The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

are we treating pedophile the same way we treated homosexuals a century ago?

Scroll to see replies

wow you did not just compare pedophiles to homosexuals

the point is all about consent- obv a child cant consent. maybe if they dont act on those urges and seek help then yes - it should be seen moe sympathetically
I sort of think so because i know for a fact that certain countries like Saudi Arabia will do something horrendous to you like Hitler did to the Jews.

Tbh,imo some people in todays society are not better than Hitler
Reply 42
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Sometimes I'm tempted to punch people who annoy me in the face, should I be locked up just in case?

You're trying to rationalise it.

This will be the next thing to come out of the loony bin, "equal rights for paedophiles".
Reply 43
Original post by privat

This will be the next thing to come out of the loony bin, "equal rights for paedophiles".

We've already been there with PIE.
Original post by privat
You're trying to rationalise it.

Paedophiles already have equal rights, admitting you're attracted to children currently has no legal consequences. You're basically advocating convicting people for thoughtcrime.
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Paedophiles already have equal rights, admitting you're attracted to children currently has no legal consequences. You're basically advocating convicting people for thoughtcrime.

So if I admitted I had the urge to kill people that would have no legal consequences?
Original post by The Reasoner
So if I admitted I had the urge to kill people that would have no legal consequences?

That depends on whether you show any sign of intending to actually carry out that urge.
Reply 47
Original post by The_Internet
I dont know how. Im not a psychologist, or any one who truly knows how the mind works, and I guess for the second one,

Well if it's hard wired like heterosexuality or homosexuality is then surely there's not much that can be done about it.

it's for those that have desires to groom kids as it were and trying to stop those,

So it's not specific to paedophiles, its about a desire to rape?

I dont think that the majority of people here would need to be told to "not rape" But I'd like to think that there's more to it than that!

How do you mean?
Original post by n00
Well if it's hard wired like heterosexuality or homosexuality is then surely there's not much that can be done about it.

So it's not specific to paedophiles, its about a desire to rape?

How do you mean?

I dont know. I've never had to go to one of these things... Like I said Im not a psychologist. I just know that there IS help out there.

Also I was getting at that Id like to think that these places are more than just "You must not rape" considering I think theyre over a length of time?
Original post by the north
im talking about how we preceive as disgusting creatures even though many would tell they dont choose to be attracted to children.

Worse. People treated homosexuals like they should be cured, people treat paedophiles as if they should be killed.
Reply 50
Consent.
I would like to ask all the fools.. I mean people... why they do not recognise that a lot of paedophiles develop sexual attractions to children because of sexual abuse as a child. And even though you find it disgusting, what on Earth gives you the right to think that they're automatically terrible people. p.s. on about those who don't act upon it

---

You would not be able to stop your normal heterosexual/homosexual/bisexual attraction by snapping your fingers, why must you demand that a paedophile does the same thing? It requires A LOT of therapy and hard work to overcome a paraphilia (or fetish) like that.

Some of the people in this thread are the reasons why a lot of paedophilic individuals will be scared to confide in anyone or any medical professional about their sexual attractions.

I find the hypocrisy of society so ****** ironic sometimes: "Hey it's cool you're attracted to guys, not like you can help it or choose!" vs "YOU'RE ATTRACTED TO KIDS WHY DID YOU CHOOSE THAT YOU SICK FREAK STOP BEING THAT WAY".

People in this thread need a serious reality check and to get their ignorant heads out their arse.
(edited 9 years ago)
I was referred to an article about this issue a while ago. It's an interesting insight into the situation: https://medium.com/matter/youre-16-youre-a-pedophile-you-dont-want-to-hurt-anyone-what-do-you-do-now-e11ce4b88bdb?%3Fc=upworthy
Original post by the north
im talking about how we preceive as disgusting creatures even though many would tell they dont choose to be attracted to children.

Well as far as I see it there needs to be a classification made here between two groups.

1) Those who are attracted to children but have not acted upon it.
2) Those who are attracted to children but have acted upon it.

Anybody who falls into category 2 should be arrested and charged, but that's not the problem here.

The problem is that we as a society treat those who fall into category 1 as monsters, have very little support or assistance available to those who are in that category and want to ensure that they don't end up doing anything inappropriate. They're viewed as monsters even if they haven't done anything indecent and many of them are too scared to come forward to try and get help, if any is even available, to prevent them from acting on their desires.

People have to stop having the idea that anybody who is attracted to children is a terrible person. Firstly they don't choose to have that attraction, and surely anybody who recognises that it's wrong and goes to seek help shouldn't be looked down on for doing so, they should be applauded for taking steps to ensure that they are able to live without acting on the attraction that they have.
It is an interesting argument. Pedophilia is a psychiatric disorder, an involuntary disorder that people don't choose to have. Pedophiles who seek therapy (though no therapies have actually been proven to have "cured" this disorder, inspiring even more sympathy from me), I feel sorry for.

And then there are pedophiles who ACT on these sexual desires, not to generalize all of the people who suffer from this disorder, of course. I am not sympathetic towards these people because the legal concept of consent comes into this, therefore making it wrong in legal terms, but more importantly, it is a universal moral taboo to engage in sexual activity with children much younger than you. Desires transferring into actions, physical actions is the distinction that people need to make.
Reply 55
I've been saying all this for like years and people thought I was disgusting and a paedophile sympathiser! I have no sympathy for those that act on their urges and knowingly hurt a child, but no one can help their thoughts or feelings. There should be help available for them, it could prevent a lot of child sexual abuse.
Original post by kiki37
I've been saying all this for like years and people thought I was disgusting and a paedophile sympathiser! I have no sympathy for those that act on their urges and knowingly hurt a child, but no one can help their thoughts or feelings. There should be help available for them, it could prevent a lot of child sexual abuse.

I wholeheartedly agree. People have a strong knee jerk reaction to this topic, they can't seem to get their head around the fact that having the mental desire is one thing (not ideal but certainly shouldn't be illegal) and acting on it is something entirely different.

There should definitely be confidential help given to those who seek it, and should be supported as far as possible, not vilified for simply being who they are.
Original post by n00
They're only attracted to children?

What kind of help can we give them? Are you saying they need more help to stop them from committing rape than non paedophiles?

It doesn't matter if they're only attracted to children or not. Any sexual attraction to children is a demonstration of paedophilia.

No, you've just committed a strawman there because I never made that comment, nor did I infer it.

I said that we need to offer more support to those who need and want it. At the moment if you try to approach most people, even in the medical profession, about having such feelings, you'll often be turned away and spat at in disgust. Instead, we need councillors and suchlike who are prepared to support grown adults with finding coping strategies and ways of never acting on their desires. Imagine how isolating it must feel to be someone with paedophilic feelings? In many ways, this probably causes them to act out - because society doesn't care for them, therefore why not? It's almost like they have nothing to lose. Treat these people like humans and they'll probably act like them. Equally, treat them like animals and that's probably how they'll behave.

Original post by Odd socks
I have no sympathy for paedophiles, whether they 'act on it' or not, it's disgusting.

and I can't believe you're comparing healthy attraction to the same sex to an adult being sexually attracted to a child. they're in no way similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll find it hard, but imagine if that was you. Imagine it was you who had these horribly strong feelings/urges towards children that you never wanted not chose to have. It's easy to sit back and say it's disgusting when most of us are just outsiders to paedophilia who have never experienced sexual feelings towards children. The point is, it's wrong to condemn inactive pedophiles who are actively keeping away from children and finding coping mechanisms. That takes a pretty strong person.

I don't think any of us are saying it's the same. What we're saying is that it's a dispositionary part of some people's brains. It's not something they choose to feel, just as no homosexual chose to be gay. Myself included.

Be careful not to mistake us for condoning paedophilia. We're not - or I'm definitely not anyway. I'm condoning those who feel such feelings seeking help and finding ways of coping and abstaining from any involvement with children. Child molestation is horrible - there's no doubt about it.
This thread was closed by accident and is now open again. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Original post by Reluire
This thread was closed by accident and is now open again. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Ahhh I was wondering why this was closed, cos there was none of the usual trolly-nes that happens with these kinds of threads. Thans for re-opening :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending