The Student Room Group

Aerobic Respiration

What is the difference between oxidative phosphorylation, ETC and chemiosmosis? All I know is that the reduced NAD and FAD from glycolysis and Krebs cycle is used but I'm not sure how they are involved in the 3 processes.

Thanks
Original post by N.Choi
What is the difference between oxidative phosphorylation, ETC and chemiosmosis? All I know is that the reduced NAD and FAD from glycolysis and Krebs cycle is used but I'm not sure how they are involved in the 3 processes.

Thanks

oxidative phosphorylation involves 2 stages, namely ETC and chemiosmosis.
1) ETC takes place first of all whereby the nadh and fadh2 are oxidised releasing hydrogen which splits into protons and electrons. The electrons move along the ETC and they lose energy at each carrier. The energy lost is used to pump protons into the intermembrane space from the mitochondrial matrix forming an electrochemical gradient. This causes the concentration of protons in the intermembrane space to be greater than the concentration of protons in the mitochindiral matrix so a concentration gradient is created.

Now the CHEMIOSMOSIS!
2) This high concentration gradient casues the protons to move down the concentration gradient from the intermembrane space into the mitochondrial matrix through an enzyme ATPSynthase. The energy generated from this movememnt drives the addition of phosphate to ADP to form ATP.
(A general definition of chemiosmosis is the formation of ATP due to the energy created as protons move through ATPSynthase)

and voila these 2 processes make up oxidative phosphorylation.
hope i helped!
Reply 2
Original post by Paras Agarwal
oxidative phosphorylation involves 2 stages, namely ETC and chemiosmosis.
1) ETC takes place first of all whereby the nadh and fadh2 are oxidised releasing hydrogen which splits into protons and electrons. The electrons move along the ETC and they lose energy at each carrier. The energy lost is used to pump protons into the intermembrane space from the mitochondrial matrix forming an electrochemical gradient. This causes the concentration of protons in the intermembrane space to be greater than the concentration of protons in the mitochindiral matrix so a concentration gradient is created.

Now the CHEMIOSMOSIS!
2) This high concentration gradient casues the protons to move down the concentration gradient from the intermembrane space into the mitochondrial matrix through an enzyme ATPSynthase. The energy generated from this movememnt drives the addition of phosphate to ADP to form ATP.
(A general definition of chemiosmosis is the formation of ATP due to the energy created as protons move through ATPSynthase)

and voila these 2 processes make up oxidative phosphorylation.
hope i helped!

Ahh ok, thank you very much :biggrin:. I read something about oxygen as the last carrier. Is this part of chemiosmosis?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by N.Choi
Ahh ok, thank you very much :biggrin:. I read something about oxygen as the last carrier. Is this part of chemiosmosis?

sorry i forgot to add... the protons and electrons combine with oxygen which is the final electron carrier to form water. hence in the respiration expression we have the release of water!
Reply 4
Original post by Paras Agarwal
The electrons move along the ETC and they lose energy at each carrier.

Are you sure they lose energy, I thought the electrons gained energy in order for them to pump the protons across the membrane to create th proton gradient? Seems logical to gain energy to pump protons across?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NutE
Are you sure they lose energy, I thought the electrons gained energy in order for them to pump the protons across the membrane to create th proton gradient? Seems logical to gain energy to pump protons across?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes 100 percent sure! the energy lost at each carrier is picked up by the protons and drives them into the intermembrane space

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending