The Student Room Group

biology help

Some ATP is formed in the cytoplasm and some in the mitochondria. Use the information given to calculate the number of molecules of ATP formed in a mitochondrion from one molecule of glucose in aerobic respiration. Show how you arrived at your answer.

a) The flow chart shows the main stages in aerobic respiration.

jAnswer is 36, how?
Original post by jAlAl12362
Some ATP is formed in the cytoplasm and some in the mitochondria. Use the information given to calculate the number of molecules of ATP formed in a mitochondrion from one molecule of glucose in aerobic respiration. Show how you arrived at your answer.

a) The flow chart shows the main stages in aerobic respiration.

jAnswer is 36, how?

Glycolysis splits glucose into two molecules of pyruvate. Glycolysis has a net again of 2 ATP as it forms four but hydrolyses two beforehand.
Also forms 2 NAD for each triode phosphate (so 4 total)
Each pyruvate molecule enters Krebs cycle forming 1 ATP (2ATP total for both pyruvates)
I can’t remember the name of the third stage of respiration (oxidative phosphorylation?) as I did it several years ago. Double the number of reduced NAD and FADs formed: 6 reduced NADs and 2 reduced FADs
Remember that the H+ which makes these molecules reduced is transported across the inner membrane in the mitochondria via transporter proteins. They then travel back up via a proton pump which turns around providing the energy to from ATP from ADP + Pi.
In the question it tells you how many ATP are formed from both reduced NAD and FAD: 3ATP from NAD and 2ATP from FAD

From Glycolysis and Krebs you have 10 reduced NAD and 2 reduced FAD. This provides 3 x 10 =
30 ATP from NAD, 2 x 2 = 4 ATP from FAD

Total so far is 34 and we still need to add the four ATPs generated earlier (2 from glycolysis and 2 from Krebs)
So I make it a total of 38!
Glycolysis takes place in the cytoplasm, the question says the number of ATP formed in the MITOCHONDRION. So take away the 2 from glycolysis, you get 36
Original post by sameer_2651
glycolysis takes place in the cytoplasm, the question says the number of atp formed in the mitochondrion. So take away the 2 from glycolysis, you get 36

dont you have to take off the 2 nadh(6atp) formed in glycolysis too?
Original post by bluestarr35910

Original post by NMauger96
Glycolysis splits glucose into two molecules of pyruvate. Glycolysis has a net again of 2 ATP as it forms four but hydrolyses two beforehand.
Also forms 2 NAD for each triode phosphate (so 4 total)
Each pyruvate molecule enters Krebs cycle forming 1 ATP (2ATP total for both pyruvates)
I can’t remember the name of the third stage of respiration (oxidative phosphorylation?) as I did it several years ago. Double the number of reduced NAD and FADs formed: 6 reduced NADs and 2 reduced FADs
Remember that the H+ which makes these molecules reduced is transported across the inner membrane in the mitochondria via transporter proteins. They then travel back up via a proton pump which turns around providing the energy to from ATP from ADP + Pi.
In the question it tells you how many ATP are formed from both reduced NAD and FAD: 3ATP from NAD and 2ATP from FAD

From Glycolysis and Krebs you have 10 reduced NAD and 2 reduced FAD. This provides 3 x 10 =
30 ATP from NAD, 2 x 2 = 4 ATP from FAD

Total so far is 34 and we still need to add the four ATPs generated earlier (2 from glycolysis and 2 from Krebs)
So I make it a total of 38!

Reply 5
Original post by bluestarr35910

the NADH forms ATP in the ETC, so it would take place in the mitochondrion, technically.

Quick Reply

Latest