently getting straight 9s in 11 GCSEs (I'm in Year 10 so this could change, though hopefully not) and I'll list my extra-curricular. I'm concerned about whether I'm doing enough or not because I had my career interview with my school and they said I'm doing as much as I can clearly so Harvard (+ some other schools) could well be an option, so at least my application would be good.

Basically, I play volleyball local-league level and am hoping to do regional and maybe even national in the next 2-3 years. I volunteer weekly at a charity, I do ballet weekly, and I have been part of a religious and ethnic community where I have done community work regularly for the past 10 years, and I do Rangers.

I'm currently working on a local maths competition result, but I'm also waiting on a national language competition's result as well and we'll see how that goes. I plan on participating in the SMC in future years and the BPhO too hopefully. I'm getting in some work experience in research soon and hope to in upcoming holidays. I'm also planning on applying to PROMYS Europe next year and right now at least, I'm starting to study for the ACT as I'm taking it in Year 11, rather than Year 12, as I'll be quite busy with schoolwork+ecs then so it seems better as GCSEs are pretty lightwork anyway.

For A-levels, I was talking to my advisor and she said I could take 5 A-levels though whether the school will allow me depends on how well they think I could cope. Though it's likely they'll let me at least try and I'm free to drop the subject if it becomes too much, though I don't want my lack of an A-level to be the reason I'm not as good as other applicants.

Anyway, if anyone has advice or feedback it would be very much appreciated :smile:

Why Harvard specifically though?
Original post by subbhy
Why Harvard specifically though?

To be honest, I'm more specifically aiming for Caltech because its an amazing school for research in physics and I feel I'd be in a great environment there; but I put Harvard in my post because most people know what that is and people qualified for Harvard are usually qualified for Caltech too.
Go for it if you have the money (it's very expensive), and apply for UC's as well since those love international (esp UK) students.

If you want to go for STEM academia (judging from your nickname) in the future I'd say US undergrads is significantly better than the UK for various reasons. I personally regret going for Cambridge as it's very difficult to get into Top 5 graduate programs in the US even if you're top of the class at Oxbridge. While the inverse direction is much much easier....
Ah i see you're going for physics, which is exactly my sub field. In such case Harvard Princeton Caltech UCB Stanford MIT are the best, followed by UCSB, UCLA (maths related), PI (Canada) etc.,

anyway it's a lottery unlike the UK so it doesn't hurt to apply for as many as you can. I'd say any top 20 schools in the US will be a better choice than Oxbridge if you want to do a physics PhD.
Original post by physicschemgal
To be honest, I'm more specifically aiming for Caltech because its an amazing school for research in physics and I feel I'd be in a great environment there; but I put Harvard in my post because most people know what that is and people qualified for Harvard are usually qualified for Caltech too.

Caltech is a great school for physics and the people are great, but the administration really sucks and smothers student life wherever possible.
Reply 7
Original post by ry7xsfa
Caltech is a great school for physics and the people are great, but the administration really sucks and smothers student life wherever possible.

American university administrations all do suck, but on the plus side, at least you aren't at Stanford - e.g. https://www.thefp.com/p/stanfords-war-against-its-own-students, https://www.palladiummag.com/2022/06/13/stanfords-war-on-social-life/ etc.
Reply 8
Original post by username6079303

Your application looks fine, but keep in mind no applicant, bar one whose parents donated half a billion dollars, is guaranteed a place. That being said, you do have a good chance.

Personally, I don't think doing 5 a-levels instead of 4 would be a significant boost to your application. You are probably better off doing four, and using the extra time to pursue extracurriculars further, work on essays (which will be a huge factor in your application), and the like.
Original post by username6079303

5 A-levels? Honestly if you can manage this and all of that, might as well go to university a year early. I think you have the capability to go to elite universities a year early, and you can apply to Carnegie Mellon in Y12 (they have a dedicated system for this)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending