The Student Room Group

Birmingham or Exeter?

Hi, I have 5 offers from Birmingham (AAA), Bath(AAA), Exeter(AAA), Newcastle (AAB) and Cardiff(ABB)
I'm thinking that I'd pick Cardiff as my insurance, Newcastle is just way too far away from where I am in the south west.
Basically, I'm predicted AAA, but I'm not 100% confident in my ability to actually get these grades - obviously I'm going to try my absolute hardest and it could just be last minute nerves before firming but I know I'll have to work hard for an A in maths..

I've got an offer from Exeter of AAA in my subjects 'including Mathematics' but on their website they state that typical requirements are AAA-ABB including at least a B in maths? If this was the case Exeter could be great for me because it is close to where I live and I know the area well!
On the other hand, Birmingham is AAA as well, so they're the same offers I've got and it is the highest ranked of all my offers and after visiting an applicant day I really loved the university (I haven't been to Exeter) ..However Birmingham specify I need an A in maths

I'm not saying me getting an A in maths is impossible, but I know that if I didn't get an A in maths and I could have put Exeter as my firm and gone to a much better uni than Cardiff I'd kick myself!!

So all things considered, Exeter or Birmingham?
I would say Birmingham. Exeter's course is not even accredited. Exeter has been known to heavily target league table scores while they don't really have a whole lot to back up those rankings. The data regarding the rest of the details about the course (employment, satisfaction etc.) can not be found on sites such as Uni Stats. Seems really dodgy.
Birmingham by a country mile - it's a great department, and a sizable one, whereas Exeter is much less powerful as a CS unit: fewer staff, less variety.Exeter, in general, has traded a lot on pitching itself upmarket while, overall, not exactly being a prestiguous power-house of research. As an academic, I've no close association with either department, but if you were a member of my family, I'd be encouraging you to choose Birmingham...
Reply 3
You should really go and quickly visit Exeter. If you do, then for sure the choice will be easy and you will choose Exeter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending