The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is it ok for men to cry?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by matthewduncan
Whats right with it?
Ive already gave reasons why its not good so i would like to now know your reasons why its "right"

What do you mean what is right with it? It need not be 'right' in order to be 'not wrong'. Emotions simply are. We have them and what is wrong with that? Sure some emotions can have negative side-effects; like depression, hysteria, mania, etc. But that doesn't mean that the default position is 'emotions = bad'.

I haven't seen any of your 'reasons'. You say they are 'weak' but, again,that already assumes that it is bad and hardly can be a reason for it to be bad in the first place. So i'll ask again: What is wrong with having emotions? And what is wrong with feeling/acknowledging/expressing said emotions?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by matthewduncan
Whats right with it?
Ive already gave reasons why its not good so tell me why is it "right"

People can't cope with being strong 24/7. The pressure and Mental strain would just get too much! Like pumping a balloon - let a little air out and it will be fine. Keep on just pumping and pumping it up and eventually the pressure will be too great and it will burst. Surely a little cry now and then is a lot better than a mental breakdown.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Of course it's okay - everyone experiences emotions. I see no reason why men shouldn't cry.
I think regardless of your gender, it is okay to cry. It means that you're alive, you can feel, and you're not numb emotionally. But don't be a cry baby. If you feel like you wanna cry when every little thing happens, you need to find what's causing you to act that way, and overcome that issue. Basically learn to toughen up. It's difficult to live life in this world if you let emotions keep getting in your way. (am trying to follow my own advice too. lol)
You don't need permission.
And why can't they cry? they are human, they have lacrimal glands and they can use them for their intended purpose.
We have this stereotype that if man cries, he shows his weakness. But I don't think so. People are not made of stone, they have feelings and there is nothing wrong with that.
However, if he does it very often, demonstratively and in public, it will seem strange to me.
But if a girl does that, then I will also think it's weird.
I believe that is alright for anyone to cry, regardless of their gender. The stereotype of men seeming stronger if they do not cry and suppress their emotions is ridiculous and has led to there being higher suicide rates for men. The strain of having to seem cold and unfeeling has negative impacts on physical health as well, as it could effect blood pressure, memory problems and damage the immune system. To conclude I believe that men do not need permission to cry as it should be normalised.

Latest

Trending

Trending